Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

quatre-mains/four handed piano pieces

RudyS

My girlfriend also plays piano and I've started to play a four handed piece with her (This fuge from Schubert :

).

Do you have some nice suggestions on quatre-main pieces. Doesn't really have to be classical music. Preferably not too difficult (you can use the schubert fuge as a reference), so it doesn't require too much practicing. Just for fun. Even better if there are people who can share some sheet music. Thanks.

Rudy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ravel's Adagio Assai from Piano Concerto in G. One of the most beautiful pieces ever written. Readily available as a 4 hand reduction, I have it.

tried to sent you a PM, but your reached your "private topic limit".

Rudy

Thank you for posting, don't have specific sheet music, but duet books used to be a thing and there was a section in the music book store for them. I think you'll find a ton if you look at used books.

My mom and I used to do the Schubert marches together as well as a bunch of "light classical" greatest hits, which many people would recognize and enjoy. Your post brought back some fond memories. Thank you.

Scott Joplin is fun if you can find some of the four-handed books. There is also a Pictures at an Exhibition four handed version. These are a little more serious than the "light classical" stuff where you could just sight read your way through a book and have some fun.

I might consider this 'light classical': This book isn't beginner level but also isn't really advanced. I have it and have found it to be a blast to play with others. None of the pieces are terribly long and each part is rather simple when you compare it to solo works of the same composers.

Schirmer Classical Duets

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Bobby's is a great example.I have a Schirmer Rach 2 for four hands that I haven't yet cracked. Alfred Music Publishing house is another source. They organize by level. (beginner, intermediate, etc.) A few of their books turned up on this Amazon search. If you are hanging with musicians, it can be fun to have a variety of duet books around to serve different moods and gatherings.

• 1 month later...
Ravel's Adagio Assai from Piano Concerto in G. One of the most beautiful pieces ever written. Readily available as a 4 hand reduction, I have it.

tried to sent you a PM, but your reached your "private topic limit".

Sorry, try again. I did some housecleaning.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Thanks again Bobby. I'm having a real good time playing these pieces with my girlfriend!

Awesome. Funny coincidence you just recalled this thread - I was looking at that book yesterday for inspiration. I have a 14 year old student who has to play a Christmas duet with a kid at school and we are arranging 'What Child Is This' for 4 hands right now. We are having so much fun, it's the first time I've seen her inspired in ages.

I love that book. Check out the Kuhlau piece it has some of the coolest harmonic surprises in the whole book.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

On the less casual side, there is always the 4-hands piano version of Stravinskys RITE OF SPRING, although it seems to be more commonly and easily performed as a two piano work.

DOVER EDITION

it actually works musically, even though you lose the tone colors of all the different instruments. Stravinsky originally played it himself with Debussy: Superteam.

Some of the suggested pieces are very demanding... I'm suggesting Satie's "Trois morceaux en forme de poire". I have played them in concert many years ago, and they are rather easy and rather witty. (there are really "seven" pieces in this collection! Welcome to Satie's surrealistic humor...)

Another classic of classics is Debussy's "Ma Mere l'Oye". Beautiful, dreaming, and not difficult to play.

Archived