Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Do you crave or seek out 'whats new ' ?

Song80s

https://medium.com/s/thenewnew/the-shock-of-the-new-59a777498208

Human beings are programmed to seek out the novel and the new. The psychological term for it is neophilia, which is that drive for the unexperienced and the unexplored. Its what powers fields like computer science and medicine and tech, spurring invention and discovery. And its also fuel for fear.

We crave the new;but we resist it. We obsess over the future, and are pulled back into the past. We pray tomorrow will be better than yesterday, even though we really only have today (dark, but true). Its heady stuff. But its also rich territory for reading and thinking, which is why The New New is the theme of this issue.

All month long, well look at new ways to solve old problems, from catching serial killers to powering your phone. Well reveal stunning scientific discoveries happening in real time, and explain what they mean for you (and the future of the species). Well dig into the psychological underpinnings of novelty-seeking behavior. Well look at how businesses are preparing for the future. And well talk about who (and what) people are having sex with these days.

At the same time, we wont ignore the motion sickness that accompanies this accelerated pace of change. Our quest for the new has sped up our lives;;by one count, human movement has increased by a factor of 100, communications by a factor of 10 million, information transmission by 10 billion. Yet our stubborn bodies and brains remain largely unchanged&;a 10-speed bike on the Autobahn.

We may not be made for these times, but the new doesnt ask for your permission.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't read the article itself yet but from what I think is yer brief on it there are some things not completely true, e.g, the idea that ppl are predisposed to seek the novel or new.

That may be true in some regards & more for some than for others but there's a definite entrenchment of what makes folks feel comfortable, whether it's a fave taste in music, food or other things.

This can be seen particularly in the v. young who want to hear a story repeatedly as well as older folks (& not just the v. old) who'd rather hear a recording they're familiar with from years passed than even do something as easy as push a button to have something new presented to them.

While at some point most kids become interested in learning more abt the world, I don't think the "comfort of the familiar" ever goes completely away.

Think of those who wanna see a new movie but prefer one that's an extension or even reiteration of one they know.

Or how many wish for The Good Olde Daze.

That's regularly demonstrated at this forum, among others.

I feel that way myself sometimes but also make it a practice to continue checking out new artists & cultures.

Now to take a closer look at this that link, which seems to offer an ongoing exploration of ... something. :idk

-------------------

Later....Didn't take long to see that whatever might be upcoming it ain't there yet, eh ?

d=halfnote

Nah I do not seek out what is new. I used to when I was younger, nowadays I try and seek out what is happening as it passes. Trying to focus in on the present. New things come along all the time, I do not seek them I just appreciate some of them as they happen.

Haven't read the article itself yet but from what I think is yer brief on it there are some things not completely true, e.g, the idea that ppl are predisposed to seek the novel or new.

That may be true in some regards & more for some than for others but there's a definite entrenchment of what makes folks feel comfortable, whether it's a fave taste in music, food or other things.

This can be seen particularly in the v. young who want to hear a story repeatedly as well as older folks (& not just the v. old) who'd rather hear a recording they're familiar with from years passed than even do something as easy as push a button to have something new presented to them.

While at some point most kids become interested in learning more abt the world, I don't think the "comfort of the familiar" ever goes completely away.

Think of those who wanna see a new movie but prefer one that's an extension or even reiteration of one they know.

I feel that way myself sometimes but also make it a practice to continue checking out new artists & cultures.

Now to take a closer look at this that link, which seems to offer an ongoing exploration of ... something. :idk

-------------------

Later....Didn't take long to see that whatever might be upcoming it ain't there yet, eh ?

I

-------------------

LOL. yes, not much to see, I think

"medium " is a blog mostly by creative writers, self help gurus, etc etc . I like it enough

to pay a monthly subscription.

The author of this particular article is some kind of big cheese at Medium.

Anyway, the article suggests people are programmed to be sheep and robotically obsessed

by the shiny new.

This might be true with many but I draw a line that its a general assertion.

Most folks I know are discriminating and careful consumers.

Yes, some will run out and buy the latest $1200 iPhone , not because they need it, but because they like to show off their 'trophy ' to their friends, and impress others at Starbucks( for example]. Its one of those " hey, look at me " .

Picking on Apple, this is what hi tech cos do repeatedly. The nice terms is ' creative destruction '. They shorten product life cycles , create chaos, and the only solution is to buy some new expensive device they are selling.

I realize big businesses and other parties have been manipulating consumers for many

decades/even centuries.

