Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

rare gig

Holding back the years tribute 5- Lizottes.jpgOn Friday 7th May, I got to play a gig at a really beautiful boutique music venue called Lizottes. It was a tribute to the music of Simply Red. The venue is a great spot for dinner and live music and has hosted many many great aussie artists. It was a real treat for me to play the music of one of my favourite bands at such a lovely venue and the members of the band are all fantastic musicians. Was a highlight for me. We put the show together during last years covid lockdown and were able to play it at 2 or 3 boutique live music venues earlier in the year. Alas we are now in lockdown again in Sydney.

I've tried attaching a couple of photos, not sure if they will show up. Just though I'd share

2136.thumb.jpg.a0a2b4c0535c255722c12caf981c497c.jpg

2138.thumb.jpg.957fc7436b295761c94ab661c6dc2357.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read that he went through a period of living the rock star life of countless girls, parties and drugs minus the destruction of hotel furniture but in recent decades he has seemed like a nice guy who recognized and corrected the errors of his ways. From my perspective Simply Red looked like a one hit wonder. I did see music videos now and then following Holding Back The Years but nothing grabbed me. Then a few years ago I discovered all of the material that they had produced. He has managed to sell records and make a lot of money through the internet and touring. They are very popular outside the USA selling out stadiums and arenas.

Apparently, there are no other founding members left in "Simply Red." It has been primarily Hucknall writing then the touring band supporting his songs. There have been more consistent members in the touring band more recently. They had lined up a European tour for 2020 which was aborted by Covid-19. I was hoping they eventually came near me so I could see them. He is only 61 and still has the full range of his voice. At one point he left Simply Red so he could perform material without the expectations of being "Simply Red" but I guess he was ready to perform as Simply Red again. During the last tour he made a point to credit the touring band as being Simply Red, maybe he felt loyalty all around warranted it.

I read that he went through a period of living the rock star life of countless girls, parties and drugs minus the destruction of hotel furniture but in recent decades he has seemed like a nice guy who recognized and corrected the errors of his ways. From my perspective Simply Red looked like a one hit wonder. I did see music videos now and then following Holding Back The Years but nothing grabbed me. Then a few years ago I discovered all of the material that they had produced. He has managed to sell records and make a lot of money through the internet and touring. They are very popular outside the USA selling out stadiums and arenas.

Indeed - their first single was a big hit here:

[video:youtube]