Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

stumbled onto this haunting music

TommyRude

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love it!

Any idea where that was? Reminds me of the art center in San Antonio, TX. Also sounds familiar - I think from a movie or something.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Love it!

Any idea where that was? Reminds me of the art center in San Antonio, TX. Also sounds familiar - I think from a movie or something.

Looks like Albert Hall.

A wikki search gave me this-

A version of the rhyme became familiar to many UK children when it became the theme tune of an ITV children's TV show called Magpie, which ran from 1968 to 1980. The popularity of this version is thought to have displaced the many regional versions that had previously existed.

While I appreciate the musicality of this, I have to be honest and say I found it incredibly unsettling from both an audio and visual standpoint.

Still a cool share - thanks!

Hey Cowboy, I think I know what you're talking about, and I'm thinking the stuff you find unsettling is the stuff I'm finding most compelling... but let me see if I'm right. Which video are you referencing, and what specifically unsettling stuff are you referring to?

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

While I appreciate the musicality of this, I have to be honest and say I found it incredibly unsettling from both an audio and visual standpoint.

Hey Cowboy, I think I know what you're talking about, and I'm thinking the stuff you find unsettling is the stuff I'm finding most compelling... but let me see if I'm right. Which video are you referencing, and what specifically unsettling stuff are you referring to?

The first one you posted. I wasn't going anywhere near the second one after that, heheh.

And I suspect you're right, I'd say the elements of this piece that I find disturbing are the very things that I'm sure many others (like the rapt audience at the Albert Hall) find magnetic and wonderful.

Since you asked, I didn't like the sound, the arrangement, the method of vocal delivery nor the stage presentation of the band. It actually provoked an unpleasant physiological reaction in me, the way I imagine some people react to balloons being rubbed or squeaky writing on a chalkboard.

All good - horses for courses and as I said in my post above it's undeniably musical. I certainly didn't find it boring - just disturbing.

The first one you posted. I wasn't going anywhere near the second one after that, heheh.

And I suspect you're right, I'd say the elements of this piece that I find disturbing are the very things that I'm sure many others (like the rapt audience at the Albert Hall) find magnetic and wonderful.

Since you asked, I didn't like the sound, the arrangement, the method of vocal delivery nor the stage presentation of the band. It actually provoked an unpleasant physiological reaction in me, the way I imagine some people react to balloons being rubbed or squeaky writing on a chalkboard.

All good - horses for courses and as I said in my post above it's undeniably musical. I certainly didn't find it boring - just disturbing.

Got it. And I was incorrect in my prediction. I thought you might be referring to the visuals in the 2nd video, and specifically, the section from 2:40 - 3:10. The whole thing to me is amazing, and I think they get deeply into the pocket, especially when the piano kicks in earlier in the video, and on and on they go, softly but with purpose. Not the same as a funk pocket, but a pocket nonetheless.

As for the sound, the vocals are naturally deep, and EQ'd to fill the sonic spectrum. Adding more instruments would only get in the way of this masterful vocal storytelling.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Certain elements reminded me tangentially of an old favorite of mine:

[video:youtube]

Yes I was thinking the same thing. Clannad's vocals are from another world. They are from Ireland, and the Unthanks are from the UK (and I think there are similar sounds from Scotland), but it all has a thread of folk music and storytelling. It seems that the music from this part of the world, there is a thread of Indian influence, with the harmonium and droning types of bagpipe-like sounds, love it.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I found Harold Budd's 1988 album, "The White Arcades" very haunting; eerily beautiful, and at times unsettling. There aren't any YouTube examples to post, but I did locate a Bandcamp page:

https://haroldbudd.bandcamp.com/album/the-white-arcades

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Interesting thread. I watched the posted video a few times, and then the other stuff the Unthanks had on the web.

My conclusion? It's formulaic. Once you know what they're up to, everything is pretty predictable. Not that it's bad or anything, just not as deep as I'd like upon repeated listenings.

I wish them the best.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Interesting thread. I watched the posted video a few times, and then the other stuff the Unthanks had on the web.

My conclusion? It's formulaic. Once you know what they're up to, everything is pretty predictable. Not that it's bad or anything, just not as deep as I'd like upon repeated listenings.

I wish them the best.

OK, but if it's a great formula, and predictably excellent, then sign me up!

Part of the appeal of this stuff for me, is the storytelling, the history of this music that stretches back generations, the family aspect, it feels like there is a social consciousness to what they are doing. That takes it all to another level, way beyond the sound and the notes.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Part of the appeal of this stuff for me, is the storytelling, the history of this music that stretches back generations, the family aspect, it feels like there is a social consciousness to what they are doing. That takes it all to another level, way beyond the sound and the notes.

Nicely put.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Archived