Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Organist Ricky Peterson setting question.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Floyd Mayweather thinks he can get a billion-dollar deal from the UFC.

I think IMRT vs. JoJoB3 might be a better pay-per-view ticket, honestly.

MAJUSCULE... Now now now. Just a cutting session, no fists . lol

I do not hate anyone here , but I do detest disrespect for serious musicians esp older ones who have endured, persevered. it's a safe zone for me.

One of your fellow countrymen is a heroic figure for me.. Jordan Peterson.

Yet another misunderstood genius type.

Is this true, Floyd is looking for a billion? I love it. The world is crazy, and the Mayweathers' probably endured plenty of privation in their history.

Did you ever wonder about the possibility of Conor and Mayweather secretly making plans regarding huge money making strategies which involve no permanent injury?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Yeah, not gonna get into politics, but Jordan Peterson is a terrible human being. Truly. Terrible.

He says some things that make sense when presented in a certain light (because they're vague sweeping statements about human nature and such things) while encouraging dangerous behaviour and rhetoric. He is not fit for the platform he holds.

Whoops. Thought I was making a joke, guess I stepped into the ring. Might as well kill this thread now.

PM sent, but since I started this non starter, what about my Mayweather musings?

Please keep cool if I don't get back for a few days...

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

There will be nothing between Richard and I.

All I know of him is he's completely out of touch, feels he's above teachers for some reason, and likes super-terrible music that he will defend to the grave raving like a loon trying to 'make you understand'.

Oh, and he REALLY hates clowns.

Floyd Mayweather thinks he can get a billion-dollar deal from the UFC.

I think IMRT vs. JoJoB3 might be a better pay-per-view ticket, honestly.

All I know of him is he's completely out of touch, feels he's above teachers for some reason, and likes super-terrible music that he will defend to the grave raving like a loon trying to 'make you understand'.

But, acknowledging that MUSIC is one of the most subjective things on earth, doesn't he have the same right as you to determine what HE likes, and isn't his taste in music just as valid for HIM and yours is for YOU? All he did was ask a perfectly innocent question (done all the time here) only to be rewarded with a snarky, disrespectful response by someone who I guess thinks they have the god-given right to tell someone else what they should and shouldn't like. To paraphrase and old Ink Spots song, 'If that isn't ARROGANCE, it'll have to do, until the real thing comes along'.

Sorry for the rant but I have a real problem with musical snobbery and even more so with bullying tactics and meanness just for meannest sake. Hmmm, so I guess all the thousands of people who LIKE this song are all idiots too. Interesting.

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

Yeah, not gonna get into politics, but Jordan Peterson is a terrible human being. Truly. Terrible.

He says some things that make sense when presented in a certain light (because they're vague sweeping statements about human nature and such things) while encouraging dangerous behaviour and rhetoric. He is not fit for the platform he holds.

Whoops. Thought I was making a joke, guess I stepped into the ring. Might as well kill this thread now.

Completely disagree with you. He's the best.

gg22, I'm not sure what JP is the best at, but I'm going to agree with my fellow Albertan on this point, which is interesting since Peterson is from our province. There are parts of Alberta where folks are fairly intolerant and that is the environment in which JP grew up. I think that, under the suit and the presentation, he is still has a dark heart.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/2018/05/25/i-was-jordan-petersons-strongest-supporter-now-i-think-hes-dangerous.html

But, acknowledging that MUSIC is one of the most subjective things on earth, doesn't he have the same right as you to determine what HE likes,

Yes, he does and as I relayed I abhor that music I wasn't expecting to change. There are plenty of others who like that terrible music.

The first sentence was in answer to his question "what organ setting was making that sound at 4:08 on. But it wasn't just an organ making the sound, it was added vocals. Along with that reply, STEEPED IN HUMOR I relayed how I view that music.

It was when he came unglued with my take on that terrible music (chest thumping, spouting names, strange threats of bandstand fiction, lame, tired slights on music teachers, etc etc) as if some drunk, smooth jazz QWERTY gangster from crazy town when I responded accordingly (and with clarity). Those responses remain unchanged.

