Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bose L1 tower with stereo keys

For a while now my band has been using multiple Bose Towers. My setup includes a Yamaha digital piano and a Hammond XK5. I had been running both in mono. The Hammond sounds fine but the piano never sounds as good as I would like. I have been wondering if the mono configuration is the problem.

I never explored trying to run at least the digital piano in stereo. I was wondering if any of you are using the towers and if you have come up with any creative configurations to improve sound, or at least use a stereo configuration?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With a mono PA try using the R output from the best stereo piano voice. This has been my standard setup with a CP4 for many years.

The R signal will give you the clearest sound for your right hand while still giving your left hand audibility but with less low bass content (which works well when playing with a bass). And this setup eliminates any nasty phasing issues that come from collapsing a rich stereo image into mono.

I can't think of any easy way other than trying @PianoMan51's solution above. The challenge is getting a decent, balanced soundstage, and most folks would say the best way to do that is using two-of-like-kind. Two Bose L1 towers just to get stereo for your keys sounds very indulgent to me, but also a lot of schlep and stage real estate. But jeez it would sound great everywhere. A small, inexpensive mixer can bring in the XK5.

Alternatively, maybe sell the L1 and get two smaller powered PA units -- plenty of choices. You'll gain stereo, but lose the ability to fill odd-shaped spaces and balanced presence that the L1 is so good at. And then there are all-in-one stereo solutions like the CPS V.3 that I'll use when space is at a premium and/or minimal schlep is desired.

Or just hang with mono for now. A single L1S or L1 Model II isn't a slouch, but can come up short when it gets loud.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

If you"re using a T1 mixer and two towers, here is a way to go stereo. Plug one output of your keyboard into a T1 channel and plug the other output into another channel. On the T1, set the aux output on one channel at 100% and the other channel 0%. Set the main outputs the opposite. Run a cable from the from the T1"s aux output to the other tower"s ¼' jack. You can either run a cable from the T1"s main output jack to the tower"s analog input ¼' jack or use the Ethernet cable. Unfortunately this method occupies two of the four puts. I use a small secondary mixer for other things and run that into the 4/5 input channel.

Channel 4/5 will sum the two inputs into a mono signal. That summing is not as good as summing with your keyboard if you have that option.

Obviously if you have two towers, you can plug the two cables from the stereo out of your keyboard into the analog input 1/4" jacks and control the volume with the trim knobs. The analog inputs have nothing to do with the ethernet from the T1, you can use both at the same time in a tower.

I've found in a band situation (guitar, bass, drums and keys), the difference between stereo and mono is hard to tell. Solo piano and/or with acoustic guitar it's very noticeable.

Yes, you can use two Bose L1s for stereo. However, a caution. The wide dispersion of the two towers creates the possibility of phase interference. There is probably a 'magic spacing' that will minimize this potential issue. This is not a problem with the original concept of using a single Bose system for each instrument.

I tried everything I could with a single L1 Model II to get a good piano sound. Never could do it, but the only samples on the keyboard were stereo. My solution - I got 2 QSC K10.2s. Now I"m happy.

Yes, using the L(mono) only will give you a 'mono" signal by combining the L & R signals into one. For the majority of digital pianos and VSTs I"ve played this sounds worse than either L or R by itself. So I pick the R signal for the reasons stated above. On my CP4 this sounds better than the 'mono" presets too.

Use your own ears.

Would a passive DI box make any improvement in piano sound quality before going into the Tonematch?

No, not really. To summarize, (a) find a good mono sound, (b) use something to mix stereo to mono, losing a bit in the process, © get two of something. A small mixer can help in each of these. ToneMatch doesn't do stereo well, but it does have nice presets which you might be using.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Haven"t heard Bose but RCF Evox pair for an entire band, electric drums, and it was perfect for 50-75 seat room.

Club owners/bartenders/waitresses love it.

DJs were once the masters of small sized rooms but the game seems to change if an electric drummer can good sound person are used with well tuned arrays.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Haven"t heard Bose but RCF Evox pair for an entire band, electric drums, and it was perfect for 50-75 seat room.

DJs were once the masters of small sized rooms but the game seems to change if an electric drummer can good sound person are used with well tuned arrays.

+1 another shout-out for the impressive RCF EVOX J8. In addition to @hardware, we've used them outdoors at bigger gigs 200+ w/sub.

I agree with your comment on DJs vs band. If you can tame the sound, that is. Getting the drummer on IEMs or headphones makes it easier for them to switch to digital drums.

+1 another shout-out for the impressive RCF EVOX J8. In addition to @hardware, we've used them outdoors at bigger gigs 200+ w/sub.

I agree with your comment on DJs vs band. If you can tame the sound, that is. Getting the drummer on IEMs or headphones makes it easier for them to switch to digital drums.

Had the pleasure only once with a modern electric drummer.

It was a great 2 years to be able to play any gig without crying front persons drowned by cymbals behind their head.

Really makes a difference having modern sounds for each song instead of grandpas kit every Damn time.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic