Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I spoke to people at his studio a few months ago, they said that he just suddenly hit the "old wall" (they denied he had cancer, but I think it will probably come out to be a factor).

He had changed dramatically from the time I had last met with him a few months before.

He sure broke down walls, and gave a lot to this world.

Just heard... :cry:

What an amazing talent.

Some of my favorite Ray Charles memories... (no particular order.)

The Blues Brothers - He was hilarious as the pawn shop owner. "Whatta ya mean there's no action left in these keys?!?" Great rendition of Twistin'.

His part in We Are The World

Baby Grand written by and played with Billy Joel. :thu:

Georgia - Need I say more? :)

You'll be missed, Ray. :(

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

STEVE! Dang you...

Ray Charles was on my list of "Must see live in concert" performers. :( I never fulfilled that.

I can't think of a Ray Charles song that doesn't move me in some special way. That soulful, gritty voice. Equally at home with the blues, big band, and (yup) country. A true performer's performer.

I liked the way someone once said, "Our national anthem should be changed to 'America The Beautiful', and only Ray Charles should be allowed to sing it".

Rest easy, Mr. Charles.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by SteveRB:

Music legend Ray Charles , just passed away.

I didn't think that was possible,I assumed he was superhuman and would be here for eternity. :cry::cry::cry:
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Wow! Even though he was an old gentleman, this news hit me like a ton of bricks. Ray has just always been THERE. I assumed that he always would.

Maybe I'll rent the Blues Bros. movie tonight.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

What a bummer. :(

I had the good fortune of working with Ray twice: first time was at Villa Montalvo in California, where he performed with a Big Band orchestra. We were told that Ray would quit playing if he heard the PA (!) and we had to do it old-school, with only a couple section mics on the horns & his vocal through the mains...but we did get some more mics up to feed the delay speakers, and it was surprisingly great!

Second time was at a charity function here in Atlanta (Buckhead, actually). Ray & his combo playing in a tent. That was where I learned of his preference for the Sennheiser MD504 as a vocal mic!

R.I.P, Brother Ray.

Oh my dear Gawd, another hero gone. :cry:

This afternoon I was mixing the song 'Georgia' and I couldn't avoid thinking of Ray (wish I had a voice like his)

Rest in peace Ray and thank you for the great music.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Archived