Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Going price for nice B3s now?

Gary75

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buy from the midwest if you can, where organs are more plentiful and cheaper. Expect to pay a 25% or more premium if it is located on the coast.

Prices are down a bit these days. Expect to pay $3k for a nice B-3 and $1.5k for a nice leslie from the midwest.

Moe

---

The supply of B-3's is becoming less from what I am seeing.

There are ZERO B-3's on Craigslist in major west coast cities right now. Unless you want to pay 10K in L.A.

Leslies are also becoming more scarce.

There had been a run on them for a while when Craigslist started 10 or so years ago, but that has changed from what I am seeing.

Anyone who cares to report CL listings, be my guest. Good luck finding that " living room" B-3 for 3 grand.

I maybe in a position to acquire one to bring to the UK and am wondering what the rate is for a living room condition B3? And some trustworthy shops in the US as Ill be buying sight unseen essentially.

would never do a sight unseen purchase for that sum of money on a used thing.

if it was a $50 purchase, not a big deal.

If you find a private party selling or even some type of dealer, suggest you find someone knowledgeable on this forum to give it a good going over.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Buy from the midwest if you can, where organs are more plentiful and cheaper.

regardless of price, this is good advice. Another forum member in Australia just purchased one from the state of Michigan. Good luck with your search

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2974682/Airfreight_a_Hammond#Post2974682

:nopity:

Sure you can find them for cheap on CL, but 99.99% of the sellers won't deal with an international customer period. Dealers will be MUCH higher, regardless of location.

Here's a nice one in the Seattle area with Leslie for $3,000.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/msg/d/woodinville-hammond-b3-and-leslie-147rv/6813829345.html

Here's another one, MINT with PR40 speaker and 122 Leslie speaker, for $8,500.

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/msg/d/seattle-hammond-b3/6809294676.html

Busch.

Agree 100% with the comment that most sellers won't deal with international customers. Scammers are way too common and so people might not even give you a chance.

That said, I live in the Midwest, in MN. I see a lot of A-100s around on Craigslist. Not a ton of B3s. Church organs are incredibly rare.

Here's what's around MN right now:

A-100 in a BV cabinet - Fargo ND

B3 w/ 122, slightly worn outer case, Twin Cities

C2, Roseville

A-100 with 22H, upgraded internally to 122 specs - Hurley, WI

C2 plus smooth drawbars and Trek II percussion - Duluth, MN

Other models with other tabs in addition to drawbars are around. Tons of spinets, an M3 too.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Yes ideally Id want someone with knowledge to check one over for contacts, internally etc.

As for shipping, Id assume Id NEED to deal with an organ company that provides that service as a private seller will not get involved in that process.

240v B3s are like hens teeth over here as they were never assembled here I believe and were special order. Although having said that I know two chaps local that have 240v B3s

The truth is that I have a nice C3, it has sentimental attachment as it brought about a lot of joy when I was in poor health as a youngster. Im being asked to sell it but I would only do so to get a B3 for the home. But to get a B3 for the home, rightly or wrongly Id need to fork out a lot more than for a C3. My pricing is based on the acquisition of a B3 as that is all I would contemplate selling my C3 for.

Be careful of "counterfeits". The "French Poodle" A-100 case is a popular one to scavenge from as no rock musician would be seen with that case. A-100 is same electronically as B-3. Transfer A-100 guts to an older B case (like B-2), and they sell it as a "B-3".

You're not likely to find that in a living room, but beware otherwise.

1962 B-3, 122 Lansing Michigan CL.

$6900.

The market seems to be changing.....

It's a decent year but that is too much.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

A-100 is same electronically as B-3. Transfer A-100 guts to an older B case (like B-2), and they sell it as a "B-3".

I'm trying to understand why this would make a difference. The A-100 is electronically the same as a B-3. And if someone stuck an A-100 into a B2 case, how really is that different than if it sits in a B3 case. The logical response is going to be that an A-100 sells for $1500 and a B-3 has more value, probably double. My response is that I wouldn't pay double for the B-3 to begin with, in fact I would pay no more for a B-3 than an A100, AND in fact I paid $500 for my B3/122 and my B-3 is in pristine condition (9 out of 10) while my leslie is 7 out of 10, also mechanically it has zero issues. For all I know my B3 might have A100 guts, or replacement parts from an A100, who knows and I don't think that I care, and I'm thinking that I'm not in the complete minority.....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

A franken organ, or "counterfeit" as MC puts it, is an interesting phenomenon. Electrically and functionally identical to the original, as long as the transfer wasn't botched.

You are really paying extra for the B-3 case. As long as the instrument isn't sold at a premium and being presented as a pristine from the factory organ, I don't have a problem with it. In fact, it's an inexpensive way to get a B-3 if someone knows what they are doing.

