Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

TOP - Knock Yourself Out

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, Saw them twice in Fresno, been quite a while!!!

They KILLED it both times, AND the footage above ^^^^.

NYC has plenty to be proud of but TOP just showed them how it's done, right there!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I've never seen them live always meant to but never made it. When I worked at the music school David Garibaldi was the drum instructor for the Pro program so got to hear and talk to David all the time, what a great guy. Then the Elton John album I worked on in my recording days TOP horns came in to lay down the horns and lay down some organ later on in the night. It was a great day watching them from Greg coming in early and still writing charts, to later when Peter Asher and Linda Ronstadt came to hang out. Linda tried to get cute with Doc and got more of a response than she wanted. So never saw them from front of the stage but from behind the scene was very cool.

They played on the Main Stage at NAMM after the show this year.

yes they did. :2thu:

They were amazing...but then again, they always are.

there were so many people there for the show i was probably a 1/4 mile from the stage, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but for someone who is usually right in front of the stage for any concert I go to it felt very far away.

:nopity:

Tucktronix (Jon) opened for them in 2010 I think and got to spend a lot of time with Roger. I feel bad as these guys never got to be A list performers and sometimes have done gigs in smaller festivals and venues. They deserve more for their talent.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Then the Elton John album I worked on in my recording days TOP horns came in to lay down the horns and lay down some organ later on in the night. It was a great day watching them from Greg coming in early and still writing charts, to later when Peter Asher and Linda Ronstadt came to hang out. Linda tried to get cute with Doc and got more of a response than she wanted. So never saw them from front of the stage but from behind the scene was very cool.
Um, not to drag the thread off topic, but does this mean you worked on Caribou? Or did they also come in on a later record? Inquiring minds...

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Burning organ solo. That's one I could listen to over and over. Roger Smith isn't familiar to me but he should be.

+1 to that! Thanks to the OP for sharing the vid!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Then the Elton John album I worked on in my recording days TOP horns came in to lay down the horns and lay down some organ later on in the night. It was a great day watching them from Greg coming in early and still writing charts, to later when Peter Asher and Linda Ronstadt came to hang out. Linda tried to get cute with Doc and got more of a response than she wanted. So never saw them from front of the stage but from behind the scene was very cool.
Um, not to drag the thread off topic, but does this mean you worked on Caribou? Or did they also come in on a later record? Inquiring minds...

Yes, I was working at Sound City and it was the Caribou album they did the horns for. TOP was not in anymore while I was at Sound City. They came out to Sound City because Record Plant had overbooked Elton and I think it was the Beach Boys. I got to choose all the mic's that session. Sound City was only place in town with the 24-track needed and open time. Sound City wasn't that busy back then the now famous Neve had just been installed.

Side note... Gus Dungeon said "The Bitch is Back" is going to be the hit of the album so it has to be perfect. So we spent about eight hours putting the horns on that one tune. Then after dinner break the horns for the rest of the album were done and some organ overdubs. And no, Elton wasn't there, Gus said he only shows up for initial rhythm tracks and lays down a work vocal. Then Elton comes back at the end to do the keeper vocal.

TOP is still on the road 200+ days a year, I believe. One of the ways for a big band to stay tight is to never stop playing.

It's also a pretty large outfit, and they continue to play a wide variety of gigs including county fairs and the like; I have often wondered how light the money ends up for a band that size even with a full tour calendar. And I'm guessing the road wears on you after all the decades, still spending 2/3 of the year away from family. True road warriors.

Yes, I was working at Sound City and it was the Caribou album they did the horns for. . . . And no, Elton wasn't there, Gus said he only shows up for initial rhythm tracks and lays down a work vocal. Then Elton comes back at the end to do the keeper vocal.
Ah, of course, and that would have been the album where he famously threw a fit over the vocal for Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me. Not my favorite of his 70s albums, but still a classic, and the tracks with the ToP horns and Chester on organ are a really cool variation on the textures he'd typically had on his albums up to that point, both the more orchestrated Paul Buckmaster ones and after he started using his road band in the studio exclusively.

Thanks for sharing that story! For an artist at his level, there's actually not a ton of session documentation on his early albums.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Hung out with Roger, Mark and Emilio after the Durham show last year. Really nice guys! Found out Roger owns a winery. Bump City Wine Company!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com