Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gigging, steady low pay vs one offs higher pay

re Pete

Years of teaching myself blues, jazz, classical, country, pop on numerous instruments by wearing out the grooves on my LPs, wearing out the rewind and play buttons on cheap cassette players, shrieking in frustration at poorly transcribed sheet music, etc.

Still not connecting the dots of your beating self up.

How does a YT 5 min listening equal 1000's of hours of the way you struggled ?

Sorry, I am dense, I guess.

I really wasn't saying anything particularly profound. Just remarking on the wealth of tools available online these days for the aspiring musician versus the limited resources available pre-personal computer in the 1960s and 70s. As far as beating myself up, I have a stubborn streak - this was especially true when I was younger - and I had/have a tendency to obsess over details and worry the problem to death until I'm satisfied with the result.

So you are something of a perfectionist ? I think that attention to detail is one of the marks of developed musicianship.

And so the tools of today, aid a wanna be musician, how exactly?

Not many tools, you are forced to adapt, which can have a strengthening effect ( affect )?

I know a middle aged pianist who only had vinyl in order to painstakingly transcribe directly from his ear/memory to the piano.

He is one hell of a musician.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you are something of a perfectionist ? I think that attention to detail is one of the marks of developed musicianship.

Not many tools, you are forced to adapt, which can have a strengthening effect ( affect )?

I know a middle aged pianist who only had vinyl in order to painstakingly transcribe directly from his ear/memory to the piano.

He is one hell of a musician.

I take your point - and agree with it actually - that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and that hard won skills and chops will generally build a stronger all around player. As to the tools available today to aid an up and coming musician, they are too numerous to count. Let's say a young kid hears stairway to heaven for want of a better example, and decides he'd like to play it for his peeps. I'm guessing that there would be somewhere north of a million* hits on Google with everything from step by step guitar tutorials, to home brew kits to make your amp sound like Jimmy Page's. Then once you get the hang of the basic tune, plug the original into amazing slowdowner and practice the inflections and nuance along with Led Zep, feed the result into a DAW to spit out transcribed score, guitar tabs, and MIDI tracks, and on and on. Then flashback 40 years to the 1970s me trying to cop Keith Emerson's take on Pictures at an Exhibition and you start to see the difference in time commitment I was talking about. Trying not to sound like "Goddamn kids have it too easy these days, why when I was learning to play rock and roll I had to ...", but the difference is pretty significant.

* 24 million as it turns out...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I find the ability to slow down some passages (even via YouTube) to be extremely helpful when trying to figure them out. I don't know whether using this type of tool inhibits budding musicianship. On the other hand, it might even help.

I find the ability to slow down some passages (even via YouTube) to be extremely helpful when trying to figure them out. I don't know whether using this type of tool inhibits budding musicianship. On the other hand, it might even help.

Ok, you are right. I use amazing slow downer

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived