Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Consensus on table style stands

ksoper

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one is a bit heavy (23 lbs) but easy to fold and move and has been a workhorse for years for me, comes with a 2nd tier if you want it! Very solid base, most of the weight is there and it's rock steady! Very Solid!

Quik-Lok M-91 Monolith:

61YB7q0uJnL._SX425_.jpg

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I used to have tables, and they worked fine. Only thing is, they were kind of a drag to setup and break down. Compared to an X or Z stand they're a lot slower to setup. Once you get used to a column, you can setup a column faster than a table too, but those are slower. But I was never able to get very fast with the table, and you spend way too much time with it upside down putting the legs in the right place.

Though that new K&M looks like it would be pretty slick. Never-the-less, I'm absolutely addicted to my Spider.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I mentioned that, while I love my K&M stand, I often bring a different stand that is easier to collapse. This is the stand I was referring to.

Takes about 10 seconds to fold and unfold. It's not nearly as sturdy as the Omega, but is fine when I just need one keyboard and want to minimize the schlep factor.

https://on-stage.com/products/view/11650

o8xjegyqobhz8ce6ykgr.jpg

I think that you're doing it wrong! To break mine down, I slide out the two legs, turn them 90 degrees, and slide them back in again. This allows the stand to lie in the boot (trunk) of my medium sized car on top of all the other gear. Takes about 30 seconds!

Yes I know, still the upper arms that support the keyboard have to be unscrewed /rescrewed removing and reassembling small parts that are easily lost. And still even if it finally folds flat, it's bigger than any other stand (actually, bigger than any other piece of equipment in my van, keyboard included!).

Again, it's not difficult and it doesn't take hours, but as part of a small and quick setup/teardown rig, it's less practical than most other stands.

Ah! I leave the keyboard supporting arms attached, it's much quicker, and I find it doesn't take up THAT much extra space.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

^ Yep, that's the one I have. I've found it's sturdy enough for most gigs. It gets a little dicey when you're on risers and the horn section decides to start jumping, but hey, what can you do...

Right. I'd hesitate to rely on that stand in more vigorous situations, but it's great for the quickie, cocktail-hour type gig, when only a light rig is needed. Nothing I've found sets up or breaks down faster.

Consensus on table style stand

....apparently, no.

But at least it's been narrowed down to Quick-Loc, K&M, On-Stage, and Gator, which rules out all of the brands that don't exist.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I bought one of these. A word of warning to anyone else who did - don't lose the screws. The local hardware store couldn't find a replacement and said my best bet was to have the holes re-tapped. Assuming the helpful hardware man was right, why would a company do this?

I bought one of these. A word of warning to anyone else who did - don't lose the screws. The local hardware store couldn't find a replacement and said my best bet was to have the holes re-tapped. Assuming the helpful hardware man was right, why would a company do this?

Your hardware man is incompetent. Those screws are metric. Find a better store that stocks them.

Since I no longer alter the width/height of my K&M, I opted for allen head screws and locked them down tight.

On occasion a manufacturer may source some specialized custom fasteners, but usually they are an ASTM standard, available somewhere. I frequent an industrial supply business that has/can get just about anything.

On occasion a manufacturer may source some specialized custom fasteners, but usually they are an ASTM standard, available somewhere. I frequent an industrial supply business that has/can get just about anything.

Fastenal is in just about every major city and can get (and probably stocks) just about any fastener you would ever need.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It's not the schlep factor, or the folding, it's the height adjustment that's a pain. With standard table stands, you have to make 4 leg adjustments each time you setup and break down. Most other kinds of stands, once you figure out your standard settings, you can make adjustments to get back to that really quickly. Table stands never get any faster to setup.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

It's not the schlep factor, or the folding, it's the height adjustment that's a pain. With standard table stands, you have to make 4 leg adjustments each time you setup and break down. Most other kinds of stands, once you figure out your standard settings, you can make adjustments to get back to that really quickly. Table stands never get any faster to setup.
One of the reasons I like the Gator Frameworks stand is that the height adjustment uses those spring-loaded knobs that pop through the pre-set holes. (What do you call those things anyway?). So I unfold the legs, pull them out to the setting that I like, and the buttons snap into place and hold the stand at the height I know I want. Takes a few seconds.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

...it's the height adjustment that's a pain. With standard table stands, you have to make 4 leg adjustments each time you setup and break down.

Table stands never get any faster to setup.

I always leave my 18950 set at the same height, which is ok for playing standing or on a high stool.

To setup/teardown, I just have to fold the legs. Quicker than an X-stand.