I refuse to follow the herd. Others can and will do as they please as it might be what they believe makes them ' happy'.

Thats my rant against this author and her assertions.

I thought to post it here, since we are musicians and our craft is influenced

by the products we buy.

My Korg keyboard is 7 years old. I am happy with it, its my song writing partner.

Given that its aging is non essential and non relevant to my music production.

[70's Songwriter]

I seek the comfort of the familiar...but I seek the new as well.

...depending, fo course, on what EXACTLY were talking about.

Im probably most adventurous when it comes to music and cuisine. In the former, im always looking for new bands, new guitars, new effects.

In the latter, Im always open to trying a new cuisine, or experimenting with a new recipe.

Other things, not so much. Im no thrill-seeker, for instance. You wont catch me skydiving unless Im falling out of a plane.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Nah, I wouldn't say I seek out the new, per se, but rather instead I am always surprising myself by finding something new in something old.

Perhaps this comes from primarily being a classical musician with a lot of jazz and world music, and just doing rock/pop on the side. But it always amazes me when I hear an aspect of a piece I've heard all my life, that is revelatory.

Of course, if someone else points me to something, I usually give it a listen. And as I mostly deal with live music, I support New Music as much as I can -- especially by female composers.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Nah I do not seek out what is new. I used to when I was younger, nowadays I try and seek out what is happening as it passes. Trying to focus in on the present. New things come along all the time, I do not seek them I just appreciate some of them as they happen.

Yeah, when I was younger, I didn't necessarily "seek out" the new, but didn't reject it out of hand( still mostly don't). Plus, back then something "new" was always coming along and at such a quick pace, one DIDN'T have to do much "seeking".

Plus, these days I'm so busy with trying to re-enforce what my mind sometimes mistakenly recalls as the past that I'll give some token attention to the "new" if and when I have the time for it. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Not inclined to dive into the link, but I will try to answer the question as posed.

While I'm often arguing in favor of seeking new sounds, and new ideas, I tend to look for what serves me best, and that results in a mix of 'Old' and 'New'. There's a vast difference between seeking novelty for its own sake, and looking for a new tool, a new Instrument, a piece of tech, that serves you better in terms of something you really need, or will use.

This past year, my wife and I bought the very first television either of us had ever bought in our adult lives; we'd always had used tv's passed down from folks who bought the newest models. Finally, we broke down and bought a new one, and honestly, we've enjoyed it, but we bought it because we needed to, not because we wanted one.

I'll very often wait on a new piece of gear until I see how it holds up in the market, and IRL. I've seen plenty of "new" tech that went into the trash heap, 8-track players, ZIP drives, you can probably make your own list of "orphan" gear. SynthAxxe, anyone? ARP Avatar? Not everything new is better, and new or old, if something doesn't serve your needs, in Music or day-to-day life, what good is it? Some of the things that serve me best are old, in more than one sense.

My Jeep is nearly 20 years old, and it is as stripped-down as any model can be. If I could afford a brand-new car, I'd drop a new engine in the old Jeep, instead.

My gardening tools are all hand tools; a bunch of 19th Century farmers would recognize anything in my tool kit, although the plastic handles on some things might seem odd to them.

My favorite solid-body Electric is still the Gibson SG, which hasn't changed much in nearly 60 years, but I also have a pair of Synth Access Guitars, and a recent model 8-string.

While I have a few current Synths, some of my favorites, and some of my most versatile Synths, are older models that I bought used, like my Korg Wavestation SR and my Alesis QS8. I spent $300 total for both of them.

Again, if I had the money to run out and buy whatever, newness isn't a high qualifier for me, but function is. Better is better. Just one old guy's opinion . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

+1 Brother Winston, as Brother Fred would say "well said, well written!" I can relate to the jeep as I had 3 in my time: 46CJ2A with a Chevy 350, 53CJ3B High Hood with a 307 Chevy and my last one was a 2004 Rubicon with a straight 6 fuel injected. I just sold the Rubicon as I'm too old to go rock climbing and gave up hunting back in '83. I like it smooth now as my back feels much better. Putting a newer motor in an old body is the way to go...

I still have an 88 key Kurzweil digital keyboard and wish I had never sold my old Juno 60 Analog. But, I stopped playing them and moved on to just playing guitar (for now). I will breakdown and buy a new lap top as I've about wore this one out. Our TV is 3 years old and hanging in there. I remember testing tubes and going to the RX on the corner to keep them running back in the old days LOL! I like the new innovations and my wife and I finally broke down and bought a couple of smart phones about 6 months ago. What gets me are the monthly rates they charge to be on the Internet computer, smart phone, TV Satallite, Car Radio, etc. The new stuff digs into your monthly income just to run it! I resist as long as I can...same with my music LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Not inclined to dive into the link, but I will try to answer the question as posed.

While I'm often arguing in favor of seeking new sounds, and new ideas, I tend to look for what serves me best, and that results in a mix of 'Old' and 'New'. There's a vast difference between seeking novelty for its own sake, and looking for a new tool, a new Instrument, a piece of tech, that serves you better in terms of something you really need, or will use.

This past year, my wife and I bought the very first television either of us had ever bought in our adult lives; we'd always had used tv's passed down from folks who bought the newest models. Finally, we broke down and bought a new one, and honestly, we've enjoyed it, but we bought it because we needed to, not because we wanted one.

I'll very often wait on a new piece of gear until I see how it holds up in the market, and IRL. I've seen plenty of "new" tech that went into the trash heap, 8-track players, ZIP drives, you can probably make your own list of "orphan" gear. SynthAxxe, anyone? ARP Avatar? Not everything new is better, and new or old, if something doesn't serve your needs, in Music or day-to-day life, what good is it? Some of the things that serve me best are old, in more than one sense.

My Jeep is nearly 20 years old, and it is as stripped-down as any model can be. If I could afford a brand-new car, I'd drop a new engine in the old Jeep, instead.

My gardening tools are all hand tools; a bunch of 19th Century farmers would recognize anything in my tool kit, although the plastic handles on some things might seem odd to them.

My favorite solid-body Electric is still the Gibson SG, which hasn't changed much in nearly 60 years, but I also have a pair of Synth Access Guitars, and a recent model 8-string.

While I have a few current Synths, some of my favorites, and some of my most versatile Synths, are older models that I bought used, like my Korg Wavestation SR and my Alesis QS8. I spent $300 total for both of them.

Again, if I had the money to run out and buy whatever, newness isn't a high qualifier for me, but function is. Better is better. Just one old guy's opinion . . .

thats well said, a good list of examples.

I am on the same page with cars and TV's.

I have a 2008 Honda CR-V. 98,000 Miles.

A Panasonic 39" High Def and Blu-ray DVD

from 2003.

I can buy a new car anytime.

A new larger TV is easily obtainable for under $500

But why should I ? Is that money smartly spend ?

Do I need to impress my neighbors and friends

with ' new shiney ' stuff ?

My answer is NO.

I will keep my hard earned $ stashed in investments.

Personal choice, yes.

We live in a new sub division, lots of new homes and homes

5 yrs old ( we have been here 4 yrs]

75% of the home owners are 30 somethings, having babies,

grinding out a living, etc.

These are the folks slamming away at " Gotta have new " all the time.

My neighbor renews his lease on his GM car. within months , 10 neighbors

all do the same.

Another neighbor buys a 60" Samsung for his man-cave. Within

2 months, 5 more neighbors do the same.

Thats their priority.

My priority is different- for me its " utility'.

My old CR-V is perfect. My 39" panasonic

and Blu-ray streams perfectly.

I am interested in new sound programming for my Kronos.

But thats relative peanut$ compared to a new car/new TV.

Even so, the new sounds have to pass a test- result in new songs.

I am in an older educated/informed demographic, at 66, so that might explain

my skepticism with the article and the author's assertions

[70's Songwriter]

Couple points...

Let's recognize that 'new" here really means new to you, not something that's necessarily truly new.

There are some times when ppl definitely seek the new.

As I mentioned, this happens w/the young when they're focused on learning or with those who have an avid interest in a new subject.

That stays active w/some number of ppl as they age.

Another example (& this is more along the lines of inborn tendencies the article hints at) is in species reproduction activities.

It would seem that artists would be more inclined than the many to seek the new since creativity is related to innovation. However we all know examples of artists who's work is mostly repeating the same thing, even if they once seemed innovative...& some never even had that in their bg. :rolleyes:

Personally, even aft all these yrs, I'm stunned by how many are disinclined to even investigate what they don't know.

I strongly suspect that in a world less advanced than our's today, they be laying by the wayside.

What would we be playing if no one investigated the new ?

An old stick w/ string on it in stead of a Strat, I reckon !

[video:youtube]

What would jazz or even rock music be like if nobody tried something new ? That's even the title of the most aptly named record by The Beatles !

