Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some Essential Electric Guitarists

Skip, Let us not forget to add Kenny Loggins and Jim Messina to the list. A couple of great guitarists, song writers and singers all in one. Here's a 3 song sample of my favorite LIVE album. It's another of the greatest live albums ever recorded IMHO. A double album set and I love every song on it. Thanks for reminding me:

:cool: :cool:

Loggins and Messina were great, Jim Messina was also in Buffalo Springfield and Poco. I will say that the time I saw Loggins and Messina live, Taj Mahal opened as a solo act. At one point he led a stomp and shout called Shake It On Down, up on stage with a banjo he had over 7,000 people clapping, stomping and shouting at the top of their lungs. In terms of showmanship, he pretty much ate L&M's lunch.

I stayed and completely enjoyed their set but Taj owned the audience in a way I've rarely seen.

Which reminds me - Buffalo Springfield, without whom California Country Rock would not have been the same. Stephen Stills and Neil Young on guitar. Neil may not be a virtuoso but you always know it's him when he plays.

Randy California from Spirit was exceptional live as well.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks Larryz-

Unfortunately there's a message-it's in Japanese but i don't have to translate it-'You-yes you-can't watch this video'.

I hate that.

In any case, I had 'Angry Eyes' stuck in my head recently. Such a great arrangement,

with musicians actually playing music.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Skip, Their Live on Stage album was recorded back in 1974. A double album set with one song Vahevala taking up one whole side of a 33rpm. Not only were their arrangements great on all of their recorded albums, their improv in front of huge live audiences was just flat great. Their two guitar leads were inspirational for many bands to come. Not to mention the leads were all original as were the chords and lyrics to some great material that inspired a lot of singer songwriters. One of my favorite songs that sticks in my head is Danny's Song. It tells the story of my early married life and though the name is not mentioned in the tune, It inspired me to name my son Danny... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Gonna toss in Grady Martin, he is on more records than any of us will know but you will all recognize the nylon string leads on El Paso.

Except, that's Grady playing a hollowbody electric guitar with steel strings. One of country's great players.

Skunk Baxter, the other end of the balance in sensibilities from Denny Dias, played many of the great, & greatly memorable, solos on the first several Steely Dan albums, as well as very tasteful & appropriate pedal steel parts.

Skunk Baxter steered me wrong at a NAMM Show in Chicago back in the late 1960's/early to Mid1970's. he was working for Akai. Akai made a really crappy Guitar Synth, and thinking he was OK I went out and bought the thing, and it was utter crap compared to the Roland stuff I had at the time, which worked very well and The Skunk swore that the Akai stuff was superior to the Roland GM 70. Whatever he has done in life since I have no interest in.....The Akai came with it's own guitar and that sucked as well.

Skunk Baxter steered me wrong at a NAMM Show in Chicago back in the late 1960's/early to Mid1970's. he was working for Akai, that did a really crappy Guitar Synth, and thinking he was OK I went out and bought the thing, and it was utter crap compared to the Roland stuff I had at the time, which worked very well and The Skunk swore the Akai stuff was superior to the Roland GM 70. Whatever he has done in life since I have no interest in....

What he has done since is become a three-piece-suit-clad defense department consultant, as well as a pro gun rights candidate (unsuccessfully) for some municipal position somewhere in the Southwest. Which I would hold in the same ill regard as you do with the Akai recommendation, but the time he spent with Steely Dan was still, at least musically, time well spent.

Scott Fraser

Skunk Baxter steered me wrong at a NAMM Show in Chicago back in the late 1960's/early to Mid1970's. he was working for Akai, that did a really crappy Guitar Synth, and thinking he was OK I went out and bought the thing, and it was utter crap compared to the Roland stuff I had at the time, which worked very well and The Skunk swore the Akai stuff was superior to the Roland GM 70. Whatever he has done in life since I have no interest in....

What he has done since is become a three-piece-suit-clad defense department consultant, as well as a pro gun rights candidate (unsuccessfully) for some municipal position somewhere in the Southwest. Which I would hold in the same ill regard as you do with the Akai recommendation, but the time he spent with Steely Dan was still, at least musically, time well spent.

i heard about his work with DoD, not the rest of it. Jeez, is that some kind of contagious `Uncle Ted` virus or something?

Gonna toss in Grady Martin, he is on more records than any of us will know but you will all recognize the nylon string leads on El Paso.

Except, that's Grady playing a hollowbody electric guitar with steel strings. One of country's great players.

And, the first "fuzz tone" ever recorded on a hit single was Grady Martin playing on an amp that had become extremely defective. 1961, the fuzz box is born.

Bill Frissell and Lindsey Buckingham.

The first because chops, smooth melodic delivery, just a great and influential guitarist.

The second because hugely under-rated and was the only guitarist on one of the most popular and listened to albums in pop music history - Rumors by Fleetwood Mac.

Learn to play The Chain like Lindsey and get back to me (hint, it's double drop D capoed to the second fret so double drop E). Maybe not a shredder but a guitarist/composer of note and his chord choices and voicings in general are interesting to say the least.

+1,000 on Lindsey Buckingham. I saw him live with the Mac a few years back and he was just fantastic. Lots of original guitar work on Fleetwood Mac's albums. He uses a lot of amps and speakers on stage to re-create live what they recorded in the studio. He put his heart into keeping it real and studied his studio recordings so all of his guitar parts came out great for a huge live audience. The cameras would zero in on his finger work and the whole show was fantastic. The rest of the band were great too LoL! Mac without Lindsey doesn't do it for me... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

+1,000 on Lindsey Buckingham. I saw him live with the Mac a few years back and he was just fantastic. Lots of original guitar work on Fleetwood Mac's albums. He uses a lot of amps and speakers on stage to re-create live what they recorded in the studio. He put his heart into keeping it real and studied his studio recordings so all of his guitar parts came out great for a huge live audience. The cameras would zero in on his finger work and the whole show was fantastic. The rest of the band were great too LoL! Mac without Lindsey doesn't do it for me... :cool:

I really loved the Fleetwood Mac album Kiln House, that was a great record. They were also really good when Peter Green was playing with them. So they've had their moments pre Lindsey.

I saw Fleetwood Mac during the Bob Welch era, probably a low point for them. The lineup was Rory Gallagher, Fleetwood Mac, Deep Purple and I went to see Deep Purple. They were great but Rory stole the show.

• Like 1

Great tune Kuru!

:thu:

It's one of my favorites off Rumors. I love this one too, Christine McVie somehow makes me think of a British female Smokey Robinson and the band is cookin'.

• Like 1

My gf used to play Rumors obsessively whenever I visited. I liked it better than most of her other choices-my intro to Mac was 'Bare Trees".

But over time it grew on me. I appreciated smart parts more, in addition to-not to say instead of-blazing solos.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...