Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musician memorabilia can make you money in 2035

Post is related to the surprise and amazement of the auction price of instruments used by Prince, etc etc

Lets look at bigger picture:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-musicians-whose-memorabilia-can-make-you-money-in-2035-2015-11-19

Music memorabilia can be a rockin" investment, if you know which bands to play.

Acts from the '80s and '90s are beginning to emerge as worthy investments, according to the website JustCollecting, a social media site for collectors. However, bands that have already proven the test of time, like The Beatles and the Rolling Stones, are still safe bets for more risk-averse collectors.

Next month may be the best time to start investing in the older acts, when The Beatles drummer Ringo Starr and wife Barbara Bach put more than 1,000 items from their estate up for auction. The auction will go live on Julien"s Auctions" website on Dec. 3, and will include memorabilia such as Starr"s iconic Ludwig drum kit featured in the band"s performances in 1963 and 1964.

JustCollecting surveyed three auction houses, Omega Auctions, Julien"s Auctions and Heritage Auctions, to determine the best artists" memorabilia to invest in today based on the expected value in 2035. The experts were asked to rank bands on a scale of one to 10, with 10 being the most valued.

Popular artists on the list span decades, from Elvis Presley to Nirvana, providing investment opportunities for music fans of all tastes and risk preferences.

Signed items are an easy way for new collectors to enter the space, says Garry Shrum, consignment director for entertainment and music memorabilia at Heritage Auctions. Autographs on artifacts that represent the personality and history of the artist, like a Jimi Hendrix guitar, are the most valuable

and so on..

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I am not aware of a world wide famous musician , that is alive on this forum.

So if you are, don't be shy. I will buy that 25 yr old midi cable for $10

If you are sure you will be famous soon , and you have old gear sitting in storage, feel free

to make a case ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Even when to sell can be a diminishing target. Some bands/artists might seem like they will be remembered forever, but 15, 20 years later their memorabilia value in down to a few bucks. Then selling this stuff you really have to wait for the right buyer who will pay that kind of big bucks. There's a fair amount of risk buying and hanging on to memorabilia.

Just save a bunch of angst and buy a Nord Lead - every artist since Bach has used one. In 2035 they'll easily be worth 10 million a piece :thu:

Good ! In 15 years I will have no money left, so I am counting on the infamous Nord Lead signed by mr Bach ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Even when to sell can be a diminishing target. Some bands/artists might seem like they will be remembered forever, but 15, 20 years later their memorabilia value in down to a few bucks. Then selling this stuff you really have to wait for the right buyer who will pay that kind of big bucks. There's a fair amount of risk buying and hanging on to memorabilia.

I don't believe someone spending 75,000 on a prince keyboard is just scraping by. They are likely already wealthy individuals.

Then there are auction houses who specialize in the hard to find collectible.

a much different atmosphere vs the regular guy playing a keyboard or guitar.

[70's Songwriter]

I wonder if any artists today will achieve the same level of musical fame as their counterparts from forty or more years ago.

Pre 1990"s, there were by today"s standards only few outlets by which one could experience new music. There were a handful of local radio stations whose programmers would choose the few dozen songs that you would be hearing at any given time, and there were music stores where you could potentially buy albums from more obscure artists but still within the limits of the store"s inventory capacity. As a result, a generation of people grew up living a largely shared musical experience, and the musical cream rose to the top.

With so many different ways to listen to music nowadays and so many different popular genres, I don"t think that we have that shared musical experience any longer. I think that would make it very tough for any of today"s artists to ever achieve the same level of fame as those in the 60s, 70s, or 80s.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

I wonder if any artists today will achieve the same level of musical fame as their counterparts from forty or more years ago.

Pre 1990"s, there were by today"s standards only few outlets by which one could experience new music. There were a handful of local radio stations whose programmers would choose the few dozen songs that you would be hearing at any given time, and there were music stores where you could potentially buy albums from more obscure artists but still within the limits of the store"s inventory capacity. As a result, a generation of people grew up living a largely shared musical experience, and the musical cream rose to the top.

With so many different ways to listen to music nowadays and so many different popular genres, I don"t think that we have that shared musical experience any longer. I think that would make it very tough for any of today"s artists to ever achieve the same level of fame as those in the 60s, 70s, or 80s.

Thats a strong observation, I agree.

I think its been discussed somewhere,,, ' would the Beatles be as popular today ? " Or Prince ?

The new music landscape has changed drastically from the 60's, 80's, 90's

We are saturated with music everywhere. Song writers, performers are competing with the short attention span

of listeners. There is tonnage of talent, too , if we watch the various TV shows where 19 year old singers compete.

And current technology and Digital music has fueled the explosion of choices. Almost everyone with a PC and software can try out

their 1st new song with dreams of multi million hits.

[70's Songwriter]

I don't understand the appeal of carrying around or having a B-3, chop or console that Joey D or Greg Allan had?? Who cares? It's not going to make anyone a better musician. I know guys that put that stuff in the liner notes of their CD's and it's stupid. My buddy bought a lot of stuff out of a recording studio that was famous in NYC. It sits around , needs a ton of work, and hasn't been a really good investment. If you are a serious collector or in that business I understand that but this idea It holds some kind of magical aura or something is crazy.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I don't understand the appeal of carrying around or having a B-3, chop or console that Joey D or Greg Allan had?? Who cares? It's not going to make anyone a better musician. I know guys that put that stuff in the liner notes of their CD's and it's stupid. My buddy bought a lot of stuff out of a recording studio that was famous in NYC. It sits around , needs a ton of work, and hasn't been a really good investment. If you are a serious collector or in that business I understand that but this idea It holds some kind of magical aura or something is crazy.

thats a good point. I use to bump into ' collectors' or folks having a mythical idea what the instrument or item is worth.

Simply conveying emotion[personal belief] onto an instrument/item does not usually line up in a practical way.

[70's Songwriter]

• 3 years later...

Imagine investing in Taylor Swift's back catalog, and she hates you so much that she re-records it all. What if I buy Matt Johnson's Montage, and then like a week later, he says, "The only reason I sold it was because I'd used up all its mojo." Now my resale value is screwed! I'd be beating myself up for not buying Moroon 5 stuff instead. It's too difficult to predict.