I've had B-3s with worn manuals freshened by swapping in lightly used A-100 manuals, and they play fantastically (watch for the foam tho..)

Just present it for what it is when you sell it, and everybody will be happy.

Moe

---

Add one comment about the motor: The US and some other countries use 115 volt ac at 60 hz (cycles per second). Most European countries use not only 220 volt but also 50 Hz. Not sure what Australia uses.

The voltage part can be handled fairly easy with a step down transformer, but that does NO good with the frequency difference.

The motor is a "synchronous" motor - meaning that (as long as it has close enough to normal voltage to pull the load and not so much as to damage it), the voltage can vary a bit without problem.

However, the 60Hz motor will only run at 5/6 of normal speed when driven by 50 Hz energy. This will cause all notes to be lowered in pitch by 1/6, which is quite noticeable.

Originally B3 and similar that were produced for the 220v/50Hz market either used different motors or a pully chain that corrected the RPM of the motor for normal pitch. There are also some electronic devices that can do that (using a circuit that generated power at the desired frequency).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

And if someone stuck an A-100 into a B2 case, how really is that different than if it sits in a B3 case.

The vast majority of B3s were manufactured with a five-piece fallboard. B2s were manufactured four-piece curved fallboards. Also, there is no cover on the back of an A100 expression pedal.

(Hey, you asked)

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Here's a new one that popped up a few minutes ago. Not sure what model/condition as I'm NOT a Hammond expert by *any* means at all.

Best offer. Vintage Hammond Organ - Hastings, MN

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

That's a B3. It'll need work, but looks like it has really good bones.

Heres a Hammond BV in an A100 case with Leslie 25 in Minneapolis. Spring reverb doesn't work and leslie audio can be intermittent. Not a B3 I know. Just mentioning it anyways.

- Look for A100's (A101, A100, A102), C3's, and of course B3's but don't rule out the D-100, RT3. If you know you won't be playing bassist get into an M3 or L100 and like TW models...save yourself some major $.

- Your toughest part will be finding a vintage 122/147, so maybe go for the package deals.

- If planning to gig with it hunt for B3s or A1xx's (or clones, but that's a diff story) as they fit in most minivans a bit easier. That does NOT mean they are lighter. B3's are a bit lighter.

- The Franken-B (A1xx guts inside a B3/BV/BC/etc.) is a thumbs up from me (because again, some of the best B3's are A1xx's). The build and look of the BC/BV cab is sweet imo.

- 99.9% of hammonds are repairable, and much of it YOURSELF. So if you really want the real deal don't let looks, serial #'s/dates, or repairs get in the way.

- The Hammond chop is NOT better than the real deal intact. 'Most chops' do away with the pedal bass system. And furthermore, there's minimal weight-loss in a chop anyway...so yer paying top dollar (usually more) for a "hacked Hammond, usually with no bass functionality and you really didn't make your load all that easier. There is a place for them AT TIMES (mainly for touring, non-bass playing keys players or at large show/venues as backline fro 'rawkers'), but generally...chops suck. May as well play a clone.

They don't make these anymore so supporting the clone and not chops is better.

- Just because you may find/have a year Hammond that falls within the notorious "foam issue period" doesn't mean you have a foam issue (period where they switched to foam seals where it would deteriorate and eat at the thin nest of wires near it). In fact, I've seen more working foam year models than pre-foam.

- Looks matter not if you can play. It matters only to the sharks selling them. In fact, the nicer the organ the player is at the more expectation I have of the player. And the reverse of that - nothing more awesome seeing/hearing an organist killing it onstage with a beatup Ham & Leslie. :)

- Yes, there is a visual effect of a real Ham/leslie onstage. All bands with the real deal onstage are automagically bumped up a notch on the wow-o-meter. Just make sure you have someone that can play it though.

Sidenote: There is another valid case for clones. Can't tell you how many dipshit posers who request a 'real Hammond backline' onstage that I've caught STANDING at a near mint B3 onstage afraid to touch a DB/switch past the leslie tremolo because they haven't a clue what it does nor how to undo it. These same types are always trying to play the reversed colored preset keys as well, frantically looking for help asking "what happened?!!?". These types will sometimes also be seen STANDING ON TOP OF PEDALS as they play. Others will usually walk up and place their shitty, red Nord on top of it and play that 98% of the show (glorified vntage stand). THESE CERTAIN SPECIAL K'S SHOULD BE LIMITED TO CLONES...OR BETTER, THE AUDIENCE.

Just remember that the D100s are really long and really heavy. I own a lot of Hammonds, and that is the one (maybe also my BC?) that I NEED help loading into the van.

Archived