Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Selling on Reverb?

I'm new to Reverb.com. I tried to start a new listing item For Sale. They responded by telling me I had to have a Credit Card number on file BEFORE I could start a Listing. I tried to get help from their CHAT. Total BS. I will NOT put my CC on file FIRST, even WALMART allows customers to enter it LAST after all information is complete. Why? The Internet is NOT SAFE. Leaving a file open on the internet while entering all the information they required to complete the transaction is SUICIDE. They are as bad has FEE BAY. I have instruments I want to sell but on-line resellers make it WAY too difficult. Drop back 10 and punt.

• Like 2

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The problem I have with them is the procedure they want me to follow in order to use their web site. It is way too easy to get my credit card information stolen if its on display on their website. Banks and even Walmart are smart enough to require the CC number to be entered LAST so it can be encrypted when you press SEND to finish the transaction, That is much safer. If that is the only way to put something up for sale, then I will not deal with Reverb OR FEE BAY.

• Like 1

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Whenever you submit it, it's encrypted. It's not like shopping at Walmart, where the credit card answers the question of how you'll be paying for items you selected, and if you don't have one, no problem, the transaction just doesn't happen. It's opening an account specifically for monetary transactions. If you can't complete those transactions, no account would or could be made for you. This workflow makes complete sense to me. What is the objection exactly?

• Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

My objection is putting my CC information onto their website fIrst Before entering any other data. It takes a lot of time to enter the rest of the information, as well as copying pictures into the For Sale Ad. All the while my CC info is on the screen. My info is not encrypted until I send it. unacceptable.

5 minutes ago, MikeT156 said:

My objection is putting my CC information onto their website fIrst Before entering any other data. It takes a lot of time to enter the rest of the information, as well as copying pictures into the For Sale Ad. All the while my CC info is on the screen. My info is not encrypted until I send it. unacceptable.

You should be able to bring up the form, unplug your internet connection, fill out the form and then plug the internet back in, no?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

1 hour ago, MikeT156 said:

Forgive me if I've misunderstood your concerns but I think they may be misplaced.

Just because something is visible on your screen does not make it visible to the Internet. Your card details are only on your computer, not sent anywhere else until you submit the form. It makes no difference if your card details are entered first or last, displayed for 10 seconds or 10 minutes *

* as long as no one is staring at your screen through the window. 

If something nasty is on your computer, capable of reading your card details, it will happen in milliseconds. You can't beat it to the draw. 

Banks don't put these details last for security. It was originally done like this online to mimic how you pay in a shop. No one hands their card over till the last step of the purchase. 

I've written commerce software for banks and large businesses as part of my day job. There is zero risk to entering your card number first. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I've never tried it, but you might take a look at Sweetwater's gear exchange. 

Thanks! I didn't know that SW HAD an exchange! Oddly enough the first instrument I want to sell is my Alesis ION that I bought from SW when it was a current model!

38 minutes ago, ProfD said:

@MikeT156, you have been a member here long enough to list your gear in the KC Classifieds. It's free. No personal info required.😎

Yeah I know brotha. Its a small audience, so I don't know if anyone would be interested. The first item I want to try to sell is my Alesis ION.

20 minutes ago, Ibarch said:

Forgive me if I've misunderstood your concerns but I think they may be misplaced.

Just because something is visible on your screen does not make it visible to the Internet. Your card details are only on your computer, not sent anywhere else until you submit the form. It makes no difference if your card details are entered first or last, displayed for 10 seconds or 10 minutes *

* as long as no one is staring at your screen through the window. 

If something nasty is on your computer, capable of reading your card details, it will happen in milliseconds. You can't beat it to the draw. 

Banks don't put these details last for security. It was originally done like this online to mimic how you pay in a shop. No one hands their card over till the last step of the purchase. 

I've written commerce software for banks and large businesses as part of my day job. There is zero risk to entering your card number first. 

I could have Spyware on my PC. Not sure. I still have Windows 7 and I do have some security software but I don't know if my PC is safe. I do appreciate you educating me I never trusted the Internet.

34 minutes ago, MikeT156 said:

I could have Spyware on my PC. Not sure. I still have Windows 7 and I do have some security software but I don't know if my PC is safe. I do appreciate you educating me I never trusted the Internet.

If your PC did have spy ware, it wouldn't matter how you entered your card details or how long they were shown. The only safe way would be never to enter them on that pc. 

To reassure you, whilst there is a lot of malware around, if your card details were grabbed, they tend to be used quickly. Thiefs don't pass up on potential opportunities. If you haven't seen unauthorised transactions on your account, you probably haven't had your details stolen. 

