Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Very OT - I AM A SURVIVOR!!!!

Eric Iverson

Well, I admit I haven't achieved all of my artistic goals yet, but I AM A SURVIVOR!! (Must be, or I wouldn't be alive to type this note.)

Some of the things I have survived:

1. Y2K

2. The disco era

3. The grunge era

4. The decline and fall of the guitar hero (the ones who actually play the guitar well....)

5. The demise of my first rock band at age 16 (me, not the band.)

6. Second hand smoke

7. The mysterious disappearance of my gerbil at age 6 (me, not the gerbil). The cops didn't even CARE. They made up some BS about having to print up a Missing Gerbil Report, and that they didn't have a rodentologist on staff. If I remember correctly.

I have also survived many other traumatic experiences, qualifying me as ONE TOUGH COOKIE!!

So what traumatic experiences have YOU tough cookies survived??

PS If you haven't survived them, disregard this letter, or pass it on to someone else.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woodstock........... :cheers:

Surfing Seaside Reef in Solana Beach Ca double overhead breaking from top to the flats sitting in the line up and my feet touch the reef. (which means if I fall on the takeoff it is major injury or death).....

All the free love in the late 1960's. Never caught anything :2thu:

At least 20 to 30 drives overland back and forth from California to/from New Jersey (usually made it in less than three eighteen hour days with me only driving)

My radical lesbian girlfriend (That is her self description) (late 70's) Funny, I could not get her to go out with me to pick up chicks. For some reason that made her jealous. I thought it was a great idea....

And the most horrifying, I was a union bricklayer. Surviving bricklayer foremen (which are little more than gorillas with anger issues). Lifting about 10,800 lbs of concrete block daily with my left hand. Now that made me into a tough cookie.

Well, I admit I haven't achieved all of my artistic goals yet, but I AM A SURVIVOR!! (Must be, or I wouldn't be alive to type this note.)

Some of the things I have survived:

1. Y2K

2. The disco era

3. The grunge era

4. The decline and fall of the guitar hero (the ones who actually play the guitar well....)

5. The demise of my first rock band at age 16 (me, not the band.)

6. Second hand smoke

7. The mysterious disappearance of my gerbil at age 6 (me, not the gerbil). The cops didn't even CARE. They made up some BS about having to print up a Missing Gerbil Report, and that they didn't have a rodentologist on staff. If I remember correctly.

I have also survived many other traumatic experiences, qualifying me as ONE TOUGH COOKIE!!

So what traumatic experiences have YOU tough cookies survived??

PS If you haven't survived them, disregard this letter, or pass it on to someone else.

Pretty much on par with your list there, Eric. But I can only add;

Dealing with the WAYNE COUNTY, MI FRIEND OF THE COURT. An entity that one need FAIL an intelligence test in order to obtain employment. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Well, I'll pass on detailing my travails here but there've been some.

I'd also question the severity of a couple listed in yer OP, Eric,...

"Y2K as a thing to've survived" ? / I thought it was a hyped non-event :idk

"The fall of real gtr players" ? We've been discussing that here a bit recently.

[https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2940773/gonew/1/Is_The_Guitar_World_Dead_hi#UNREAD]

Again a hyped non-event, to me & at least some others.

There are many highly skilled players around & coming up.

The thing is, though, that for a certain age group or personality type The Olden Daze remain The Only Daze & new music can't get in their door.

I've never viewed you as suffering that attitude, dude.

I do wish we'd hear from you more regularly. Yer a smart, insightful cat.

:snax:

I bet Skip's got a few comments on survival from this year & we're hoping to hear a survival story from one of our newest members, Surf Girl.

d=halfnote

I have survived things that, based on the 5th amendment to the U.S. Constitution, I cannot mention on the grounds that they would tend to incriminate me :D

Furthermore, since this year is basically 75% finished, I would rather save anything else for the year-end wrapup post in December. Frankly, so far very little of this year lends itself to humor.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

A few come to mind...

- 22+ years in the US Air Force

- Multiple combat zone tours

- Collapsed lung

- Woodstock '94

- Slayer pits

- Pantera pits

- Many other pits

- Those circumstances known and unknown to me where God intervened... past, present, and future! :2thu:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Ive had:

1) at least one loaded uzi pointed at me by a nervous border guard, safety off- understandably, I just focused on the one in front of me, so I dont have a count beyond 1.

2) heat stroke

3) hypothermia

4) a faceoff with an angry rattlesnake less than a foot from my head (Thank you, Blake for getting help!)

5) severe, life threatening anaphylaxis

6) a wreck that totaled my car (middle car of a hit and run chain reaction accident)

7) a near drowning at the hands of someone clowning around

...yes, I AM part cat!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Survival is the name of the game for us grunts in Vietnam...I'll leave the rest of the stories to your imagination... :cool:

Escaped that myself but knew some that went.

Their photos were uglier than any that made print back here.

Glad you made it back & put yer soul into music, LarZ !

:wave:

That's a salute, not just a wave, Buddy.

d=halfnote

Put my hand through a window, cutting my wrist, at age 4.

Lived through Typhoon Karen, the worst storm to ever hit the island of Guam.

(Look it up on Wikipedia)

Survived high school and jr high in a small town in Arkansas(much much more of a trick than it sounds like)

Survived two branches of the military

Survived marriage to a psycho

And the most difficult one:

Survived 65 years of my own stupidity

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Survived driving home drunk many times as a teenager.

Survived almost drowning while being pulled underwater on an inner tube.

Survived being shot at (he missed).

Survived almost having my arm bitten off by an alligator while I was trying to stab it in the head with a bowie knife.

Survived blacking out and falling face first onto a concrete ledge. I'm still not sure why I didn't die from that one.

Survived a 45 mph car crash (the airbag did more damage to me than the crash).

Survived a nuisance lawsuit that cost me almost everything I had (my business, all my money, some longtime friends, hope and ambition, etc.)

Survived three ex-girlfriends who would have ruined my life if I married any of them.

Other than that, life's been pretty good.

I rock; therefore, I am.

Yeah, well we mostly know the OP was basically done facetiously.

And in that spirit I'll add( and apologize for the politicization):

Two terms of REAGAN, BUSH, and CLINTON.

;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

You guys really ARE survivors, LOL.

Lots of good songs in these posts!

I survived an alligator

Let's talk about it later

I survived a stray bullet

I survived stray politicians

They're all out of control

Can't do nothing about it

That's why I rock'n'roll

As a start. OK, maybe not a GOOD start..... and yes, this is all tongue in cheek, just for fun. I'm not on a CRUSADE here, LOL.

Archived