Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buzzing when using iLoud Micro Monitors as keyboard amp

Hey I'm just wondering if anyone has experience using the iLoud Micro Monitors to play sounds from their keyboards. I recently got a pair of these and they sound great, however, when playing a B3 or Bb3 or the same notes an octave above (B4, Bb4) at higher velocities/volumes the left speaker makes a very noticeable high pitched buzzing noise as if a piece of hardware within the speaker is resonating with the note. The is especially prominent when playing rhodes tones from my keyboard and from Keyscape. I also hear this buzzing occasionally when watching videos where the voices are in the same ranges.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Have exactly the same issue and using the same key with my iLouds and my Modx - although its actually the right speaker that plays up. I found the placement of the speaker made a difference, mine are in quite tight spots but if moved them around and provided more space around them the issue seems to abate somewhat. Have even noticed that by holding the speaker aloft, as if on a stand, it also stopped buzzing entirely. It might also be worth just checking the thick connecting cable between the the speakers, ensure its connected well. Failing that if you can pan the output even just a fraction (in your case towards the right away from the faulty speaker) this also helps alleviate it.

None of the above are ideal solutions - the speakers are great in general but am a bit disappointed this kind of issue is apparent at what isnt a particularly high volume

Have exactly the same issue and using the same key with my iLouds and my Modx - although its actually the right speaker that plays up. I found the placement of the speaker made a difference, mine are in quite tight spots but if moved them around and provided more space around them the issue seems to abate somewhat. Have even noticed that by holding the speaker aloft, as if on a stand, it also stopped buzzing entirely. It might also be worth just checking the thick connecting cable between the the speakers, ensure its connected well. Failing that if you can pan the output even just a fraction (in your case towards the right away from the faulty speaker) this also helps alleviate it.

None of the above are ideal solutions - the speakers are great in general but am a bit disappointed this kind of issue is apparent at what isnt a particularly high volume

The right speaker having this issue with you, and no issue on the right of mine leads me to believe that this is a manufacturing defect. I may try to return these speakers for a new pair then, and hopefully this issue won't recur. Another option for me could be to just get a single iLoud MTM placed horizontally in the center of my setup instead of the two micro monitors, but I'm thinking that the complete set of micro monitors may be preferable in this situation.

This may be a stretch but I had a buzzing in one of my Equator monitors a while back. Only happened on certain notes. Turned out to be a sticker or some kind of label that came loose on one of the drivers. Might be easy enough to pull out the woofer on your offending monitor and see if there's anything similar going on.

I've seen situations where speakers make odd noises because wires inside them were touching against the back of the cone, but only at extreme excursions.

Probably not worth the time to do that with the iLouds, though...unless you love them.

FWIW, if you can you should get something bigger. Studio monitors are typically not intended for the full range reproduction or dynamic range of a keyboard instrument.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Do you mind playing this tone at a high volume to see if your left speaker also buzzes? Mine buzzes pretty horribly when I play this note/timbre combination. If yours doesn't, then I know for sure that it is a defect with mine.

Have given it a go for you - not getting any buzz from either speaker really with this sample, so not sure how much that helps. Its def the right speaker that plays up for me but there are things I can do to alleviate it - so might suggest your issue is much more likely to be a defective unit? Anything else you want me to try just shout

Have given it a go for you - not getting any buzz from either speaker really with this sample, so not sure how much that helps. Its def the right speaker that plays up for me but there are things I can do to alleviate it - so might suggest your issue is much more likely to be a defective unit? Anything else you want me to try just shout

It doesn't buzz at lower volumes for me - only at high volumes (but the buzz starts at a level that's not so high that it's unreasonable). I'm guessing you did test the sample at a high volume, so in that case it definitely would be a defect with them. Just wanted to make sure that 1) I can confirm with store handling the return that this really is a defect since it doesn't happen with another pair and 2) this really is a defect and if I bought a new working pair this issue wouldn't show up again.

I think this test was good enough, but if I can find another sample that is more egregious I'll let you know. Thanks so much for your help btw

• 9 months later...
Hey I'm just wondering if anyone has experience using the iLoud Micro Monitors to play sounds from their keyboards. I recently got a pair of these and they sound great, however, when playing a B3 or Bb3 or the same notes an octave above (B4, Bb4) at higher velocities/volumes the left speaker makes a very noticeable high pitched buzzing noise as if a piece of hardware within the speaker is resonating with the note. The is especially prominent when playing rhodes tones from my keyboard and from Keyscape. I also hear this buzzing occasionally when watching videos where the voices are in the same ranges.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Have exactly the same issue and using the same key with my iLouds and my Modx - although its actually the right speaker that plays up.

I just got a pair and had the exact same issue, same notes, on just the left speaker (the speaker that has the electronics). I had a choice to send them back for refund or replacement... I'm taking a gamble on replacement since it seems that it is not a universal problem. But it does sound like something borderline in the design, if everyone who experiences it experiences it at the same frequency.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

For full range instruments like keyboards and tiny speakers - mount them at ear level and no more than 18" away from your head - so about 18" apart to make an equilateral triangle.

Speakers do not "heal" and it's not realistic to expect much out of tiny speakers regardless of marketing hype.

It's probably defective, I would return it if possible or accept a replacement if not. 

You don't mention positioning, but you only have ears in one place and those are not meant to fill a room. You'll never get any low frequencies out of them, they can't move that much air.

Their next model up with the dual "weefers" looks much better. A pair of small bass amps might be much better still.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 1 year later...

I found that I had exact same problem as yours since I began to play piano sounds in daw, same key, same buzzing. 

didn't noticed that before. so it's impossible for me to get help from official support.

for this reason, I decided to solve this problem with my own hands.

AND I FOUND IT EXTREMELY EASY TO DEAL WITH!

1. remove the speaker shield carefully (pretty easy)

2. remove 4 screws around the speaker

3. open it, you will find it has very simple structure inside (which means the problem won't be so complicated )

4. see the black pad underneath the speaker?does it looks very thin? yes! that may let the resonation effect the plastic box and make it buzz!

you should find something like the origin pad but thicker, put it there, and put the screws back

5. or you can check the wares inside the box before you put everything back, though they had been nicely covered by material, but you can still check them, just in case

all moves above takes 10mins, and your problem should be gone, no damages have to be done

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I mentioned above I opted for a replacement set... and that set was fine out of the box.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 4 months later...

I can confirm C4 and B4 and maybe Bb4 are the resonant notes for these. Anyhow the problem is solved easily by detaching the front covers and putting them back. It is likely that slightly detatching them from the body is enought to stop the buzz. You need good nails, patience and force in your fingers. The buzz is coming from the covers vibrating in contact with the body.