I would always recommend using a credit card rather or pre paid debit card for online transactions. Never a debit card on your main bank account. That way, if the worst happens you can isolate it and shut it down without it affecting your day to day fianances. 

Yeah, I may consider Sweetwater Gear Exchange for my Claravox Theremin that I bought from them, if they have a good trade-in policy, now that they carry orchestral instruments. Maybe even for my Pro3 or Prophet XL if I sell those too. I no longer have boxes for bigger stuff and can't find any at stores either. Not sure if Sweetwater's a better way to go than Chuck Levin's though, who are nearby.

I've rarely been able to sell anything on the forums here, probably due to how the ads work. I don't like not being able to edit them; it makes them too confusing as to status, price, availability, etc. CL doesn't get much response and Fee Bay isn't much better these days. I never joined reverb for the reasons Outkaster mentioned.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

14 hours ago, MikeT156 said:

Yeah I know brotha. Its a small audience, so I don't know if anyone would be interested. The first item I want to try to sell is my Alesis ION.

Sure. But, it's the *right* audience for the gear you're selling.

A member here might know someone who wants to buy that piece of gear you're selling. Just another avenue to consider. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I may go ahead and list it here, as soon as I determine if the battery is ok and everything is in working order.

On 3/19/2023 at 5:07 PM, MikeT156 said:

Mike, if you need the user manual to help the sale, let me know, as I still have mine from when my Ion was stolen years ago, as I stored the manual separately.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

On 3/19/2023 at 4:07 PM, MikeT156 said:

I think I saw in another thread that brother Marino's ION which he uses for teaching, is dying. He might be interested in yours. 

• Like 1

Moe

---

Sweetwater has their "Gear Exchange" now for selling used gear. I sold a pair of SD pickups and it was easy peasy. I have on DI box up, and I also had a guitar up for sale. What I think is that people who shop Sweetwater GE are not looking to spend what an item is worth, just looking for cheap deals. 

BUT, the sign-up was easy, the payout was quick, but if you're looking for fair money quickly, not my first choice. Maybe when it catches on, it may get better. SW is a great resource for new stuff @ list price. If ppl can find good deals on GE, who knows, but I wouldn't list if I had to pay my rent. 

• Like 1

What?

5 hours ago, Old Music Guy said:

I received a reply email this morning asking that I send pictures to "my father" at some email addy and he "would buy it and arrange for pickup".

Yeah. NO.

Let the scams begin 🤪

Definitely ignore that message.  It's the Reverb equivalent of a fly or mosquito.😁😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I sold a guitar for a friend of mine last summer on another forum (that I won't mention). It was a gorgeous Tele with a case for a great price. The person I sold it to filed a complaint with PP saying that the guitar was "not as described". This was 5 weeks AFTER he (purportedly) had the frets redone and had broken the truss rod. I sent PP all the correspondence regarding the transaction and they determined that his claim was meritless. THEN the person filed a chargeback with PP, which I had to pay back to PP. After that was "resolved" I claimed a chargeback on he/she, which was then adjudicated between the banks. In December, my bank informed me that I had lost. BUT, for the measly sum of $589.00, I could go to arbitration, with no guarantee that I would get my money back. At this point, I'm out almost a grand, AND had no guitar.

To make a short story long, I looked at my PP account so I could claim the loss on my income tax, and lo and behold, PP had refunded my money. 

To say the least, I am very skeptical and extremely cautious when buying or selling anything on line. Call it mosquito repellant :) ☠️

What?

1 minute ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Try placing a want ad in your local print newspaper. You will rejoice in how wonderful the Reverb platform is, perceived flaws and all.

Scammers abound, no doubt. 

I have sold many items on our local craigslist and the "scare the scammers" line seems to be "Local cash sale only, I will not ship this." I put that on every post. 

I've still had a couple of obvious scammers send me an email via the craigslist platform, I just delete it and they go away. 

9 minutes ago, Old Music Guy said:

I don't know where you are @KuruPrionz, but I'm pretty much in the middle of nowhere, Anyone east of me would need to travel a bit to get here (you can't get here from there!). West of me there is no market. 

I'm in the middle of Bellingham WA. Small but growing city of just over 100,000 people, right on the Pacific Coast and about 25 miles south of the Canadian border. 

To the west is the Salish Sea and eventually islands with people on them. 

I started selling on eBay in Fresno CA in 2000. I haven't used Reverb that much yet.