Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Password hell advice

So, reading on the Lastpass deal...since the stolen passwords are encrypted, presumably it takes a fair amount of time to crack them (?)   So Lastpass seemingly did a really bad job of letting people know.  Just switching your passwords would mean you should be ok provided you did it in time.   Obviously not a fun thing to do.

This is another reason I regret having so many accounts, especially for plugin sales and manufacturers.  On one hand, not much info is stored with them (certainly no financial data).   Mostly they have name and phone, and honestly there's no real reason those have to be actual names and phones.  On the other, it would just be a lot easier to manage with less company accounts and different plugins.  Case in point, my change from High Sierra to Monterey Mac OS caused me to have to update a slew of plugins using various accounts and plugin managers, and it was a PITA.   

Any site account you have where someone can do damage if they get in there...those are ones I may take out of my password manager, and just pick a long pw I can remember.   I only have a couple like that.

Seems like everything is flawed in some way or another.  Some of you might have ironclad elephantine memories, but mine is horrendous.   I have no wish to go back to endless cycles of "forgot password", and don't want to try to use the same password for every site.

I guess a paper list mostly works, if the house burns down or it gets destroyed or lost then I guess it's back to "forgot password" :)   If you ever need your passwords away from home then you have a problem though.  Not normally one I'd have I guess.

I keep passwords on a spreadsheet on a couple of different computers. It's primarily for all the software companies I've purchased from over the years. I don't keep sensitive info (like bank account access, etc) on that list. Works for me.

Shannon Morse has been around online Tech shows for a long time going back to Hak5 that I discovered about 15 years ago or more.   She has a handful of Youtubes on password manager from over the years on her channel.   Below is most recent from 2022 and I threw in another some might finds of tips they like.   

Happy 2023 all.   

• Like 1

I have a little black book for passwords...I try not to store any on the PC. And remember for the most part hackers don't want your personal info...they want all of your banks info and yours is there whether you like it or not ;)

Side note... a number of years ago one of the supervisors forgot their Windows password and couldn't login...I went home and got a Linux boot CD, booted the system from the Linux CD and it had a program to access the password file and change it...then reboot into Windows with the new pass...Voila! :)

Bill

• Like 1

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

6 minutes ago, Bill Heins said:

I have a little black book for passwords...I try not to store any on the PC. And remember for the most part hackers don't want your personal info...they want all of your banks info and yours is there whether you like it or not ;)

Side note... a number of years ago one of the supervisors forgot their Windows password and couldn't login...I went home and got a Linux boot CD, booted the system from the Linux CD and it had a program to access the password file and change it...then reboot into Windows with the new pass...Voila! :)

Bill

As they say if someone has physical access to your computer there's no way to protect yourself.   

Also these days the most insecure device is smartphones and people tend to put all their personal info on their smartphone for convenience.   So think about that when you go leaving your smartphone on tables everywhere. 

On 1/1/2023 at 12:40 PM, Docbop said:

Shannon Morse has been around online Tech shows for a long time going back to Hak5 that I discovered about 15 years ago or more.   She has a handful of Youtubes on password manager from over the years on her channel.   Below is most recent from 2022 and I threw in another some might finds of tips they like.   

Happy 2023 all.  

Thanks, I'm bailing on LastPass.  I've decided against NordPass.  I'm checking out RoboForm next, one reason is the choice for local storage.

• 2 weeks later...

And another one bites the dust...Norton LifeLock goes down in flames:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/nortonlifelock-warns-that-hackers-breached-password-manager-accounts/

I told you so.

I think I missed posting one last week. Saw it. Meant to stick it in here. Forgot.

Do.

Not.

Trust.

Password.

Managers.

Period.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Forget tech, computers, Apps, Documents.

I use the tech from the 80’s an old Filofax with an A2Z index.

User names and passwords stored there.

I use a combi of random letters, numbers, capitals plus where allowed special characters

So no RubyTuesday or AmiRose as my passwords

Col

10 hours ago, GRollins said:

And another one bites the dust...Norton LifeLock goes down in flames:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/nortonlifelock-warns-that-hackers-breached-password-manager-accounts/

I told you so.

I think I missed posting one last week. Saw it. Meant to stick it in here. Forgot.

Do.

Not.

Trust.

Password.

Managers.

Period.

Grey

Compared to password reuse, or using weak passwords, a password manager is better. Even if it's a long plaintext file in a dropbox.

Firstly. You know exactly which services you need to perform a password reset when they get stolen. In my case, all 357 of them.

Secondly, strong unique passwords prevents automated password stuffing, automated brute-force and hashing attacks, which is most of the attacks as I understand it.

Don't trust them, sure. Plan for them to be breached. But do use them. It's just better practice than the alternatives.