Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This vintage synth thing is way out of hand

Dave Bryce

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh.

The fact that most modern analog synths (DSI, DeepMind, etc) can make ANY sound these golden oldies can and then some, is kind of sick. I don't even understand the point of having a Moog any more, since Prophets have always been basically a MiniMoog Squared. Yet they're 2/3s the price. Don't get me wrong, Moog is an amazing company, toured their facility in Asheville, it was like going on a pilgrimage. But for shear practicality and sound, a DSI just makes more sense.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Ugh.

The fact that most modern analog synths (DSI, DeepMind, etc) can make ANY sound these golden oldies can and then some, is kind of sick. I don't even understand the point of having a Moog any more, since Prophets have always been basically a MiniMoog Squared. Yet they're 2/3s the price. Don't get me wrong, Moog is an amazing company, toured their facility in Asheville, it was like going on a pilgrimage. But for shear practicality and sound, a DSI just makes more sense.

Clearly no one is paying these figures for the synth capability.

It's collectors, or people looking for nostalgia with huge discretionary budget. (Speaking more about the CS80 and ARP)

You see it on a smaller scale with vintage computers (original Apple) and even calculators. I have to admit spending low three figures on a mint HP41CX on eBay. Brings back good memories of college, working out EE circuit problems using simultaneous equations.

What I wouldn't give for an IBM 360 running WYLBUR/ORVYL to bring up in the garage!

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Ugh.

+1. I was close few times to buy a Moog, not the Voyager or the new "old school" Minimoog but I resisted, for the same price, even cheaper, I have way more with DSi...

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

Ack, you got me there, totally missed the oscillator count, stupid me. I've recently been in more discussions focused on filter type, and know that the prophet used a very similar ladder (if not the same) to the Mini. And otherwise covers all the same ground. But yeah, oscillator number is a biggie, feel stupid for missing that!

I'd still choose one over a mini. And the Prophet 12 has four now. Though I don't know much else about the new DSIs, some of them use digital oscillators with analog filters, some don't, can't keep track.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

It isn't just about the osc count - the components do not sound the same, and their artifacts are handled differently within their respective systems.

IIRC, older Prophet 5s used E-Mu designed SSM chips for the oscs, filters and amps with the later Rev 3 units using Curtis chips for same, where I believe Moog used discrete Moog oscillators, filters and amps for the Mini...so not the same filter...

...and then there's the whole Rev 2 vs Rev 3 Prophet debate... :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Brotha dB nailed the differences between Moog and DSI. :thu:

IMO, the Moog Sub 37 sounded better for bass than my Prophet 6 (P6). Yet, the P6 holds its own in every regard. IOW, I wouldn't trade the P6 for another Moog.

Nor would I pay the ridiculous prices being asked for vintage gear. Sellers are getting over by praying on nostalgia.

The newer gear works just as well especially when it comes to making organized noise. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Clearly no one is paying these figures for the synth capability.

It's collectors, or people looking for nostalgia with huge discretionary budget. (Speaking more about the CS80 and ARP)

You see it on a smaller scale with vintage computers (original Apple) and even calculators. I have to admit spending low three figures on a mint HP41CX on eBay. Brings back good memories of college, working out EE circuit problems using simultaneous equations.

What I wouldn't give for an IBM 360 running WYLBUR/ORVYL to bring up in the garage!

Yes, and speculators have crept into so many areas, hoping to score "big" on one thing or another. The goal is to get a collector or nostalgic person to pay a big premium on something that the speculator already paid too much for (from another speculator). But it seems like it just keeps driving up the price of anything that can be considered at all "rare", thus often driving the actual nostalgic people out of the market. When my kids played with Legos, I learned that people would buy kits and keep them under wraps hoping that eventually they'd be worth something. (Since they can't know which ones in advance, I wondered how many they would have to buy and how much they would need to get for them in order to make it worth it -- talk about a long shot.) There are kits on ebay going for $1000s.

and then there's the whole Rev 2 vs Rev 3 Prophet debate...