But yeah, the right to love that terrible music was always understood.

I have respect for teachers

No you don't.

I hold a few of them in highest regard.

My jab was directed at a particular teacher here.

'a few' teachers. Wow.

Nevertheless there is some credence to that old saying... Those who can't really play, teach.

Yeah, and it's an OLD saying for reason - it's false and it's dated.

As long as you disrespect David Sanborn and crew , by association... you are not worthy of much respect.

I made it clear I think that form of music is garbage. It's been confirmed CLEARLY on my end. What it has to do with YOU specifically is anyone's guess.

Oh, just for the record, Sanborn was a prodigy in St Louis who came up as a young teenager at the same time as Oliver Lake, Julius Hemphill and Hameitt Bluiett.

And THOSE cats respect(ed) the HELL outta him.

Plus ever hear his work with Gil Evans ?

YOU might not like his playing are music, but he CAN PLAY unlike Mr G. So it is INCORRECT to lump those two together.

That is all.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Yes, he is very much a player and can play. Too bad the majority of it is imo squandered on lowest common denominator, terrible smooth jazz. Kenny G can play too (same issue). Sorry you dont like the words.

Oh, just for the record, Sanborn was a prodigy in St Louis who came up as a young teenager at the same time as Oliver Lake, Julius Hemphill and Hameitt Bluiett.

YOU might not like his playing are music, but he CAN PLAY unlike Mr G. So it is INCORRECT to lump those two together.

That is all.

Yes, he is very much a player and can play. Too bad the majority of it is imo squandered on lowest common denominator, terrible smooth jazz. Kenny G can play too (same issue). Sorry you dont like the words.

That is all.

Kenny G may have FACILITY, but he CANNOT play changes.

I also have it on good authority from friends on tour who witnessed him TRYING to play at an after hours session.

(I dont generally use these second hand examples, but this from colleagues I have known for decades wth impeccable credentials)

Also, If you cant hear that in the abominiable Wonderful World or his other stuff .......then, I just dont know what to say.....

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Jo Jo

I apologize for the extended "passion" in my defense of Sanborn music.

I understand you are a serious jazz musician. I respect that. BTW I made another error in my heated responses, misundertanding that you were using Arnett Cobb as an example of what David apparently failed to do with his music.

I am originally a tenor player ... and knew Grover , who put this music on the map so to speak. I am an ardent defender of Grover as well as David.

But my background was Trane and later Sonny.. and around that time I finally realized that my love for Cannonball was based on possibly thee greatest of them all, Bird.

When much younger I had these divisive feelings about commercial music done by jazz people and people like Coltrane, Sonny ... the absolutely pure jazz people.

I lived with this division, that I believe you live with... eg Sanborn is terrible.

I get it. But as I grew older and wiser... I saw this self have broader and broader and still broader sympathies.

I went from "he sucks" to wow, this dude made a living in music for how many years without driving a taxi!!

My final message is this little drama between us , mirrored in the larger world outside of us

We better learn tolerance

I hate what you say but will defend to the death your right

Peace

and thank you

Hi All,

Seeing that this is getting rather heated, I texted Ricky P who is out with Fleetwood Mac at the moment.

We are old friends.

Here's his response:

"It's only a B3, there are no synths on the song. What they are hearing are real horns."

I hope that helps. Let's all get along!

Jon Regen

Editor

KEYBOARD

Joe Thank you so much. I am an admirer of Ricky. one of my buddies has played with him

I knew it was not a vocal I was hearing at 4:08 in the song Benny.

That sound he gets at 408-4:15 just thrills me. as if it sweetly cuts into my heart! Dramatic eh?

It sounded like his other hand added to that line that I like so much.

Thank you so much

I also have it on good authority from friends on tour who witnessed him TRYING to play at an after hours session.

(I dont generally use these second hand examples, but this from colleagues I have known for decades wth impeccable credentials)

Also, If you cant hear that in the abominiable Wonderful World or his other stuff .......then, I just dont know what to say.....

He doesn't claim to be a jazzer, though.

He's is fantastic at something that, I personally, would be fine never hearing again in my life. But more power to him. He's not a bad player--quite the opposite actually. He's just Zamfir.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

He doesn't claim to be a jazzer, though.

He's is fantastic at something that, I personally, would be fine never hearing again in my life. But more power to him. He's not a bad player--quite the opposite actually. He's just Zamfir.

I know full well Mr G SAYS he does not claim to be a jazzer.

But he put himself in the line of fire with the abysmal Wonderful World

But JoJo HAS put him in that category by comparng him to Sanborn.

And he is not the first to do so.

Howver, MoI, youve hit the nail on thehead by equating him with Zamfir!

Robert Bosch, 1919

Hi All,

Seeing that this is getting rather heated, I texted Ricky P who is out with Fleetwood Mac at the moment.

We are old friends.

Here's his response:

"It's only a B3, there are no synths on the song. What they are hearing are real horns."

I hope that helps. Let's all get along!

Jon Regen

Editor

KEYBOARD

hey Jon, thanks for stepping in here and sorting this out, as far as the OP's request, anyway. I am sure I am not alone in being thankful for all you do for this community. :thu:

:nopity:

It's all good, man. Neither of us had the time to continue bantering music likes/dislikes anyway.

* And I apologize if it came off as saying David "isn't a player" because he very much is (that is VERY MUCH known). It's the music 'choices' I have to stay away from.

** But I'm DEAD serious about Arnett Cobb. The entire planet should listen to him daily (holy moly melody Gods!!!)

Jo Jo

I apologize for the extended "passion" in my defense of Sanborn music.

I understand you are a serious jazz musician. I respect that. BTW I made another error in my heated responses, misundertanding that you were using Arnett Cobb as an example of what David apparently failed to do with his music.

I am originally a tenor player ... and knew Grover , who put this music on the map so to speak. I am an ardent defender of Grover as well as David.

But my background was Trane and later Sonny.. and around that time I finally realized that my love for Cannonball was based on possibly thee greatest of them all, Bird.

When much younger I had these divisive feelings about commercial music done by jazz people and people like Coltrane, Sonny ... the absolutely pure jazz people.

I lived with this division, that I believe you live with... eg Sanborn is terrible.

I get it. But as I grew older and wiser... I saw this self have broader and broader and still broader sympathies.

I went from "he sucks" to wow, this dude made a living in music for how many years without driving a taxi!!

My final message is this little drama between us , mirrored in the larger world outside of us

We better learn tolerance

I hate what you say but will defend to the death your right

Peace

and thank you

Not in favor, until more detail on that voice that was added at 4:08.

I knew it was Not a "vocal" or another instrument, though it resembled a Rhodes thru a Leslie.

So if it is not a Rhodes thru a Leslie or Leslie effect, it is a different B3 setting in the other hand.

As far as the undignified non sense that makes this thread shameful..

I justify my righteous indignation in defending another musician, on the heels of mocking my 100% legit question about a sound

I apologized, Jo Jo did not..

This is an instructive thread reflective of the times we are all enduring. Again, I have apologized. If someone insults an iconic figure again, I will again be incensed... perhaps I will be a little less angry in my speech here.

What kind of blood runs through your veins, when someone dear to you is publically mocked, eh?

So my position, is spit in my face, I will wipe it, but spit in a beloved persons face... and look out.... followed by an apology.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So if anyone chooses to actually LISTEN to 408 carefully ... that would be cool.

And if there is any way that Ricky Peterson info on setting( one of my all time favorite modern oragnists ) could find its way here... that would benefit all who love the B3.

An older and wiser musician once told me if you cannot say something positive about another musician then say nothing. It's about acceptance.

For the record, I love Sanborn's playing on everything I have heard him do. I have no problem with good smooth jazz such as Joe Sample, George Benson, etc. It can really groove, be uplifting, and soulful at times.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

An older and wiser musician once told me if you cannot say something positive about another musician then say nothing. It's about acceptance.

For the record, I love Sanborn's playing on everything I have heard him do. I have no problem with good smooth jazz such as Joe Sample, George Benson, etc. It can really groove, be uplifting, and soulful at times.

Rosa-en-un-piano.jpg