Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electro synth samples

3rdAct

So on to my question (and some context)

I use a Nord Electro 5D 73 for a one-board rig, and play mainly AP, EP, B3, clav. Occasionally Im asked to cover synth leads and pads (and actually just about anything else). What Id like to be able to do is load up the 5D with a palette of synth samples that would allow me to produce what I need when I need it. Now, given the 5Ds limited sample capabilities, I know this isnt without challenges. The good news, however, is that I won't be trying to get exact matches to the original sounds. Id be okay with something close enough for the general listener not to notice a difference during a gig, even if it couldnt survive an A/B test (I know, not ideal, but one step at a time.).

OK, so the thing is, although I get the basics of synthesis, I have no actual experience here. I have no idea what would go into such a palette. The Nord site has a fairly large number of samples, especially if you include the legacy stuff (which includes Nord Lead, ARP, Moog, Prophet, etc.). Plus, I assume there are also third-party samples one could buy and download to the 5D. All with a nearly infinite number of varieties (like a paint store). For someone with barely any experience with a synth, its quite overwhelming! So Im looking for any ideas on an approach I can use to assemble this palette of basic synth leads and pads that could get me through the night. Would it be based on certain classic synths? Certain waveforms? Related to the time period of the song?

Although I fear that what Im suggesting might be wishful thinking, I hope theres something reasonable I can do. Thanks for listening.

Joe

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing to do is go through all of the onboard synth sounds in the 5D.

Some semblance of the types of synth sounds rquired may already be in there. If not, they may be offered to download from the Nord website.

The downside is that it does not appear the 5D allows for much tweaking of the synth sounds from the front panel.

Otherwise, I hope the 5D either already has the handful of synth sounds needed and/or ability to import them. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Nord site has a fairly large number of samples, especially if you include the legacy stuff (which includes Nord Lead, ARP, Moog, Prophet, etc.).

Keep in mind that an ARP or a Moog is capable of countless sounds. Nord only has a tiny smattering, though you should be able to find some of the really common ones there. They will still be very limited in usage, as the Nord has no monophonic mode, no glide/portamento, no pitch bend, no filter sweep or LFO/modulation except maybe if something happens to be baked into the sample.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Maybe start by heading over to the Nord web site and auditioning all the synth samples that are there? After that, the Nord User Forum, where you'll find hundreds more.

As above, very little you can do to modulate the sample being played. That being said, more than acceptable for everyday pads and the occasional lead line. I use them routinely, but don't have to lean on them that often.

And the price is right, e.g. free given you already have the Electro.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Thank you for your replies. Yes the Electro is very limited in terms of both synth sound generation and playability (no one will be using the Electro to cover synths in an ELP tribute band!). I think I could live with this for my current purposes, as the synths won't be out front, but more in a supporting role.

The samples already on board are limited, so I'll start pulling some off the Nord site. Under Sound Libraries, it looks like I could use the Library 2.0 and the Library Archive samples. The Archive has probably up to a gigabyte of just synth samples alone, and you can't hear them all, just some samples (so to speak). Does anyone have any experience with the Archive Samples? Are they good in general? Any particularly useful? Thanks

The only way to do it is to go thru the sounds in there- use the Nord Sound Manager and then it'll give you the sound names. I deleted what I knew I'd never use and loaded it up with things that would be useful.

There are many banks available on the Nord site, categorized so you can easily find what you want. Also on the Nord user forum there is a patch exchange spot where you might be able to find more specific sounds.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Sounds like a plan. Thanks all!

Good luck! Hope it will work out.

Of course I cant look into your wallet, but I honestly think you will have more fun in an ELP band with at least a virtual analog (VA) synth to accompany your electro. There are a lot of options that doesnt necessarly have to cost thousands of dollars.

Rudy

Another option which I use frequently is to sample my softsynths, two or three notes per octave, throw it into the Nord Sample Manager and generate my own. That is, of course, assuming that you have some VST synths at home.

I find it infinitely more convenient to audition sounds in my DAW and then choose the good usable ones to send to .nsmp and into my board than to download Nord's potentially unsuitable offerings and audition them on my synth.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

But no modulation wheel or pitch bend without a second controller. For what you describe, I use a Nord Lead 2X with my Electro. You can get them used for $800-900 which is a good deal I think. Whatever you decide, good luck and best wishes.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

Sorry for the confusion -- my comment about no one using an Electro in an ELP band was meant just to highlight the keyboard's significant synth limitations. It's not my plan to do so.

Sorry, I misread your post! Ill use the excuse that im not a native speaker. Truth is im just a lousy reader in any language...

Have fun with the electro. I just sold mine. I think I might regret it.

Rudy

Another option which I use frequently is to sample my softsynths, two or three notes per octave, throw it into the Nord Sample Manager and generate my own. That is, of course, assuming that you have some VST synths at home.

I find it infinitely more convenient to audition sounds in my DAW and then choose the good usable ones to send to .nsmp and into my board than to download Nord's potentially unsuitable offerings and audition them on my synth.

Although I don't have any synth software at the moment (or much experience with synths), I like this approach. I'll keep it in mind for if/when I find the Nord samples insufficient. Thanks.

Whatever you decide, good luck and best wishes.

Thanks!

Sorry, I misread your post! Ill use the excuse that im not a native speaker. Truth is im just a lousy reader in any language...

All good -- I'm not even going to try Dutch!

Currently experimenting with an iPAd to cover synt duties with an electro 4D. If you use the camerakit for midi and the electro connected to the audio in and use headphones out from the electro you have a quite smooth rig. If you then run all midi through the ipad and back to the electro you can layer split sounds whatever way you wan't between the ipad and the internal nord engine.

Currently experimenting with an iPAd to cover synt duties with an electro 4D. If you use the camerakit for midi and the electro connected to the audio in and use headphones out from the electro you have a quite smooth rig. If you then run all midi through the ipad and back to the electro you can layer split sounds whatever way you wan't between the ipad and the internal nord engine.

Interesting... I didn't know about the camera kit (had to look it up), but found it to be a good option for connecting to an iPad. But I want to confirm your audio path. The iPad audio goes into the Electro Monitor input? Then you use the Electro's headphone out to take the sound to a PA, FOH, etc?

Exactly, that way you dont need an audio interface or an extra output. I use iMidipatchbay to setup sounds.

Interesting... I didn't know about the camera kit (had to look it up), but found it to be a good option for connecting to an iPad. But I want to confirm your audio path. The iPad audio goes into the Electro Monitor input? Then you use the Electro's headphone out to take the sound to a PA, FOH, etc?

Archived