I've still got my Rev2. There was and is no debate. It sounded way fatter than the rev3s.

No doubt!

Dave Smith prefers the Rev 3 units, believe it or not. He actually finds the oscillator stability to be a good thing. Go figure...

dB

Granted, some synth enthusiasts never totally abandoned the platform regardless of forays into other KB tech (ROMplers, samplers, workstations, etc.).

However, the real question is how long the most recent synth interest will last before their value tanks again.

In the not to distant future, I can see Reverb and eBay littered with Minibrutes selling for $50. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

... the prophet used a very similar ladder (if not the same) to the Mini.

hmm .... cough ... :rolleyes:

I owned 3 Minimoog D (still own 1) and Prophet 5 rev 2 followed by Prophet 5 rev3.

None of the Prophet´s, even not today´s Prophet-6´s filters sound like a Minimoog D filter,- as well as a Minimoog D filter also doesn´t sound exactly like the MOOG modular filter or the filters of a Memorymoog or MOOG Source.

It obviously makes a difference realizing circuitry in chips or discrete and even between discrete designs there are differences.

It´s not enough just only being a 4-pole ladder.

The functionality is the same, the sound isn´t.

Now, when it comes to gigging, the sound differences become 2nd row and stability, realibility as also preset system and polyphony become the main attraction, but in a studio and for recordings, a Minimoog in good condition is still unique.

And for noodeling it´s too,- but that´s just only me and YMMV.

A.C.

... the prophet used a very similar ladder (if not the same) to the Mini.

hmm .... cough ... :rolleyes:

agreed. :cool:

As much as I love my Prophet 8, owned it for 10 years now, whenever I solo on it I always think it would sound more to my liking were I playing my Moog Voyager.

:nopity:

I think that most (maybe all) people on this forum that own vintage synths are vintage themselves. Personally if I didn't grow up with it why have it? Case in point- a vintage Rhodes, Wurly; I have no doubt that the originals are special, but so are the headaches that go along with them.

I've made a hobby out of keeping what I have working, but it was out of necessity. As much as I enjoy these old beasts I would never encourage anyone to buy them used. Unless of course you have a spare 100K lying around ;) .

I agree that modern analogs are more than capable of re-creating any sound of the vintage synths of yore and are infinitely more flexible beyond that. The CS80 still has the edge just because of the player interface but theres no reason a modern manufacturer couldnt implement something similar.

The Alesia Andromeda is a modern powerhouse. As is the Prophet 12. What else do you need?

I once owned a CS-60. Gigged it a lot way back when. Even though I loved it, I stopped using live @ 1980 - lugged it around to few different homes , played it less and less. FF to 1997, I found the ribbon controller fell into the panel. One oscillator didn't just drift, it would change lanes without a signal. The tolex was kinda ratty. Sold it for $375 and I thought I got away with something. Wonder what a difference 21 years would of made if I held onto it and fixed what I could.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

I agree that modern analogs are more than capable of re-creating any sound of the vintage synths of yore and are infinitely more flexible beyond that. The CS80 still has the edge just because of the player interface but theres no reason a modern manufacturer couldnt implement something similar.

The Alesia Andromeda is a modern powerhouse. As is the Prophet 12. What else do you need?

I'm inclined to agree.

I still have my Mini - will never give that up - but beside that, when it comes to synths I typically use my Andromedas, Poly Evolvers and Pro2.

I sold off my JP8, Chroma, PPG Wave etc years ago -would probably be more inclined to pick up something like a MatrixBrute than a vintage synth.

dB

Seriously, there is only one vintage that I want, the Chroma, because I love the controllability over lead patches. I'll never buy another one because it is too hard to get anything like that worked on. Like others have said, modern synths have caught up in sound. They have also surpassed the vintage synths in reliability.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived