Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does VB3m sound same as Mojo 61?

VB3m is an organ app for iPad or iPhone by GSI. Is it as full-sounding or thinner than the Mojo 61?

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

***It is based on v1.4 rather than v2***

Code is the same - compiled for iOS or for Windows/Mac OS. He definitely would have had to work on the graphics to get the user interface functional on iOS. Is the DA conversion different on an iPad vs. his silicon in the Mojo? Yes. Is it recognizable in A/B testing. Probably a bit from laptop, to desktop, to iPad, to Mojo. Could you pick out which is which? Probably not, but maybe. You can also use any number of audio interfaces for iPad to compare as well. Latency on a modern iPad should be negligible to you as well. You have a fairly recent model?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

VB3m based in VB3-1.4 engine, Mojo 61 is VB3-II

That"s fairly lame, but not unexpected. I am guessing he dreamed this up as a way to avoid cannibalizing sales of Mojo, Mojo Desktop and Gemini hardware. VB3m is $13.99 and Apple takes 30%.

But VB3II is available for Mac/Win however for $147 USD. Not sure if PayPal takes a cut - I assume so for a business account.

That makes sense, but I guess the main reason is to make it available and running in basically ANY device. Kudos to them for that and to make it VERY afordable.

Even if it is VB3 1.4, that´s still a first tier clonewheel sound, isn´t it?

Now, gimme the Seven in the same format LOL.

VB3m based in VB3-1.4 engine, Mojo 61 is VB3-II

That"s fairly lame. I am guessing he dreamed this up as a way to avoid cannibalizing sales of Mojo, Mojo Desktop and Gemini hardware. VB3m is $13.99 and Apple takes 30%.

But VB3II is available for Mac/Win however for $147 USD. Not sure if PayPal takes a cut - I assume so for a business account.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Looking ahead, I hear we are expecting Pianoteq on iOS at some point, surely the M1 iPad Pro can run it. It will be disappointing if they feel they need to offer it at a low price and water it down or limit it. Maybe not though, since they can continue to sell their models through IAP.

9eokfv6a7wzt.jpeg

I am guessing he dreamed this up as a way to avoid cannibalizing sales of Mojo, Mojo Desktop and Gemini hardware

and/or the lesser hardware/OS demands were such that this is part of what allowed him to offer it on a wide variety of mobile devices. Either way, though, it makes sense.

Apple takes 30%

Probably 15% now, unless he sells over a million bucks' worth... https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/18/21572302/apple-app-store-small-business-program-commission-cut-15-percent-reduction

Not sure if PayPal takes a cut - I assume so for a business account.

they're just payment processing, so it's relatively cheap, maybe around 5% allowing even for international currency conversion fees.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

[video:youtube]

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

As he A/Bs in this video, it does not sound like he has matched up the draw bar settings, click, drive and Leslie settings. Now that may be because VB3m does not have all the same parameters available and the 1.4 and II engine may be significantly different.

VB3 does sound impressive, but I think it misses the point somewhat - due to the lack of controls (and MIDI Learning onto a plasticky China-made controller is not the same thing).

Aynsley Green Trio - Caravan

Upper: Sequential OB6 or Roland Fantom 06

Lower: Nord Stage 4 Compact or Yamaha YC88

Sometimes: Hammond SK2, Roland System 8, Roland SH2, Roland SE-02, Roland JX-08, Korg Prologue 16