Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Any RC enthusiasts here?

I enjoy RC Cars more than anything else. Have 7 Traxxas vehicles but nothing major, yet. Also have a few small Losi's. Let batteries corrode the controllers on the Losi's so I am thinking about getting a Spectrum DX5 Pro to replace the messed up Losi controllers. Have a Traxxas TQI 4 channel coming and I hope to consolidate my Traxxas cars to one controller. Made my biggest purchase yesterday when I ordered a Traxxas Slash Ultimate. I wanted a basher with upgraded parts. My biggest disappointment has been my mini E-Revo 1/16 VLX. Not quite big enough for running around in my yard. I almost bought a full size ERevo 2 instead of the Slash Ultimate but I have a feeling that it is time for Traxxas to put out version 3 and fix a few problems. So I will hold off of the Revo for a while and see what happens. Next will probably be a crawler. Lots of places in the area for that.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, RC aircraft for 40+ years. Always helpful to have a second ridiculously expensive hobby! Mostly precision aerobatics and giant scale; the nice thing about keyboards if that if you dumb-thumb it you're not left with a smoking hole in the ground. I could buy a CS-80 or a Jupiter 8 if I had those losses back :-)

Kurzweil PC3x - Polybrute - Voyager XL - Minitaur - Roland PK-5 - Integra-7 - TR-8s - KArp Odyssey

"Prog keyboardists are supposed to look like they're manning the helm of the Starship Enterprise..." -synthizen2

Yup, RC aircraft for 40+ years. Always helpful to have a second ridiculously expensive hobby! Mostly precision aerobatics and giant scale; the nice thing about keyboards if that if you dumb-thumb it you're not left with a smoking hole in the ground. I could buy a CS-80 or a Jupiter 8 if I had those losses back :-)

I also enjoy RC aircraft but I'm just an observer. Always loved RC cars but again I'm just an observer. They are so fast you need some good open space. At least with planes you have the open sky. I have visited RC airplane sites but someday would love to see these behemoths.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I've watched a few YouTube videos on best starter RC plains for under $200. They look fun and interesting. Problem is the closest RC Airfield is 40 miles away and it has been closed for Covid for over a year. When you live in the hills a good spot is hard to find.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

No planes yet -- although I've always wanted a red-nosed P51 Mustang like my Dad serviced as "A Flight's", Flight Chief in England during WWII, as his base (the 4th Fighter Group) was the original Eagle Squadrons and had the highest kills of any Fighter Group in the European Theater. They also put the first P51s over Berlin too, and that's when Goering looked up and saw fighters over Berlin and said "the jig was up".

I do have the ProBoat 47' Coast Guard MLB which is a twin-screw, that I updated to have trim tabs, counter-rotating motors, brass propellers and a revolving radar sweep.

Here's a real one in action:

utxBRNg.jpg

And mine on a rescue mission after my daughter t-boned my son's RC boat:

HNVcH9v.jpg

The first ones were painted all white, and it didn't take too long for the Coasties realize all the extra weight the paint added -- plus all the extra maintenance and upkeep that would be needed -- so all the later ones were left as unpainted aluminum.

Cheers!

Old No7

edited to add:

This would be the Mustang for me -- WD A from A flight -- my late father spent hours on this plane, and the pilot was an awesome PIANO player too!

BOAyWpt.jpg

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Helis, fixed wing, drones ( camera ships plus FPV) for over 20 years. Just got into ground pounders to enjoy with my grandsons. Started with the Axial SCX24 crawlers, and will graduate to some 1/10 scale Arrma Granites. I still have a fondness for the Tamiya oddballs and just finished Vanessa's Lunchbox. The Mighty Dump Truck and Diecast Masters Cat Excavator are favorites. It's all fun.

IMG_002653.jpg

IMG_002601.jpg

2061.thumb.jpg.90c6251884bf38db5a8dfda937d9adce.jpg

2062.thumb.jpg.23c73ee80662740c75c80e2e0635b46a.jpg

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I briefly dabbled--my son sounded interested, turned out he lost that interest--and I REALLY don't need another expensive hobby! Music, keeping aquariums and kayaking among other things have already got me tapped.

That said, one thing that has piqued my interest is drones and drone photography--some of the kayakers and fisherman types I watch on youtube get some truly amazing footage with drones.

A few years ago someone out back of where I work had about a four-foot helicopter. I was absolutely shocked at how fast that thing could go, and how it could change directions in an instant. It didn't look real to see something that large whipping around so fast. It actually made me quite nervous to be near, as he had the thing whipping back and forth in front of him just skimming the ground, I reckon if that hit you you'd be in bad shape.

Yep sure am and was. Started in about 1978 racing offroad tamiya Sand scorchers etc thru to RC10s, then Losis then schumachers. Also on road my favourite being Mardave Mini stock.

I collected cars since then and have so many cars I am over the mess so am trying not to collect anymore for my wifes sake of getting stuck with them.. I don't enjoy bashing cars only racing them and due to my health with my dicky lungs I can't Marshall at club races so I can't race anymore as it's courtesy to marshal. I enjoy the racing for the thrill of coordination and the excitement of running a car you built and setup and not for the trophies. I had a shitload of trophys from racing and threw them away in my last move as they mean nothing.

I also had in 85 the first and I believe only brick and mortar shop that dealt with only used cars I rebuilt for racing ( No new stuff thats what's makes it different) hence I am a bit of an expert on rebuilding and the history of many early cars (not current cars) I did trade ins for my buyers so they got a sorted car and i rebuilt theirs or wrecked them for parts. I left the hobby when brushless motors and lippos came and in and have no interest in them . Purely old school.

Its a coincidence you bought this up as I just started writing adverts for them to let them go offering to swap for synthesizers. I've already let some go that many call holy grail cars. Yes they are collectable like synths. Some collectable ones on their own worth as much as decent synths. I say this on here not to advertise these as you are all overseas so not local for swapping but what a coincidence it's mentioned on here.

I'm offering swapping as the money just disappears on the house or bills and doesn't buy me a synth but swapping gets me a new toy. But also as i am worried when i cark it my wife will be stuck with oodles of rc cars and parts. Ironically they will be worth more than synths but it will be easier for her to off load synths as I have a friend that could help her. I have no rc car friends to help since moving. And dont say to me swapping doesn't or wont work as already I swapped a windsurfing mast for a cheap controller keyboard I don't need or want but I wanted the mast gone as it took up space. (My windsurfing days are long over )Hee hee

I'm going to keep some cars especially my mardaves minis

One stupid swap I did though back in the 80s was swap my registered Morris Minor (real car) for a Hirobo Helicopter. (They were expensive back then) The morris kept going up in value while the heli would of gone down. Luckily I didn't try to fly it thus saving it crashing and sold it years later. But had i still had the morry It would have increased in value in that time.

I did a swap the other way recently of all my old speakers and an amp for wargaming figures. I do wargame and paint them so I was very pleased to get rid of speakers and an old amp as old PA gear is hard to shift. I'm curious to see if my vintage radio control cars get any swaps of a synth someone bought in the pandemic and lost interest as They weren't really Musos. It's a test thing too.