Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FYI - RIP Jim Steinman

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, quite a loss â¹ï¸. I"ve been a fan of Jim Steinman for a long time. Have found the dark, theatrical twist to his writing and production intriguing; and his music has often inspired me.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Just viewed this. Funny story from Jim Steinman about Todd Rundgren and the motorcycle sound on Bat Out of Hell:

[video:youtube]

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I once saw a Jim Steinman CD at a record store. Most of those tracks ended up on Bat Out of Hell II. I don't know if that was his true intention for those songs or if the Bat II project came around they realized the tunes worked.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I read an anecdote that Meatloaf claimed he never saw a single dollar of income from the first record. I'm presuming it's because others collected the royalties?

I"d not heard that before Tim but if that"s the case it will comfort you to know Mr Loaf 'stole' about $600k from the Australian Football League in 2011:

[video:youtube]

I read an anecdote that Meatloaf claimed he never saw a single dollar of income from the first record. I'm presuming it's because others collected the royalties?

That would make sense since Todd Rundgren provided the financing to produce the record, no label would pick it up until Cleveland, and it nearly took an act of God to get enough grassroots airplay for critical mass.

Bottom line is that the industry wasn't ready for such a rock opera recording and it took public acceptance to override the execs. Clive Davis said Steinman didn't know how to write a song, Haha.

It would be interesting to know where all of the money went eventually.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3