Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to Tolerate country fiddle, banjo, and steel guitar?

7 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

Oh wow, I don't know if he would have been their drummer 15 years ago, but a buddy and I caught one of their sets at a Disney park on a trip our senior year of high school and had a great time, bought their CD and everything. Nice bunch of dudes. Glad to hear they're still kicking.

I used to play with their guitarist, Randy Holbrook, in the mid-1980s. Phenomenal player, very talented.

• Love 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

On 8/17/2023 at 5:13 PM, Steve Nathan said:

SN fiddle??  As a younger session musician, any time I altered a factory preset to my liking, if I saved it, I always put the letters SN in front of the name.  I once had a producer drive me nuts trying to get him happy with an EP sound. Nothing I played was good enough, and finally he said he would go home and get the cartridge from his DX and bring me the sound he wanted.  Sure enough, it was called SN Rhodes, (my patch)  and one I'd already played him a couple hours earlier. 😖

Funny coincidence! Roland's SN being SuperNatural: their take on emulating acoustic instruments , and strangely enough emulating other synth sounds...:waitwhat:

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I play in a Americana band sometimes and fiddle is always too loud and the fuckin banjo.  The guys are great but can't learn to sit in a mix.  The sound guy constantly has to tell them how to set their amps. People also say it is too much in the audience.  Sometimes there is a cello player and that's a whole other thing.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

13 hours ago, Outkaster said:

I play in a Americana band sometimes and fiddle is always too loud and the fuckin banjo.  The guys are great but can't learn to sit in a mix.  The sound guy constantly has to tell them how to set their amps. People also say it is too much in the audience.  Sometimes there is a cello player and that's a whole other thing.

The banjo player uses an amp!!!!????!!!! I thought banjos were the reason amps were invented... for other instruments!

• Haha 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

On 6/8/2019 at 5:07 AM, Synthoid said:

[video:youtube]

I never noticed before (not that I actually looked, or anything), but those lights - the ones that light up one by one as Spock's coffin slides towards being ejected from the ship,  man,  that's a real classy touch right there.

Funereal.

The only reason any keyboard (typewriter) can compete with country fiddle, banjo, or steel guitar is the ease of playing multiple notes. Lack of organ velocity makes it the ultimate instrument....for the impatient. Add sampled presets and you are ready to feel superior to everyone...in your studio.

"I don't like accordion." 

It's kind of like saying "I hate German". There's alot of flavors and nuance to any experienced ear. To my own evolving ear, country fiddle, banjo, or steel guitar sound terrible or fantastic as performed. My own fiddle playing sounds terrible, but still better than any electronic preset, in my own living room. 

I just hate words. ;)

On the other hand, the greatest song, played by a virtuoso on a fantastic instrument, after 100 renditions, I never want to hear it again....at least for few years.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I've had two experiences with a pedal steel in the band, and enjoyed both. The first was in a band in Seattle with a guy who could swing between rhythm guitar and steel. He didn't stick around for long... started getting offers many times what we could pay him. The second was with a hired gun during the period from around 10 to 20 years ago, who we'd hire for big gigs like rodeo dances and such. He always had a standing offer to join, but loved to float because he was always working for good money. 

My takeaway was that there's a lot of good paying work for a talented pedal steel player.