Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland A-88MKII MIDI 2.0 88-key controller

I think putting the controls on the left of an 88-key controller is a bad idea. Increases the amount of space need on stage, harder to fit into a compact car or SUV. Always wondered why Roland did this. And yeah, I'm not a fan of the Roland paddle unless it's combined with normal wheels like their awesome A-90/70s from long ago.

Yes to all of the above. That side control section looks like a freaking sidecar :laugh:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. And I think this might be the first commercial product of this stature to do so. After all, Roland is one of the driving forces behind MIDI 2.0. Yamaha too, I think, so maybe they have something coming as well?

2.0 is a big deal for a keyboard player like myself, with strong interest in acoustic instrument expression.

You are right, I haven't seen any other ' big 3 ' keyboard co's produce a 2.0 ready keyboard , other than this A-88 MKii

I would guess Yamaha and Korg are busy getting it implemented on certain models. Or maybe new models, not aware of their strategy.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

if you read up on 2.0, the major keyboard co's have been involved with 2.0, as well they should be.

You have to review if a particular keyboard is 'upgradeable '. Going from 1.0 to 2.0 is major change, as I read it

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

For those that have to travel and/or don"t like controls to the left of the keyboard, why not look at the RD-88? It weighs less and is not as wide as the A-88MKII:

RD-88

50-9/16 (W) x 10-3/16 (D) x 6-5/16 (H) inches

13.5 kg / 29 lbs 13 oz

Key Action PHA-4 Standard Keyboard: with Escapement and Ivory Feel

Zones 3

A-88 MKII

56-5/16 (W) inches x 10-13/16 (D) inches x 4-11/16 (H) inches

16.3 kg / 35 lbs. 15 oz.

Key Action PHA-4 Standard Keyboard: with Escapement and Ivory Feel

Zones 3

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

No mention of aftertouch at all by Roland. Maybe that's what 2.0 means: you don't need it!

I won't be buying a dedicated controller again without Poly AT.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I didn't raise the issue of controls to the left of keyboard. I merely pointed out the options. Make your choice...

Do you want less width and less weight with a DP that you can elect not to use or a wider, heavier controller only?

I don't think the $200 difference at list price is a critical variable if either board checks off your most important features/functions.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

I"m thinking a $200 price difference (actually only $100 over here) is peanuts for everything the RD-88 adds to the A-88MKII.

But the RD-88 weighs less and is probably not as sturdy if it's lighter (and potentially more plasticcy)? For those using in studio and not transporting it after installing in (home) studio, the weight doesn't matter but the sturdiness does. Why is the 'weighs less' a plus point if it's only going to be installed once or every time you do another studio setup?