Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trends in Live Music Venues

Relax y'all, it's a big city niche that journalists like to write about for clicks. Not coming near your bar gigs anytime soon.

Well, not,In Canada for,sûre, the milleium here are drinking way more than us!!!! Ok, they are Frozen on the Dark 6 months per year....

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My little college town has some of this, but it's all over the map. There's a "Kava Bar and Tea Lounge" (no alcohol) that hosts acoustic music as well as a weekly event for some of the most out-there, synth-driven, high-volume, bassoon-through-distorted-bass-amp-playing-12-tone experimental music I've ever heard. Then there are the more typical cocktail bars or coffeehouses that do acoustic music (folk, jazz, singer-songwriter). Then there are your typical bars-with-live-music that range from older clientele who mostly look for classic rock, to a slightly younger set that goes to the weekly Reggae Nights. There are also Grateful Dead tributes and jam bands of that ilk, which seem to be the Great Unifier here.

Different social groups and demographics go out for different things. I'd say the college students don't "need" live music for getting laid, for sure; it means it's sometimes trickier to pack a bar with a live band, but it also means there's a shot at people really coming with the intent to hear music when they show up.

I struggle to fit in at any of these venues, so I'll roll with the punches, I guess!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

In the town I live in, it seems half of the downtown businesses have closed up (hardware store, pharmacy, department store, and several more) and each has re-opened as a fancy pub or microbrewery. So drinking is alive and well here it seems! Funny how years ago downtown was busy during the daytime and dead at night - now its the exact opposite. Tons of people downtown at night, seven nights a week. But the beers aren't the $2 or $3.50 or $5 Miller Lites I used to drink.... They're crazy expensive now.

the beers aren't the $2 or $3.50 or $5 Miller Lites I used to drink.... They're crazy expensive now.

Yeah... excessive gouging has set in just about everywhere. :taz:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.