The real essence of life IS evolution, ain't it ?

Isn't how we got anywhere as a species by ppl trying to understand something new ?

d=halfnote

Couple points...

Let's recognize that 'new" here really means new to you, not something that's necessarily truly new.

There are some times when ppl definitely seek the new.

As I mentioned, this happens w/the young when they're focused on learning or with those who have an avid interest in a new subject.

That stays active w/some number of ppl as they age.

Another example (& this is more along the lines of inborn tendencies the article hints at) is in species reproduction activities.

It would seem that artists would be more inclined than the many to seek the new since creativity is related to innovation. However we all know examples of artists who's work is mostly repeating the same thing, even if they once seemed innovative...& some never even had that in their bg. :rolleyes:

Personally, even aft all these yrs, I'm stunned by how many are disinclined to even investigate what they don't know.

I strongly suspect that in a world less advanced than our's today, they be laying by the wayside.

What would we be playing if no one investigated the new ?

An old stick w/ string on it in stead of a Strat, I reckon !

we are now having an extended context discussion of evaluating where ' new ' is perfectly ok vs where ' new' might be seen as heightened consumerism.

Both points appear opposing. In fact they are equally true.

New music is perfectly ok. Cultures. countries advancing based on better education is of course, to be encouraged. Advancing medical care with new researched techniques, is of course, ok and to be supported.

I made my context point about tech cos , certain industries pushing the ' new' because simply, new products are all about profit.

I think its beneficial to a consumer to not quickly buy into ' new is better ' mentality.

Selecting a well maintained 2 yr old car has better utility than a 2020 model, for example.

Just an example, not a perfect rule.

I think critical thinking is preferable to 'impulse ' thinking, especially with expensive longer life products. Thus my disagreement with the authors 1st sentence.

[70's Songwriter]

I wouldn't mind building up a "new" digital audio workstation from a real capable laptop or a desktop unit. The software load would be a full day at least, since I have to put on every version of Sonar that I own for the discontinued "extras" that appeared on each offering which are invaluable to my mixes which are very many and all include those extras. I have the audio the interface I need and I have a lot of hardware outboard gear for compression and de-essing etc., to tame the stuff before it hits the interface.....

When you finish w/that project, DBM, get in touch w/me & guide me through the same thing, OK ?!

That's where I think my 2nd life as a muso is headed.

Much more compact than carrying amps, rebuilding a tape studio, etc.

d=halfnote

When you finish w/that project, DBM, get in touch w/me & guide me through the same thing, OK ?!

That's where I think my 2nd life as a muso is headed.

Much more compact than carrying amps, rebuilding a tape studio, etc.

I will let you know when and if it ever happens amigo. I once had a tape studio myself I built it during the mid 1980's and used it until the late 80's when I moved to Florida. Shortly after that, I up and sold the gear for half of what I paid for it. Last I heard of them my 2 decks, a 16 track Otari and an Otari Half Track with dolby SR both full sized, and a Tac Scorpion Console 24x16 went from Philly to Las Vegas. I also had 24 synths and samplers and about 12 pieces of Compressors and related input and mixdown hardware effects units. Hundred and fifty grand when purchased, and later on when I got into digital, I spent 3 grand to get a much easier and more capable system.

When it comes to food, effects pedals, gadgets and super hero movies, yes. Sky diving, skin diving, and most other forms of diving (with the possible exception of dumpster), bit coin and crazy women, not so much.

Guess I'm too old.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I naturally always look for new (to me) stuff... I'm one of those people who gets bummed when I have to return home after a vacation or even a string of gigs on the road, not that I don't miss my wife and kid...

There's some music I hope to never have to hear again, though it is music I love. I just know it too well and it no longer does anything for me.

Rare is it that I can watch a film over and over...

Sitting in my comfy office all day - as I'm doing now - is something I know I shouldn't complain about... I do graphic design for a living, can listen to music and podcast or watch TV in my own office while doing it in air conditioning... yet, my personality craves novelty so it kind of bums me out.

I would say from my observation and application that most people crave the illusion of choice and novelty... they want to know they could have different stuff, then once they're assured of that they want the same thing they're comfortable with... it's why Netflix and Amazon have to spend millions making exclusive original shows to lure subscribers, but once people subscribe they actually watch "Freinds" and old sitcoms much much much more than that fancy new content.

I would say from my observation and application that most people crave the illusion of choice and novelty... they want to know they could have different stuff, then once they're assured of that they want the same thing they're comfortable with...

