Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Rolling Stones Hit Number 1 on iTunes (First Time Ever)

I suppose many of you have heard the news, but if not, the Rolling Stones have worked their magic yet again with an excellent new song that is actually number one now on iTunes!

Classic Stones beat, they sound great (hard to believe they are now so old that they've been together for almost 60 years!).

Anyway, thought you guys might enjoy this (there's some organ in it, so I think it qualifies for keyboard corner. :)

The Rolling Stones Hit Number 1 on iTunes (First Time Ever) with Spectacular Quarantine Anthem 'Living in a Ghost Town':

https://www.showbiz411.com/2020/04/24/the-rolling-stones-hit-number-1-on-itunes-first-time-ever-with-living-in-a-ghost-town

The song alone is enough to bring tears to your eyes (in a good way), but if that doesn't get ya, check out the video:

[video:youtube]

If that doesn't work, this might:

Enjoy!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Magic? It's listenable, but super-low energy and pretty formulaic and derivative, though it's nice to hear a bit of Caribbean lilt to it -- it's been a while since they've done that.

Don't get me wrong; I'm glad they're working up some new material finally, and I regret that I never got around to hearing their blues tribute album a few years back also.

Update: I had only heard the brief snippet yesterday on the news websites, but hearing the entire song, I am now aware of its primary issues regarding the energy problem.

It may not be their fault; the producers may have mixed with their eyes, as was so common when Pro Tools was brand new way back. There's no pocket; it's too rigid.

The bass is the main fault. I haven't looked up who played yet, and probably it's a great player, but it would benefit from a bit of back beat pocket and/or reggae lilt to it.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Well, you say potato, and I say ......your wrong.

(Just kidding).

By magic, I mean they pulled off a relevant new tune long after many of us (including myself) had written them off.

Reminds me of back in high school back when Some Girls came out - at that time, young whipersnappers like myself (back then) had written them off, and then they dropped that album, which at least to me is a near masterpiece of Stones-style music.

PS - I saw your comment about the bass - totally agree! I was thinking on the third listen that "wow, their bass player replacement guy is doing a pretty good job of imitating the classic Stones bass line". But, then I though - I shouldn't be thinking that it was a good imitation, it should be so good that I don't even think about it. It is too perfect, like a studio bass player would do it.

But still, this kinda caught me by surprise, didn't think they had anything relevant in them anymore.

Yeah, I see what you mean -- I wasn't aware they had stopped doing new music, as I've been too busy producing material to do much consuming, these past 20-25 years. I can't figure out who does the studio stuff though, from any on-line websites. I guess either Keith or Ron might have done the bass; I don't think Daryl Jones ever participates in studio sessions (kind of like the Genesis studio-vs-tour situation?).

The song has a nice harmonica solo and does get a bit more authentically Caribbean a bit later on, and the bass is not locked-to-the-beat either, after the initial two verses, so maybe it's just one of those things where they had to do overdubs one at a time and it just wasn't easy to capture that kind of raw energy that a band has when they're together. Sly & Robbie might have been some help in this situation.

I do look forward to hearing the rest of the album once released though. The Stones do surprise me now and then with some mighty nice pockets that sound old and new at the same time. And Mick's voice is in better shape for his age than Macca's at this point, sad to say.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Hey, that's a pretty cool Stones track! Mick and Keith's writing has always been more about vibe and mood for the Stones, compared to Lennon and McCartney, who I always felt were more songwriters' songwriters, if that makes sense. Both great writing teams, just that Mick and Keith generally wrote for the sound of the band, whereas the sound of the Beatles always followed the writing. I think this tune fits in that Stonesy mold.

All that said, contemporary production trends aren't always good for those things that make classic rock acts special. What's the point of all that tuning on Mick Jagger's voice? Whatever principles one might have about digital pitch correction, let's just accept it as a regular studio tool these days, and say the point is to remove distracting tuning issues. But Mick Jagger's style has never been pitch-perfect, and it doesn't matter; the tuning creates a distraction instead of removing it. I felt the same when they did it to Leon Russell on The Union ten years ago.

Anyway, also wondering who plays on the track besides the core four! Could still be Chuck Leavell on electric piano, but I do believe Keith and Ronnie have taken turns on bass parts on their studio stuff a lot, regardless of Darryl's presence live. It's not like Keith didn't do that when Bill Wyman was in the band anyway!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

If they weren't the rolling stones that song would be another lost drop in the ocean of media. It's not even start me up good let alone cant you hear me knockin good. But I dont hate it and if I am forced to listen to it several hundred times it might grow on me a little. Good job Rolling Stones.

FunMachine.

What I find interesting is that Mick and Keith say they wrote this track like a year ago, they've been sitting on it with some others they've been working on, and realized this one should come out now.

In a new interview with Zane Lowe of Apple Music, Jagger said he wrote the song with Keith Richards over a year ago. 'It wasn"t written for now, but it was just one of those odd things,' he said. 'It was written about being in a place which was full of life but is now bereft of life so to speakâ¦I was just jamming on the guitar and wrote it really quickly in like 10 minutes.'

He changed some of the lyrics to reflect the times. 'Keith Richards and I both had the idea that we should release it,' he said. 'But I said, 'Well I"ve got to rewrite it." Some of it is not going to work and some of it was a bit weird and a bit too dark. So I slightly rewrote it. I didn"t have to rewrite very much, to be honest. It"s very much how I originally did it.'

more here clonk

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If they weren't the rolling stones that song would be another lost drop in the ocean of media.
I mean, yeah.
It's not even start me up good let alone cant you hear me knockin good.
I'd give a kidney to write one thing in my life that people think is "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" Good! :cool:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Hmm, which is a greater band, The Stones or The Beatles?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Haha, that one just got settled twice in one week; first by Paul McCartney a few days ago and then again by Mick Jagger today. It was all over Rolling Stone magazine (no relation to the band, other than borrowing from the same Muddy Waters source).

Truly, Apples and Oranges.

History somehow included them both simultaneously in seperate, extraordinary circumstances and each had their path.

The Beatles could not have made Exile on Main Street and the Stones likewise for Revolver. Both are masterpieces in their own ways.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

True, but The Beatles did do a lot to help the Stones get off the ground, and the Stones have been forever grateful for that, even if by now they are the Old Men of Rock due to consistent touring over the decades compared to even each individual Beatle. The inside joke of the psychedelic albums is also accompanied by the two bands appearing as backing vocalists and maybe oddball instrumentalists on each other's coincident singles (which did not appear on the albums in the UK but partially did in the USA): "All You Need Is Love" and "We Love You".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Love_You

Neither, there was so much interaction and collaboration not just between them but between all UK bands and individual artists like Bowie.

The Beatles opened the door on the cr4p cheesey pop of USA artists that was flooding the UK at that time, then all the UK bands blasted through the opened door.

The Beatles and Stones are and will always be the two greatest Bands ever, eclipsing all others by a Country mile, except for Queen.

Col

As long as we don't forget that Clarence Walker was the Fifth Beatle... on saxophone.

https://www.nova.ie/video-when-eddie-murphy-was-the-fifth-beatle-173134/

The Beatles stopped playing live when I was born. My buddy wrote a forward to a book about them and is a historian. I just think the Stones not only outlasted them but had a better vibe, at least for me. I even like some of Paul McCartney's solo stuff more than the Beatles but I get their significance.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

The Beatles stopped playing live when I was born.

Aha!!! So that was why!!!! :poke::D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI