Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Sam Cooke Steve Perry Connection

Song80s

I remember radio interviews with Journey just before they debuted Steve Perry. They expressed concern people would not accept his vocals. Schon described him as "a classy Marty Balin." That first album was risky given what Journey had done prior to it. As it turned out it was Steve Perry's vocal popularity that initially sold the new Journey not so much the material, not to say they did not also have a few good songs. But Wheel in the Sky? I was surprised that was so popular. It makes me think of a spaghetti western.

At that time I did not get a sense the push for a different direction was coming from the record company. Can anyone imagine a record company looking at rock fusion band and suggesting they completely change to a pop rock sound heavier on vocal harmonies with Neal Schon on guitar? Maybe you can :)

It seemed like the band wanted more success and aimed to appeal to larger audiences. They immediately worked up stage choreography utilizing a frontman sometimes putting both Rolie and Perry out front making a connection with the audience. Rolie clearly did not appear comfortable with it. Who could blame him? Perry immediately appealed to women. Rolie's career had been entirely off to the side at the keyboards. The band definitely wanted to present themselves attractively with their stylish attire.

Listening to this I can imagine Perry delivering every phrase exactly like Cooke's:

[video:youtube]

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Journey began in 1973 as an offshoot of Santana with guitarist Neal Schon and keyboardist/singer Gregg Rolie, but their first three albums failed to find a mass audience and they faced getting dropped from their record label.

Steve Perry was brought into the group to help them develop a more commercial sound, beginning with 1978s Infinity. The gambit worked immediately as lead single Wheel in the Sky reached Number 57 on the Hot 100

The Rather interview also touches on this. That Journey saw the band as following in Mahavishnu's [ John McLaughlin] foot steps. The record label wanted more sales- enter Steve Perry.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I was a huge fan of the early Journey. Saw them live. I was just sharing what it seemed like based upon what the band said in the interviews I listened to at that time. One thing that has stuck out in my mind is a comment Schon made a few years into the Perry era regarding their material. He said something like some bands say we need a song like that then write it. But Journey never did that. I have always thought a lot of the early Perry/Journey material, especially Evolution, was doing what he described other bands do, meaning they sat down and said we need a song like that one and wrote one. Evolution seemed comprised of songs to round out a set list, including an audience participation song and plenty for Perry to show off to excite the girls.

Steve is an athletic singer but he most certainly had "soul" or audiences around the globe would not have connected with him. Soul is more than an arranging style or melodies that use a blues scale to riff on, right? I recall a thread from a few months back on the debate of what constitutes soul. You can be soulful in any genre if your message is getting through.

I also equate 'soul ' with passion and emotion/inspiration. SP delivered all that, poured it out for +10 years w/Journey and in his solo work. You can get a fuller appreciation by checking out the interview.

Rather is skilled at stating the tough questions and getting an answer.

Singing with your heart and with intuitively varied "velocity" (for lack of a better word) is where the soul comes in. Another soulful vocalist who I think of when listening to Sam Cooke is Mick Hucknall of Simply Red. Mick does not get the credit he deserves.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/38ebqRJsIQs

Journey began in 1973 as an offshoot of Santana with guitarist Neal Schon and keyboardist/singer Gregg Rolie, but their first three albums failed to find a mass audience and they faced getting dropped from their record label.

Steve Perry was brought into the group to help them develop a more commercial sound, beginning with 1978s Infinity. The gambit worked immediately as lead single Wheel in the Sky reached Number 57 on the Hot 100

The Rather interview also touches on this. That Journey saw the band as following in Mahavishnu's [ John McLaughlin] foot steps. The record label wanted more sales- enter Steve Perry.

I was never a fan of Record companies in those days either. Managers and record companies routinely stole the Rights to their songs to get the royalties, and stole most of their money too.

Yeah, the record company wanted a "kroner". How long did Greg Rolie last with the band? He did not care for the direction of the band and got tired of touring. So, he quit.

As a KB wannabe I always come down on the side of the musicians and not greedy record companies and corrupt managers.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

If you want to understand what happened with Journey, here it is from Herbie Herbert (their manager) himself. It's a long read, but a wild one.

2001 interview

Searching for that, I also found this one from 2008, but I have not read it yet.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If you want to understand what happened with Journey, here it is from Herbie Herbert (their manager) himself. It's a long read, but a wild one.

2001 interview

Searching for that, I also found this one from 2008, but I have not read it yet.

Thanks Joe. Perry was a Jackass too.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Steven Tyler was a double jackass then.

He used to unplug the PA on the opening act if he felt they were being too successful.

He tried that on Kansas one night while they were playing on their own home turf. However they had been warned and had rerouted the power to the other side of the stage. So the cables he ripped out were dummies. Dave Hope then proceeded to threaten to kick his ass, at which point the other members of Aerosmith apologized for Steven being too "sensitive."

Moe

---

I was never a fan of Record companies in those days either. Managers and record companies routinely stole the Rights to their songs to get the royalties, and stole most of their money too.

Yeah, the record company wanted a "kroner". How long did Greg Rolie last with the band? He did not care for the direction of the band and got tired of touring. So, he quit.

As a KB wannabe I always come down on the side of the musicians and not greedy record companies and corrupt managers.

Mike T.

I understand the preference for the original Journey. We mostly agree, its always about the money.

My assumption, is that without money and a record label in 1977, Journey may have broken up. "Progressive " music was fragmenting/faltering. Established UK bands were dealing with this and watching the punk music trend.

Anyway, Enter Steve Perry.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Archived