Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I’ve made a serious error: Omnisphere

EscapeRocks

I found it very glitchy sometimes on my laptop. I don't have any troubles with Diva, Kontakt, Kontrol, Arturia, or other U-he products. (some of them have the option to switch to "multi-core" computer settings...)

Is there a setting I am missing on Omnisphere? It was very discouraging to have some patches skipping and popping away.

Did somebody else had this kind of problem ?

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

• 1 year later...
I found it very glitchy sometimes on my laptop. I don't have any troubles with Diva, Kontakt, Kontrol, Arturia, or other U-he products. (some of them have the option to switch to "multi-core" computer settings...)

Is there a setting I am missing on Omnisphere? It was very discouraging to have some patches skipping and popping away.

There are a bunch of adjustments you can make, described at https://support.spectrasonics.net/manual/Omnisphere2/25/en/topic/performanc-optimzation-new-draft-images

I've chosen to use UVI's Falcon as my sampler because I can import samples into it (unlike Omnisphere). But for Rompler duties, Omnisphere is what I wished the Kronos could be. It is wonderful.

You can import samples into Omnisphere... but I guess you mean being able to bring in fully mapped sets of samples, as opposed to just one sample at a time, I think that's the difference there...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread but again being tempted by Omnisphere - I'm thinking of having it sitting on an external drive etc , love anyone's thoughts on that. Obviously understand it will live or die on speed of the HD connection and drive itself, just interested if people have done it as part of their work flow :)

I'm running it on external drives on my Mac's, Thunderbolt 4, SSD's. No issues.

I'm not using it as much as I thought I would. I think it is because synths have caught up to it. G-Force, U-He, Syrum, Vital, Pigments and more. They get more of my attention.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

51 minutes ago, RABid said:

I'm running it on external drives on my Mac's, Thunderbolt 4, SSD's. No issues.

I'm not using it as much as I thought I would. I think it is because synths have caught up to it. G-Force, U-He, Syrum, Vital, Pigments and more. They get more of my attention.

Thanks @RABid really appreciate it. I'm still not 100% over the line - I just sold a keyboard last week and working out whether I take this plunge or not :) 

I just bought it this year.   I got a 15% off from Musician's friend that applied to it, which is about all the sale you'll ever get on it I think.

I honestly wish I'd bought it years ago and honestly I probably should have gone that way instead of Komplete--I don't use nearly as much in that that I though I would.   it's right in my wheelhouse as a certified preset tweaker.   It's ironic that so far a bunch of the sounds I've used were originally from Atmosphere (it'll say so on those patches!) which is the precursor to Omnisphere 1.   I'd played with Atmosphere years and years ago and loved it then.    I really like some of the usability features, like being able to "lock" various things as you go through presets.  E.g. you find an arp you really like on a preset, lock it and then when you change presets everything else (that isn't locked) changes but that arp remains.   Same for if you prefer to use say a reverb from your DAW--nothing is more annoying that trying out presets and having to go turn off the verb on each of them.   I'm sure there's a lot of other features like that in such a mature product.  The Orb seems really cool and I believe it has a randomize (or maybe just the Orb is randomized, can't recall off hand).   

• Like 1
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I just bought it this year.   I got a 15% off from Musician's friend that applied to it, which is about all the sale you'll ever get on it I think.

I honestly wish I'd bought it years ago and honestly I probably should have gone that way instead of Komplete--I don't use nearly as much in that that I though I would.   it's right in my wheelhouse as a certified preset tweaker.   It's ironic that so far a bunch of the sounds I've used were originally from Atmosphere (it'll say so on those patches!) which is the precursor to Omnisphere 1.   I'd played with Atmosphere years and years ago and loved it then.    I really like some of the usability features, like being able to "lock" various things as you go through presets.  E.g. you find an arp you really like on a preset, lock it and then when you change presets everything else (that isn't locked) changes but that arp remains.   Same for if you prefer to use say a reverb from your DAW--nothing is more annoying that trying out presets and having to go turn off the verb on each of them.   I'm sure there's a lot of other features like that in such a mature product.  The Orb seems really cool and I believe it has a randomize (or maybe just the Orb is randomized, can't recall off hand).   

Great stuff thanks @Stokely - I'm a present tweaker too so that ticks another box for me :thu:

I haven’t taken the leap, but given that Eric Persing is at the helm, I’m certain it’s phenomenal. I’ve watched demos, etc. but I’m not looking to fall into a deep rabbit hole of patch ratings and organization right now. I just want to finish more projects and most of those don’t require new sounds.

But one day I’ll get there … I do own Trillian, which has some great bass synths for certain.

Todd

• Like 1

Sundown

Finished: Gateway,  The Jupiter Bluff,  Condensation

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

I've got Omnisphere on the same external ssd (4TB) as my logic projects and other libraries, no speed or performance issues so far.  It's a pretty standard ssd, I don't remember what it is offhand, it was on sale.   fwiw I do connect that drive directly to a mac usb-c port rather than go through a hub.

Does anybody use Omnisphere live in Mainstage? That sounds like something Mainstage users would consider dangerous. I am wondering about using it for my church gig in my new mainstage rig.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

13 hours ago, Stokely said:

I've got Omnisphere on the same external ssd (4TB) as my logic projects and other libraries, no speed or performance issues so far.  It's a pretty standard ssd, I don't remember what it is offhand, it was on sale.   fwiw I do connect that drive directly to a mac usb-c port rather than go through a hub.

This is great advice, thanks! The drive I'll be using won't be SSD unfortunately but will give it a go. Also interested in the answer to @Bobadohshe's question as I've assumed it's too CPU intensive to use live with Mainstage but I would if I could...

I haven't noticed much of a delay in pulling up patches, but I did ages ago with the old app Atmosphere--on a much slower computer with a much slower drive.   That would my first test for live use.  I also am pretty addicted to "patch remain" especially with how seamless it is on my Nord Stage--I don't know if any VSTs have that feature but I absolutely use the heck out of it (scroll to the next patch while holding down notes to end the song typically).

SSDs are relatively cheap these days especially for a smaller one like 1TB.     Though I paid somewhere around 280 for my 4TB, mainly just wanted to reduce the "dongle clutter" around my laptop!

On 9/16/2024 at 4:14 PM, Bobadohshe said:

Does anybody use Omnisphere live in Mainstage? That sounds like something Mainstage users would consider dangerous. I am wondering about using it for my church gig in my new mainstage rig.

Sure, I use this rig all the time. I usually have many instances of Omnisphere running inside MainStage at a time on an M1 Powerbook and have had no issues.

The 14K+ presets scare me. 😛 Its taken several years to learn the various strengths of the instruments I have. I suspect they'd fall to one side as I made just the first pass through Omnisphere. The favorites utility would become meaningless after 1000. Its temptation overload. I've come close a few times, but chose to branch out instead. As one example, I have a healthy pile of AAS physical modeling patches, which continue to wow me. The fluidity is amazing.

If I took up Omnisphere, I'm afraid that it would turn into a crack habit. Right, like the GX-80 isn't enough of an OCD generator! 🤨 

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx