Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai MP11SE vs VPC1

Imagine

A couple days ago, I purchased the MP11SE. I called a few places in LA, but no one had it available to play. So I took another chance (as some of you know the Nord Piano 4 didn't work out), and purchased it from Sweetwater. By the way, if you want excellent service, Derek Senestraro is the person to call.

This keyboard weighs a ton. Definitely need two or three people to carry it. If you play live and you don't have help, good luck.

I didn't want to remove the VPC just yet until I played the MP. Man, was I excited to feel the action and as I suspected, the MP action is lighter than the VPC. Not saying the VPC isn't playable, but I need a keyboard where I can play piano and orchestral instruments, ex: timpani's and other hard hitting percussive sounds as well as drums. The key return is plenty fast for me. I know others prefer a faster key return for percussion instruments, but this is perfect for my needs. Kawai really outdid themselves. The wooden keys are fantastic and the keyboard is rock solid. Feels like my old trusty S90, but modern with realistic key action. Having tried a whole slew of key-beds, this is really second to none.

The internal sounds are also pretty good. Even better than I expected.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, then, there is two keyboards that are second to none and they are both from Kawai....At the end, Kawai did a great job!!!!
Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

A while back (4 years ago), I did a video that helped people decide between a Kawai MP11 and VPC1. While the MP11se is the successor to the MP11, the following video still applies in helping people decide:

Whatever you decide, you really can't go wrong with either unit as Kawai has the best piano action (IMHO) of any of the current manufacturers.

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

I really loved the action on the MP11 I tried. I saw a great deal on one on Guitar center used, hemmed around a bit and *poof* it was gone.

My mid-90s Studiologic controller at long last has an issue...a key with what is very likely a dirty contact. I may "accidentally" screw it up by opening it up and trying to fix it :D Just kidding, old buddy....I paid like 100 bucks for the thing used in 1995 or so, has a good action (or at least one I'm used to) so I'll try to repair it in good faith!

I know a guy who gigs in a rock band with a VPC1. He said he liked the action. I found it an odd choice given what we all know is out there.

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

Fatar plays a big roll when it comes to key-beds when it comes to synths and stage pianos. I tried the Nord Piano 4 last week and didn't like it at all. Something I never do, I went to Guitar Center and tried every keyboard available and they all have this odd clunky action. I don't understand it. The only keybed I liked was the Yamaha P-45. But if you want a fantastic action, go for the MP11SE or VPC1.

Of course key - action is all subjective, but the Kawai's just feel right.

I dont think anything beats the action on a Kawai MP. I have the MP 7. My only complaint is how heavy it is and I know the MP 11 is much worsebut lets face it the heavier the board the better it feels to play. The MPs are built like a tank. I often wished they made a 73 key version.

I'd certainly consider the MP11SE for the house if it had the internal speakers. In this small office/bedroom, I simply don't have space for dedicated DP studio monitors on stands. ;)

Hard to argue that it's not the most realistic feeling acoustic piano action currently available in a stage piano. And with the improved samples, I prefer it over the MP11, the little I've played it.

Dean, sorry the NP4 didn't work out... :(

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

My friend pretty much has owned every weighted 88 board that is currently out there. He says the MP11 has the best action of anything he has tried. Only reason he doesn't gig with it regularly is the weight.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

What else is out there? ;)

:wave: Very happy VPC1 owner here. I use it to drive PianoTeq & Ivory II, really makes the Steingraeber sing!. I think the action is excellent, not quite MP11 but that's to be expected. But I would never drag it out to a gig, studio only for me.

Excellent value and it's never given me a lick of trouble.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

I know a guy who gigs in a rock band with a VPC1. He said he liked the action. I found it an odd choice given what we all know is out there.

What else is out there? ;)

The weight, which is 65 lbs, would be an issue for me, and I wonder about the road worthiness of something that I think was designed to be stationary, not as a gigging keyboard. But I understand your position

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

Archived