Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Controller For Logic?

Hi, folks -

I know this is a loaded question, but:

My 20-year old son is in the market for a controller, and is planning to use Logic as his main platform, for the time being.

So, a controller with a Logic template is important.

He's a very accomplished pianist as well as being a keyboardist, so something with a decent action is necessary, as opposed to the really tiny keys and/or barely functional actions on some of the lower-end controllers out there.

Definitely want a pro-level (though not necessarily the most expensive) instrument. 49 or 61 keys, I'd guess. Price concerns won't rule anything out, though.

Included sounds/software, and other extra goodies are welcome, but not as essential as the above requirements.

I've found many articles/videos online of the "8 best controllers for Logic" variety, but not necessarily from trusted sources. If anyone has any links to quality videos and articles on this topic, I'd appreciate you posting them.

As you know, there are a great many quality choices out there from respected companies.

So - recommendations?

Thanks very much, Happy Everything, and stay safe and healthy out there!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EJF -

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I've seen that Nektar controller, among many others. Looks nice, of course. Price is OK, though I've seen solid stuff costing less (and more, of course)!

One concern is that the Nektar seems to take up a lot of real estate. I should have mentioned that a profile that is as compact as possible wouldn't hurt!

Nice choice, though.

Keeps the recs coming, guys!

Arturia Keylab MkII has mapped templates for most major DAWs, including Logic.

Just an aside - probably not a factor for a young player depending on what they"re into. But Arturia irks me with their layout. I"d rather have the faders on the left and the pads on the right since I"m right handed and I"d want the faders to occasionally double as draw bars, or adjust them with my left while my right hand keeps playing. :idk:

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Hi,

If real estate is an issue, the Arturia Keylab MkII, 49 key, as previously mentioned, certainly fits the bill.

I own a couple of bits of Arturia kit, and have always liked the build quality and although I don't own a Keylab MkII, a friend does, which I quite liked when I had a (very brief) play of it.

They certainly have good support with software/updates etc, in my opinion, for what that's worth.

As has been mentioned the pads are on the left, but, it may depend on the intended use and maybe what your son's "handedness" is, as to whether that's a good or bad thing I guess!

It may also depend on whether the controller will be mainly studio/production, or live use.

As I am not really a pianist, but "synth-centric" I can't really comment on the action, as far as use by an accomplished pianist is concerned, but there are plenty here who are, and surely will.

Just my 3.8 GB pence worth, for what it's worth.

Cheers.

Arturia Keylab MkII has mapped templates for most major DAWs, including Logic.

Just an aside - probably not a factor for a young player depending on what they"re into. But Arturia irks me with their layout. I"d rather have the faders on the left and the pads on the right since I"m right handed and I"d want the faders to occasionally double as draw bars, or adjust them with my left while my right hand keeps playing. :idk:

That bugs me too. Also the 49 wheel layout which makes it essentially the same footprint as the 61. But you can not beat the quality.

Here for the gear.

I have a T6. Hard to beat for the bucks. Matches up nicely with my B3X. You can reverse the faders so you can pull down a fader to increase a drawbar setting. Without getting into their 'Nektarine' software, you can use transport controls, volume/mute/solo/pan for 8 tracks at a time (individual track control, but 8 tracks at a time in your mixer). Also, you can select tracks from the board - go beyond track 8 and you jump to tracks 9 - 16 in the mixer. Pretty much standard stuff, but works well out of the box.

This will do nothing to improve your piano chops - light touch and 61 keys. Very easy to activate the aftertouch - I end up turning it off most of the time, so I don"t record a ton of unwanted data. USB and DIN MIDI !!

The Nektarine software is fairly deep - I haven"t been able to get my pea brain to fully engage with it. But you should able to program your controls to match up with instrument, insert, and smart control parameters.

9 programmable presets, but you can"t name them.

Oh - the pads are pretty much useless (for me) - really gotta whack them to get close to 127 velocity. You can set them to a set velocity, but then they double trigger or trigger a neighbor too easily.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

Most any USB MIDI controller will run LOGIC fine, no? I never had a problem, besides learning the "Logic learning", and I still don't use it enough to learn the.....I forget what you call it, a very complex MIDI router, which is in there.

Nektar has a bunch of slimmer ones than the Ts, and there are many many more. OP might just decide the desired form factor, keys and dimensions, then pick from there.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Most any USB MIDI controller will run LOGIC fine, no? I never had a problem, besides learning the "Logic learning", and I still don't use it enough to learn the.....I forget what you call it, a very complex MIDI router, which is in there.

Nektar has a bunch of slimmer ones than the Ts, and there are many many more. OP might just decide the desired form factor, keys and dimensions, then pick from there.

With MIDI learn in Logic any controller can be programmed to do what you want in logic - as long as it sends a midi note or CC message Logic recognizes. There are some situations where Sysex messages may not be assignable. However there are controllers that come from the manufacturer where they"ve already done the work of mapping messages to function. Some elaborately have Logic or Cubase modes. Some use standard formats like HUI or Mackie Control/Logic Control settings. My S90ES"s remote mode actually works very nicely with Logic, Cubase, Digital Performer.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Forgot to mention - my son has a MODX8, and access to my large collection of keyboards as well. I know that he could get by - and then some - using the MODX, of course. (And, I don't own one of the current crop of controllers I posted about.)

But, I'm thinking that for more space-conscious situations - dorm room, traveling/portability, etc., it would be nice to have one of the many excellent smaller options out there.

Thanks - much appreciated - happy to consider more ideas/recommendations!