Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha DBR10 vs. Alto TS310 powered speakers

HSS

I'm considering purchasing a slightly used Yamaha DBR10 or a new Alto TS310 at about the same price for use with my keyboards as a portable lightweight powered speaker for rehearsals and small gigs.

FWIW the manufacturer specs for the speakers are similar with both having two xlr/1/4"combo inputs and max SPL's of 129 dB. The Alto supposedly has much higher peak wattage (2000 vs. 700) and slightly better low F response. Of course I know manufacturer specs are often BS.

The Yamaha DBR10 is a scaled-down economy version of the DXR 10 with good reviews, especially in terms of bang-for-the buck. The Alto TS310 is an improved new higher-powered version of the older Alto TS210's/ 110's which have mixed reviews. I should add that I've never had any experience with Alto speakers.

Opinions about which one I should go for are welcome. Thanks.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks... That's good news, especially about the bass response of the DBR10 because I'm a little paranoid about using 10' speakers when I'm used to running 12' and 15's.

When you said your DBR10 cuts through the mix, are you running stereo or mono? I run mono.

I'm leaning towards the DBR10 because I've had many years of good experience with Yamaha gear even though the Alto TS310's stated specs are slightly better.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I just run mono because I'm lazy lol.

The bass response is way better than I expected given the 10's... that's what sold me more than anything else.

I don't have any problem hearing myself... and we are a typical loud rock band.

My board is an SK1 and I play primarily the organ, AP, EP, and a few horn patches if that helps.

Many thanks for the reassurance Looks like I'm going for the DBR10 which I was leaning towards anyway.

I usually gig with an SK1 and Kurz SP4-7 in mono. We must be kindred spirits. I'm moving more towards light simple gear as I get older and I play in mono because I'm lazy and stereo is often too risky with sound guys and FOH (the KISS principle in combination with a bad knee).

I use the Alto ts308, 8-inchers. LOVE Alto. It's plenty loud enough.
Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

I bought a pair of the Alto TX210 speakers a while back. I was downsizing for my "PA on a stick" gigs from EON G2 15's (The van died and I had to fit all my gear in a Monte Carlo). I paid less than $400 for the pair and I'm shocked at how good they sound. I will say, I wasn't looking for a whole lot of volume or bass thump, but they really do sound nice and clear and put out a decent volume, not to mention I can carry them both in one arm...

I have the Alto 8's, and they serve wonderfully as side fill monitors on stage. Bandmates are surprised/impressed by them. I also have the Alto 12's (two generations back) at home. I've used them as a PA in a club, including running bass through them, and they filled the whole room nicely. I strongly suspect that the new 300-series is even nicer.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Thanks guys... I went ahead and picked up a 3 month old mint condition Yamaha DBR10 with a carry bag yesterday afternoon for a good price ($275). It still had the stickers on its front grill.

After reading your comments about Alto's, which I've never played through, I may pick up a couple Alto 8's or 10's in the future. They seem to offer a lot of bang-for-the buck.

Archived