Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Inter-forum collaborations

Dave Bryce

I was just listening to brother Daniel Stecko's latest Abandoned Film record (which is an outstanding piece of work, BTW - highly recommended). The second to last tune has some excellent violin work by fellow forumite David Kempers (Cygnus64).

David has also played on one original tune and one cover tune (Kansas!) for me. I've been privileged to work with several forum members over the years including folks like Marino, Linwood, Steve LeBlanc, Zephonic and Geoff Grace, and am currently working on a track with Steve Nathan. Ridiculous amounts of talent.

So, that got me wondering who else has had the opportunity to collaborate with other forum members? :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had some tracks done by a few long-dormant members of the Lowdown (where I'm still an admin). And I also had tracks recorded for a guy on the long-gone drum forum, but I cannot even remember his forum handle.

Apart from that, I had a beer with ITGITC, and dinner with a bunch of you guys at NAMM. :)

"For instance" is not proof.

... I've been privileged to work with several forum membesr over the years including folks like Marino, Linwood, Steve LeBlanc, Zephonic and Geoff Grace, and am currently working on a track with Steve Nathan. Ridiculous amounts of talent.

Ummm Dave? You're setting that bar REALLY high. :)

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

It was great work with you dB! Besides you...the only other member I've done music with is Mark Zeger. He played on a tune of mine on one of our comp cd's. I always enjoyed those. Anywho...I don't let anything go to waste, so I put in a production music lib. This tune...

[video:youtube]

It was a privilege for Linwood to include me on flugelhorn, and a little bit of synth, on Last Call. Youve all heard Linwoods material. He is a monster on many levels. For any instrument he cant play, he has an insanely deep talent pool to call on. So, truly, it was a privilege. Thanks, Linwood!

I've done a handful of things with Cygnus 64. Best of all, most of them were commissioned projects, so we both made a few bucks. Most recent one was a Visit Indiana TV spot where there was a lady violinist on screen for a split second. I had him play something to match what she did while fitting the music track. The challenge was, we had no source audio, so we couldn't tell what she was playing. Here's the spot:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Well, I'm living on the other side of the pond from most of you... however, over the years, I have exchanged a few instruments and meet several members. About real music collaborations, I can only quote a couple:

1) I've become friend with forum member Alfonso, who doesn't post a lot anymore, but lives 50 km from me. I'm recording at his place tomorrow...

2) Of course, four of us composed and recorded a tune on the spot ad Dave's place, eight or nine years ago.

(pssst, Dave... if you happen to still have that "Midnight in America" song somewhere, I'd love to hear it once again... I know, we left it in a very rough state, but just for the sake of good memories)

Ummm Dave? You're setting that bar REALLY high.

No kidding. Wait to you hear the cats he's got playing with me!

Seriously, I was thrilled and honored when Brotha Dave asked me to participate in a truly cool tune he'd written. Since he's added really tasty guitar from Tim Pierce, soulful bass from Matt Bissonette and sweet Drums from John Ferraro.

Not too shabby company huh :cool:

Just listened to a ruff a few minutes ago. Sounding like a classic Muscle Shoals R&B hit!

(pssst, Dave... if you happen to still have that "Midnight in America" song somewhere, I'd love to hear it once again... I know, we left it in a very rough state, but just for the sake of good memories)

Rough form indeed... :roll:

You asked for it.

dB

Rough form indeed.

You asked for it. :D

Cool! Great playing from everybody and lovely synth leads.

I was thrilled and honored when Brotha Dave asked me to participate in a truly cool tune he'd written.

I feel pretty safe in saying I'm the one who's thrilled and honored...

Since he's added really tasty guitar from Tim Pierce, soulful bass from Matt Bissonette and sweet Drums from John Ferraro.

Not too shabby company huh :cool:

It started out with me not being good enough on the Hammond to get the level of performance I was hearing out of my head for a tune I wrote. Then, I realized I knew someone who was... :D

Brother Steve not only laid down killer organ, but Wurly as well...and a bunch more scratch tracks which transported my overly sentimental pop tune to a place i didn't know it could go.

I was left with no choice but to call on the other brethren to support Dr. Nathan's efforts. Interestingly, it appears as if I will not play a note on a tune that I wrote - definitely a first for me - but instead get to concentrate on production, tracking and mixing.

WAY too much fun. :w00t:

Just listened to a ruff a few minutes ago. Sounding like a classic Muscle Shoals R&B hit!

Yeah, it does! Can't thank you enough for showing me the way!!!!!

For those of you who may be interested, here is said ruff. Y'all are the first to hear it outside those of us working on it. Still needs work, but you'll get the idea.

dB

Rough form indeed... :roll:

Cool! Great playing from everybody and lovely synth leads.

Steve LeBlanc and Menno on lead synth. Carlo tearing it up on piano. Guessing Steve on organ. That must have been a fun time. :thu:

:nopity:

Btw dB I'd be happy to put my ears to work for you when you have a near final mix. It's already sounding pretty damn good so I'm not sure I'll have anything constructive to offer. But I would enjoy giving it my best shot.

Some great music in this thread. I have really enjoyed everything I have listened to. I loved Last Call by Linwood & Mark - excellent track. :) Your video is great McGoo.. the music is perfect. It must be enormous fun to match the music to the pictures like that. Midnight in America is wonderful: Congratulations to everybody involved - some gorgeous playing! (I listened to it more than once). :)
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Btw dB I'd be happy to put my ears to work for you when you have a near final mix. It's already sounding pretty damn good so I'm not sure I'll have anything constructive to offer. But I would enjoy giving it my best shot.

Thx, Marky. I'll post it in the Plugs thread when I'm done collecting tracks.

dB

I guess I should perhaps mention my own collaberation experience. Last year I was involved in the making of a charity music single and was ably assisted by KC's own Murman on bass, and Tezman on guitar. I played all the keys parts. What was incredible was that the band for this project was located in three countries, on three different continents, and in two hemispheres!! Myself in the UK, Murman in the US and Tezman in Australia! For me it was amazing to experience how modern technology shrinks the workd to such an extent that your bandmates can live thousands of miles away. It was also enormous fun to collaberate in this way with such nice & talented guys. :)

The project is to raise money for cancer research UK and everyone involved had had some personal experience of a loved one with cancer (...but sadly, that is no unusual thing these days......)

Here is the video:

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I don't know how I forgot this when I saw this thread, as I had been thinking about it lately, but I laid down some organ for Griffinator a while back on a metal track he was doing with his band. I don't know if he has had the chance to do anything with it.

He used to post here a bit but I haven't seen him on KC for a while.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

... Myself in the UK, Murman in the US and Tezman in Australia! ...

Would have been more appropriate for Tezman, from the land Down Under, to have played bass. :laugh:

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

I don't know how I forgot this when I saw this thread, as I had been thinking about it lately, but I laid down some organ for Griffinator a while back on a metal track he was doing with his band. I don't know if he has had the chance to do anything with it.

He used to post here a bit but I haven't seen him on KC for a while.

The only place I see brother Scott these days is in the KC Fantasy Football league.

dB

"Last Call" is friggin awesome Linwood! Great playing all around, but particularly the bass is killin' me. If that turns out to be you and not a real bass player I'm gonna want to die and come back as you my friend :cool:

It's a common title obviously, but when I was done listening I saw one that I'd played on years ago with that same title and enjoyed hearing her sing again. Lee Ann Womack has been one of the if not the best singer in Country Music for a long time. Thanks for the reminder!

Archived