Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mainstage 3.4 issue... or is there a better forum?

Bill Spencer

If there's a better or more proper place for this lemme know, but the issue is:

Since the MS 3.4 update, many of the Patches in my Concert don't sound until I (in Edit Mode) click on the VI's channel strip.

Affects about half my patches, didn't yet bother to note which VIs they are.

Subsequent save doesn't fix it.

????

thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill,

There is a known issue with that behavior for many people. Are these by any chance multitimbral channel strips? That's usually where your problem comes up.

Despite my reporting of some success in another 3.4 thread here, I have finally reverted back to 3.3.2, and all issues went away.

With 3.4, once I got the issues solved, another would pop up.

I got tired of it, so until 3.4.1 comes out, and proves to be stable, I'm staying with 3.3.2 which is flawless for me.

Thankfully I had 3.3.2 in my Time Machine backup.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Roll back as David suggested. I had similar issues when I imported my MS 2 concerts into MS 3. Typically these issues do not occur with newly created concerts in the current version, but that is cold comfort for those like me who have multiple complex concerts that I do not want to invest time in rebuilding.

It seems clear that the underlying concert structure code has been enhanced but not yet optimised.

Apple will fix it but it might take several dot point updates before it gets to be rock stable as 3.3.2 is for me.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Now 3.4 is doing some strange things for me too. As for rolling back, how is that done exactly? Can I do it via the apple store or do I need a time machine backup?

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

went back to 3.3 and everything is working as before: 15% load compared to 40-50% in 3.4.

Easy to do:

goto application

Enter Timemachine, go back to end of september. double click mainstage 3

restore, wait a few minutes...

Opening a project from 3.4 works, it asks to load it although it is from 3.4.

Worked for me.

Mainstage is great, but updating is a real PITA....

hope this helps others

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

I don't have a recent time machine backup, so I'll sit tight until Apple comes out with the some fixes.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

So far, apart from the studio instruments which promised more than they delivered, 3.4 has been working like a champ for me on High Sierra. Tested it in various ways, but you guys are scaring the %$@% out of me. :eek::rolleyes:

In a good way?

Gig tonight. Fingers crossed. :idk

Hey Jerry.

As I mentioned in the other thread as well, I, too, seemed to solve the issue once I reloaded 3.4 and got rid of the new studio instruments.

I had 3 successful gigs, and then the poltergeists arrived.

I would get random sound cut out to the point I had to restart Mainstage.

Then the issue that many talk about finally hit mine: layout items becoming inaccessible.

The worst was during a gig, it stopped passing sound to the output channels. it was registering on my screen meters, but that was it.

Again, restarted Mainstage. On my gig computer, MS is the only thing I run. I don't go online except to download any VST updates from Arturia or PianoTeq.

It then was stable for a couple gigs again. Then right back to the random bad behavior. Nothing at all in my concerts changed between good gigs and bad gigs. Same set lists, same controllers, and so forth.

My main gig computer is a Mid 2012 MBP 13" 2.9ghz 16GBram, 1TB of SSD (2 Samsung EVO 850 500gb)

Thinking it might possibly be connected to the older Macbook, I loaded the identical concerts on my Late 2016 MBP. The same issue would pop up.

Running High Sierra or the new Mojave made no difference.

I think I need to go work for Apple in the pro audio development team :)

Moving back to 3.2.2 fixed every issue I was having.

David

The worst was during a gig, it stopped passing sound to the output channels. it was registering on my screen meters, but that was it.

Exact same happened to me in the middle of a gig this past weekend. MIDI in was registering, but no audio. I quit MS and relaunched. Still no audio. Then I restarted. Same. Finally, I did complete shutdown and when it came back up audio was back again. This, while the band is playing. An eternity.

New problem: Today I decided to downgrade to 3.3.2. I launched Time Machine, located MS 3.3.2 and hit Restore. When it prompted about keeping both or replacing I chose Replace. It seemed to work fine. I verified that MS in Applications folder was now 3.3.2. Opening a concert gave the prompt: "The Concert could not be opened, because it was created with a newer version of MainStage." The choices were Don't Open or Open. I chose Open. The concert file loaded in and I saw the individual patch names flashing by. But when the file completed opening only the Concert patch was displaying. All the Sets and Patches were gone--even though they appeared to load. This concert file was the one that went bad on me at the gig. I tried opening an earlier concert and it opened normally, albeit with the expected "newer version of MS" warning. Any ideas?

I should mention, as I tried opening different concert files after the 3.3.2 downgrade, MainStage would randomly crash with the Apple crash report screen. This new unstable condition is worse than the 3.4 audio quitting, as shutting down seems to "fix" that. I decided to go back to 3.4, which at least doesn't crash like 3.3.2 now does. No gigs for a couple weeks so I can keep testing.

bq:

When I reverted back to 3.2.2, I had some oddness happen.

I ended up removing 3.4 THEN bringing in 3.2.2 from Time Machine.

Installed fine.

I did get the warning message, and chose OPEN.

Everything was there.

If you had anything created in 3.4 that is specific to 3.4 (studio horns/strings, the new effects, new retro synth filters) that might cause the issue you have.

I have reverted on my gig rig and back up Macbook pro and everything works.

David

YMMV, but good news. 3.4 was rock solid last night. Two relatively complex concerts with 3rd party plugins, loops, sequences, etc. One good experience doesn't prove anything of course.

I'll have a few weeks to retool and rethink. I love MS. :love:

Well, I'm going to take the plunge with 3.4 and program 10 songs for a rehearsal coming up on the 17th (Genesis tribute) - hope it works! :)

Archived