Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Outdoor CONDENSATION - What to do?

I played an outdoors gig last night with my band (in a neighborhood, all the neighbors pitched in to tip, we played outdoors on the driveway of one of the homes, neighbors all gathered socially distanced, along with carts and cars slowly driving by - great event, and about as safe as can be in these coronavirus times).

My PROBLEM: Once the sun set, and it started getting colder (Southern California about a mile from the beach = went down into the 50's), all night, quite a large amount of condensation continually developed on my keyboard (Yamaha MOXF8, mostly plastic exterior). And I mean, a LOT of condensation = literally dripping off the instrument, and covering the keys. Didn't matter how much or how often I wiped it, condensation out of the air onto the keyboard continued all evening.

Luckily, it did NOT negatively affect any operation of the keyboard. But I can't help think that this cannot be good for the keyboard, and also made it difficult to play on wet keys, as you can imagine.

I cannot be the only one who has had this problem when playing outdoors at night! Have any of you come up with a reasonable solution or some kind of mitigation of the problem? Do I need to put some kind of heater inside (or outside) the keyboard? Any practical ideas?

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

Growing up and gigging on the Canadian prairies in the winter, when the temps regularly dipped past -30°C, we used to make sure the gear arrived at the venue with well enough time for condensation to dry. But having the condensation happen while you were playing must be a nightmare. Sticky key tops are literally painful and the idea that something could short at any time would be more than I'd want to do! I guess if you can find a small ceramic heater that you can place on the floor under your keyboard stand might help â heat rises. Or get a small hair dryer, blow off the moisture every couple of tunes.
  • Like 1

Here for the gear.

I've had heavy outdoor condensation on my keys several times over the years, especially when playing oceanside. There has been no apparent harm. That being said, a quick wipe-down between tunes really minimizes the problem.

Just be careful of moving knobs and buttons :(

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

A fan blowing across the instrument may help mitigate the problem. Condensation is a byproduct of humidity and the dew point. Air movement lessens that effect.
  • Like 1
Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

A fan blowing across the instrument may help mitigate the problem. Condensation is a byproduct of humidity and the dew point. Air movement lessens that effect.

I was just about to say that...

But then, for the price of a MODX -- I think I'd have a fan blowing across the top -- WITH the quartz heater blowing (aimed up at an angle) underneath, just to be doubly sure.

Old No7

• Like 1

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I used to do summer gigs out on a pier out on a bay - many evenings I experienced the same.

So I started bringing a fabric-backed plastic tablecloth to cover my rig between sets, and a few terrycloth hand towels to keep wiping it down between songs.

When I got home I would put the board in front of a fan in an air conditioned room for a day or two.

Never had a problem.

• Like 1

Oddly I don't think I've had this issue here in FLA, and I've played outdoors in various temps (from surprisingly cold to blistering heat). Unlike CA, we are very humid so ironically maybe that's why. Need a science geek I guess!

My biggest issue outdoors is sweating on the keys for most of our outdoor gigs, and also surprise thunderstorms. I wear tennis wristbands 80s style and have a towel handy and keep wiping my hands and my keyboards. I always bring a small Lesko drying fan to all gigs and that helps (though it is not heated).

• Like 1

I don't know the science of it, but on an outdoor gig I showed the BL how much condensation was gathering on my keyboard, and he immediately sent someone from the venue to get a heat lamp and park it at my rig. Not a drop from then on. He said he'd used that trick many times.
  • Like 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

My PROBLEM: Once the sun set, and it started getting colder (Southern California about a mile from the beach = went down into the 50's), all night, quite a large amount of condensation continually developed on my keyboard (Yamaha MOXF8, mostly plastic exterior). And I mean, a LOT of condensation = literally dripping off the instrument, and covering the keys.

Have done many corporate gigs at the Del or on some other beach and this always sucks. MOI's heat lamp suggestion is great if possible. I wonder if you could get one of those infrared dishes and bring it. Covering the rig on setbreaks with a towel is useful too.

• Like 1

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Condensation is a byproduct of humidity and the dew point. Air movement lessens that effect.

100% correct.

Blowing moisture laden air across a keyboard is not a solution.

Blowing de-humidified air across the keyboard is a different matter.

• Like 1

Col

Thanks for all the info, will use it when i get in a similar situation.

I had another issue when playing in a big tent with many people in the winter.

Due to the cold outside, the condensed water was dripping down in big drops....

I used a towel over the keyboard, except for the keys. Very scary and waiting for a failure.

in the end I did not have any issue, expect for cold drops on my head....

• Like 1

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

There was one event about 15 years ago where we played a gig down the beach at a camp ground. About 1 hour before the gig ended I saw condensation starting to collect on my keyboards (alot). As we got into the last set I decided to shut down my most important keyboard and go with one, crossing my fingers that the other one I was using would not short out. I dodged a bullet. I can still remember the water running off the keyboard; it never happened to that extent ever before or since.
  • Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

A few years ago, I had a gig on the hottest day of the summer that year. I pulled a DX7IID from its anvil case. That KB was sweating like a human being. :laugh:

I wiped the DX down and waited an hour or so before I fired it up. It worked like a charm. :D

A towel is another accessory to keep in the gig bag just in case weather elements cause issue(s). :cool:

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

And make sure after you get the gear home and inside you take it out of your cases and let it dry.
  • Like 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI