Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What else uses Medeli from PC4?

Anyone know of any other 'boards or controller 'boards that use the exact Medeli keybed that is in the PC4? (with the aftertouch as well)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

yep, knew about that one - ummm, not really the style :D and it has no aftertouch either ;)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Very nice chart, but nothing about PC4 here, because it is Medeli chart, that's understandable. I am asking because this Polish reviewer exactly in 1:23 says that the keybed has escapament.

It amazed me, because I didn't expect it, I thought maybe only "electronic escapement" - third sensor but without the "notch" feel. I know this is a video directly from Musikmesse, maybe that was only his impression when playing PC4 for the first time.

Kurzweil has on its PC4 website RPHA: Real Piano Hammer Action / 88-note, fully-weighted hammer-action with velocity and aftertouch sensitive adjustable keys and it is more marketing than actual info of action model.

I don't know if Kurzweil had written "K6" on its website for SP6 before, but now it has only 88 note fully-weighted hammer-action with velocity sensitive keys , same written for SP1

I also read there about SP1 that it has K6 action, known from SP6, there is also mentioned here that K8 has three sensors. So I thought that in Kurzweil range maybe PC4 may have this.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=pl&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fm.midifan.com%2Farticle_body.php%3Fid%3D6540&prev=search&sandbox=1

Maybe "Real Piano Hammer Action" refers just to grading of hammer weights across the keyboad range.

Yes, I see this chart

obraz-2021-07-04-121141.png

None of Kurzweil portable boards do have ivory and ebony finish, AFAIK. So this detail can exclude K8, unless there is a custom action for Kurzweil with mixed features.

Unfortunately I haven't played those new Kurzweil - Medeli - actions enough, only SP6 some time ago. So can you confirm there is no three-sensor behaviour of the action of PC4?

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

Indeed, it"s no vanilla K6 action, it"s a K6S (graded) plus aftertouch.

Not according the specs...well, the ones I saw...

So could it be a K8? Would love that.

Again, does the keybed of PC4 behave like a three sensor action? Or not? Surely it has no ivory feel but that's only surface texture.

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

Again, does the keybed of PC4 behave like a three sensor action? Or not?

I never tested for that behavior when I had one. I'd be shocked if it did, since it's nowhere in the specs or features list. It would be like buying a Honda Civic and discovering that it unexpectedly had a V-8 engine. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Regarding 3 sensor action, do you need to have one to have a high trigger set for organ?

No. In fact, on non-hammer boards (which are the majority of high trigger boards), I can't think of any that have more than two sensors except Hammond XK5. (And maybe some of their non-portables, I've never looked at those.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

So could it be a K8? Would love that.

Again, does the keybed of PC4 behave like a three sensor action? Or not? Surely it has no ivory feel but that's only surface texture.

Again, I"ve got no idea how a three sensor action behaves. Describe it to me.

I"ll take a shot at the three sensor process.

In a two-sensor keybed, the velocity of each keystroke is determined by measuring the time from when the key passes the upper position (slightly depressed) to when it bottoms out. The shorter the time, the higher the velocity. The key must return to the top before this time can be measured for the next key strike, therefore, fast repeated keystrokes can be difficult because of the time it takes for the key to return to the top.

With a third sensor, the velocity can be measured from a middle sensor point, not needing the key to return to its full height to start the next key strike. Faster repetitions are thus possible.

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

Again, I"ve got no idea how a three sensor action behaves. Describe it to me.

Without using the sustain pedal, see if you can strike a key, release it somewhat but NOT quite enough to silence the note (it will take a little trial and error to be able to locate that point), and see if you can play the note agin striking from only that height. If you hear a new strike without having silenced the note first, you have 3 sensors. If you find it impossible to do so, you probably do not have 3 sensors.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Now this Medeli bed on the PC4-7, after searching around on Google I understand it's not that far from the bed in the SP4-7, which I absolutely couldn't stand at all, ended up selling that one despite the fact that it's a lightweight PC3 (inside) and would have made perfect sense for the band rig I have put together, having the PC3 at home and the SP4-7 in the rehearsal and on gigs.

Now I'm looking to grabbing something else for home, and letting the PC3 stay in the rehearsal in the end. First the PC4-7 looked like the perfect one, after having discarded the 2700 as it's too big for my Jasper's set up at home, and me not being a pianist, I have no use for an 88. 

Now I'm looking at the Forte 7 instead, hoping it's not TOO heavy in the action.

I love the bed in the PC3, but I definitely want that FM engine....

Anyone with experience of these machines on combo (any of the above) who have some interesting input about the keybeds?

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Band Rig: PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

3 hours ago, J.F.N. said:

Now I'm looking at the Forte 7 instead, hoping it's not TOO heavy in the action.

The Forte 7 has Fatar's TP40L, which I found "more than light enough" without being so light that expressiveness is lost. Of course this is subjective, but having played quite a few hammer-action boards, this one is definitely one of the lighter ones (alongside Kawai's ES110).

Cheers, Mike

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

The Forte 7 has Fatar's TP40L, which I found "more than light enough" without being so light that expressiveness is lost. Of course this is subjective, but having played quite a few hammer-action boards, this one is definitely one of the lighter ones (alongside Kawai's ES110).

Cheers, Mike

This is exactly what I wanted to hear, sounds right up my alley, then probably in the hoods of the PC3 - Great thanks for the input!!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Other stuff: Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro

The Artis7 had the PC3 action in a lighter box, and compatibility with all PC3 sounds... but doesn't give you the FM engine of more recent models. Maybe you could get the FM you want from an attached external device, like an iPad running KQ Dixie.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

The Artis7 had the PC3 action in a lighter box, and compatibility with all PC3 sounds... but doesn't give you the FM engine of more recent models. Maybe you could get the FM you want from an attached external device, like an iPad running KQ Dixie.

Yeah I saw that, and no, I want a Kurzweil board with "all inclusive", I already have an Opsix as well, and I think the Forte 7 hits the head on the nail here!

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

Just adding... I am a relatively new Forte 7 user (bought it from a forumite last year), and I am loving the action. In my opinion it is very light (and maybe shallower than some), but sturdy, and allows for expressive piano playing. If I felt like going back to moving long, 50lb+ boards around I'd snap up a full-sized Forte for gigs when I need a full-size board.

• Love 1