Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fingertip soreness from playing too hard

Dave Bryce

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some actions do that to me more than others, even when you are banging out the rock n' roll. For example, the CP4 - so it had to go. Doesn't seem to happen as much on my piano as on other fully-weighted electronic keyboards. My only suggestion is: when competing with the guitarist, turn the amps up to 11, rather than trying to do it manually!

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

The funny thing is...once the adrenaline hit last nght, I didn't feel it very much at all. :idk:

Today - different story. :eek:

Luckily, I have a NAMM show coming up this week. I'm sure my hands will get plenty of rest. :crazy::facepalm:

You want pain?

Play bass, even lightly, when you've let your callouses lapse (like mine, now). You will have actual blisters and SERIOUS pain. You need thick, near-leathery callouses to play bass. Man, if the phone rings and someone wants me to come play bass, like, for real? I'm going to be in a heap o' trouble.

Keyboards? Huh...keyboard players ain't gots no callouses. Keyboards are what I play when I can't play bass.

I have a couple of Sandberg basses and one custom built bass - all black with gold machines, Warmoth body, Kubicki neck (ebony fretboard), EMG pickups, Bartolini EZ-Q synth filter and (I swear) a built-in Boss CE-2 chorus pedal. :cool:

Now, if I could only play any of them decently. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Anyone else get it? :idk:

Sometimes I just enjoy myself a bit too much, and end up with one or two fingertips that are sensitive to contact for a few days. Got one finger with that issue today, and I have a gig tonight... :eek:

Wish there was a quick fix.

dB

Only if I cut my fingernails too short.

Second this. Ive found if I cut my nails at least a day before a weekend of gigging (say, Thursday before Friday-Saturday gigs), my fingertips dont get as sore.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Also, remember that if your fingers are taking that much of a beating, so is your action. Take it from someone who has done his share of unnecessary damage to his boards before I wised the hell up.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

When I play with a certain band my fingers get beaten up and split.

I find it's directly proportional to the stage volume and whether or not I can hear myself.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

A friend of mine had this problem in the 90s. He "solved" it by treating his fingertips with benzocaine (oral-gel). It would at least help you get through a show.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Please forgive the next snide paragraph, but let's see if I understand this:

• put orajel on your fingers so you won't feel the tissue damage; :puff:
  • So what if you permanently damage yourself -- what'smore important is that you squished that poor silicon rubber pad! :facepalm:

Take it from someone who tends to damage his own flesh when playing music too enthusiastically: our health is more important than the performance or the equipment. Now if I can just practice what I preach....

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

You think Oragel is bad? Wait'll you find out what you can accomplish with cocaine!

On a more serious note, I'm glad I've never had this problem, but I will do *whatever* it takes to get through a show in my best form possible. I actually keep lidocaine in my gig bag because I sometimes suffer from cracked skin on backs of my hands (weird skin condition) and hang nails. Way more effective than benzocaine, BTW. I also have Gaviscon to counteract occasional stomach problems, which can be triggered by Naproxen that I take for the slipped disc in my upper T-spine which presses on the nerve that controls fingers 4 and 5 of my right hand.. (I'm on meloxicam now..way better...for now at least)

Synths songs hurt more than piano type stuff. I guess because the K2-88 is my master board for everything but I seem to use different power generation for different types of sounds. For piano stuff a lot of power comes from heavy forearms and I often flatten the finger out some ... Less arch less fingertip impact ... Depends on the songs. Synths stuff I use more finger power, more arch like I would on a synth. Not sure why.... Habit.... Probably

Bad technique. Regardless I think of keeping the centers of the palms relaxed. Tension makes tired and slow hands.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

That's why I sold my P90. The action was too heavy to play, too much force to push the keys down.

It's why I stopped playing my SG-1D.... I guess about 20 years ago. I don't think it's the amount of force to push the keys down, though. I think that it's that the felts are so thin. My Rhodes had even heavier action than the Korg but my hands never hurt after gigging with it. My not-necessarily-scientific conclusion was that the Rhodes had a lot of "mush" at the end of the key travel. But the Korg had very little mush at all - they key must decelerate to a complete stop in a very short distance. I figured my fingers were subject to much harsher deceleration on the Korg.

Since then I've always played on semi-weighted keyboards since then, and adapted my playing to require a lighter touch. I don't have nearly as much finger strength as I used to, but my fingers don't hurt anymore either.

Anyone else get it? :idk:

Sometimes I just enjoy myself a bit too much, and end up with one or two fingertips that are sensitive to contact for a few days. Got one finger with that issue today, and I have a gig tonight... :eek:

Wish there was a quick fix.

dB

Only if I cut my fingernails too short.

Second this. Ive found if I cut my nails at least a day before a weekend of gigging (say, Thursday before Friday-Saturday gigs), my fingertips dont get as sore.

On a related note: how often do you guys cut your nails and do you ever try to cut them a certain number of days before a gig?

Seems like I cut my nails every 5-6 days, and I generally try to avoid cutting them the same day of a gig. Sometimes the timing doesn't work out.

I'll agree that it's a monitoring issue in a loud band. I get this once in a while too and it seems to be from playing harder to compensate for stage volume. It happened more with my FA08, haven't experienced it on the Kronos yet.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I keep nail clippers in my van. I frequently cut my nails en route to the venue. What's the issue with same-day cutting??

I keep nail clippers in my van. I frequently cut my nails en route to the venue. What's the issue with same-day cutting??

I find that my fingertips are more prone to get a little irritated if I play for a long time when the nails are very short.

Archived