Re-issues, retro designs, even old company names being bought up and (ostensibly) brought back to life, by new companies. Boss' Waza Craft series, Dunlop's MXR pedals, Ibanez' -9 line, Supro Guitars and Amps, everything old is new again, and again, so long as somebody is buying.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

:o

Does that mean we might see a return of KAY, STELLA and TEISCO guitars?

;)

Whitefang

@Whitefang - check out Eastwood Guitars - if anybody is going to bring back the classic cheap-o Guitars of our youth, Eastwood will do it.

Eastwood Guitars

I would say from my observation and application that most people crave the illusion of choice and novelty... they want to know they could have different stuff, then once they're assured of that they want the same thing they're comfortable with...

Re-issues, retro designs, even old company names being bought up and (ostensibly) brought back to life, by new companies. Boss' Waza Craft series, Dunlop's MXR pedals, Ibanez' -9 line, Supro Guitars and Amps, everything old is new again, and again, so long as somebody is buying.

there has been a huge resurgence in duplicating certain analog keyboards/synths into the digital domain. Been going on for 10 years , give or take.

It may have helped reduce the price of the digitized product. Lots of buyers are nostalgic/sentimental about synths they owned in the 70's/80's where the preserved analog version is scarce and stupid expensive.

[70's Songwriter]

I still have my 88key Kurzweil that is gathering dust as I haven't been playing keyboard for about 10 years or more now. It has a great digital piano, touch sensitive and 10 note poly (if that term is still used). My old Analog Roland Juno 60 was one I wish I had not sold. The strings, horns, bass and organ sounds were just great and warmer than the digital versions IMHO. It had fewer keys (66 I think? and about 7 note poly?)...anyway, the difference reminds me of keeping the old Fender tube amps alive over the solid state amps. Just a great warm and clean sound...+1 some of the old pedals are still preferred over the newer effects... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

;)

Whitefang

As someone mentioned, Teisco tribute models are made by Eastwood, but I believe the brand still exists in Japan.

Kay was back in production recently... http://www.kayvintagereissue.com/

I'm not sure about Stella... but what is going on is that an entity - often Guitar Center - will buy the name and rights to the designs of a dormant company from whoever owns them and then outsource production to China or Vietnam or Korea...

I will also add that IME&O these re-issues are much better and better-made instruments than the originals and more useful, though a great many disagree...

;)

Whitefang

Danelectro, for instance.

Yep, an early brand that was revived, probably because someone noticed Jerry Jones selling a lot of upscale versions of them. I've always had "original" Danelectros available to me... I actually gigged a couple of times using the bass on an old bass+guitar Dano double-neck... the reissues are more serviceable, IMO... especially when they decided "to hell with vintage correctness" and put adjustable bridges on them.

;)

Whitefang

As someone mentioned, Teisco tribute models are made by Eastwood, but I believe the brand still exists in Japan.

Kay was back in production recently... http://www.kayvintagereissue.com/

I'm not sure about Stella... but what is going on is that an entity - often Guitar Center - will buy the name and rights to the designs of a dormant company from whoever owns them and then outsource production to China or Vietnam or Korea...

I will also add that IME&O these re-issues are much better and better-made instruments than the originals and more useful, though a great many disagree...

Yes on Kay = http://www.fritzbrothersguitars.com/kay-guitars.htm

...but we've gone from seeking the new to seeking the retro...unless the Kay dept is making something diff, which seems to be so but only in terms of profit.

Chk this info from the site...

Roger Fritz, a bass player was so enamored with the sound of the Kay Electric Pro that he developed a clone and made them under the Fritz name. His love for this instrument came about from a chance recommendation from a friend that Roger Fritz try playing one.

Roger Fritz, a professional Luthier created a company, Fritz Guitars in the forests of Northern California, fresh from working with Gibson in Nashville on their bluegrass instruments. He made hand made instruments for professional players and stars like George Harrison and Randy Jackson.

Roger Fritz was the missing link that was needed to make the project a reality, a Luthier that had a love for the instruments to be produced. Roger joined our team in early 2007 to help create and develop all the parts and features that made the Kay products different from all the rest.

Finding the vintage parts was difficult and expensive, needing to search stores, E-Bay and collectors to find perfect originals to begin the process. This was an expensive task, the current price of a good vintage Jazz Special Bass is over $7,000.00.

I guess some are seeking new ways to waste money. :facepalm:

d=halfnote

Archived