Just sharing an experience I had with an OnStage KS7150. Someone leaned up against the side of my keyboard once, and the stand nearly collapsed. I was able to stop the impending collapse, but I stopped using the stand after that.

I know it is not so much the fault of the stand as it was the musician who thoughtlessly leaned up against my keyboard, but in tight stage spaces, this can happen. I think it is because the legs are designed to to fold up under the table top, but this design may not be able to withstand force from the side without the legs folding under.

+1 on the K&M 18950 being the bulletproof option. Mine has seen heavy touring use over the last two years (bouncing around in a semi in a carpet-lined case for about 30k miles total, sometimes getting handled by local stagehands, etc.) and has held up very well. I did design the hardware case for the tour specifically to allow it (and a KS7150 I brought for a spare) to ride flat, which I believe helps avoid undue fatigue on the joints.

I've use the On-Stage KS7150 for about seven years now for gigs and tours where I'm handling my own gear. Its lighter weight means I can fly with it, plus a folding bench and a couple other bits and bobs in a Pelican Air 1615, with the whole package coming in under 50lbs, which occasionally comes in handy for self-contained one-keyboard fly dates where there's not enough budget to rent anything. I've posted before here about a slight adaptation of the famous "tonysounds" WS-550 mod that I've used for a nice tight two-tier setup with a Nord Stage 2 above various slab pianos (Yamaha P95, Kawai ES110). That setup is still working great, though it requires a little light woodworking to put together.

Re: susceptibility of the KS7150 to collapse when encountering significant sideways forces (e.g. leaning bandmates), I always use it seated at the lowest height, and am always careful to pull the legs as far apart as they'll go once my board is set on it. It feels fairly stable to me even with rather hamfisted organ glisses on the top manual. More thoughts on the KS7150 at the above link. I still feel the same way about it.

I always leave my 18950 set at the same height, which is ok for playing standing or on a high stool.

To setup/teardown, I just have to fold the legs. Quicker than an X-stand.

That's cool. Most tables I've used won't fold up with the legs extended. I've always seen this as an unfortunate design limitation. Glad at least someone figured out how to get around this.

I mentioned that, while I love my K&M stand, I often bring a different stand that is easier to collapse. This is the stand I was referring to.

Takes about 10 seconds to fold and unfold. It's not nearly as sturdy as the Omega, but is fine when I just need one keyboard and want to minimize the schlep factor.

https://on-stage.com/products/view/11650

o8xjegyqobhz8ce6ykgr.jpg

Thats what Ive been using for single keyboard gigs for 8 years now. Easy and sturdy, plus you can transport them on a Rock n Roller-type convertible hand truck vertically, as the legs clear each side. Advice: use some medium grip thread lock on the screw-in feet. Normal car vibration loosens them.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/496103-REG/On_Stage_KS7150_KS7150_Platform_Style_Keyboard.html?sts=pi

You can add a second tier:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/331600-REG/On_Stage_KSA7500_KSA7500_Universal_Second_Tier.html/pageID/accessory

Or you can add a microphone mount, like I do, but not both:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1120079-REG/on_stage_ksa7575_u_mount_mic_attch_bar.html/pageID/accessory

$14 is pretty cheap.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Anyone using the Omega in the studio, semi permanently?

Looking for a table top solution for my Mini-Korg...

This probably doesn't help you, but I'm 'preparing' to start using mine. I'm re-doing my setup, switching to one - 88 key board. I like the attachment for the mic, and use it for my music stand on another gig (that I don't sing and need a stand).

Like I said before, I changed the knobs out with bigger, round knobs, that eliminate the need for washers and are easier to spin on and off (and since they are cheap, I bought a couple of extras, just in case...). It takes me a couple of min to change from 'stow-able' to setup.

I use this one at home. It's lightweight, adjustable, setup/teardown is super quick, and when I'm not using it, it hangs on a bracket on the wall. Downside is that it's only single tier.

blue-homz-ironing-boards-4750209-64_1000.jpg

Dan

Someone leaned up against the side of my keyboard once, and the stand nearly collapsed.

Ever had a dancer back into your mic stand and drive a 58 into your teeth? Good times.

No but I've had a dancer goose me while I was singing into a 58. The whole place heard me...

I use this one at home. It's lightweight, adjustable, setup/teardown is super quick, and when I'm not using it, it hangs on a bracket on the wall. Downside is that it's only single tier.

blue-homz-ironing-boards-4750209-64_1000.jpg

Big advantage gigging on the road! If it fails there is a spare in your hotel room! :cool:

Archived