Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strange digital distortion with my Hammond SK2

Jefsong

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem with their SK series Hammond. I have taken it in to my repair shop and was told the motherboard needed to be replaced.

The repair shop told me that it still is occurring even with the new motherboard installed. They believe that it is a software issue and that the output is too hot and possibly distorting the opamps. At this point they are waiting to hear back from Suzuki as they have also been able to replicate the problem. At high volume levels and high treble the distortion is even more noticeable.

Motif Classic 88, S90ES, Hammond Sk2, GSI Dmc-122, Fender Rhodes 73 Suitcase, Wurlitzer 200A, Hammond B3 + 122 Leslie

www.jeffreybryanmusic.com

Keyboardist for Survivor

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. It's affected by volume and gain. At very low levels the problem doesn't occur.

Motif Classic 88, S90ES, Hammond Sk2, GSI Dmc-122, Fender Rhodes 73 Suitcase, Wurlitzer 200A, Hammond B3 + 122 Leslie

Keyboardist for Survivor

No, It's not that. I already had the motherboard replaced and it still occurs. The repair guy thinks it's Hammond's own software. That's why I posted here to see if anyone was having this issue.

Keyboardist for Survivor

I used to own an XK1-C. Don't anymore but I have some vague memory that you can turn the patch level parameter up too much and get internal distortion.

See if you can find a patch volume param and try turning it down a bit. Does that get rid of it? If so, you need to modify and resave your patches.

Moe

---

I always run the master volume at 50%. I'll check the patch volume as you suggested and see if that has any effect. Thanks.

Keyboardist for Survivor

In addition to the Master Equalizer on the Control Panel (Pg. 27) there are separate Organ and Extra Voice Equalizers and a Master Turnover Frequency Equalizer (Pg. 100). The Master EQ is a live adjustment only. The Organ and EV Equalizers are patch adjustments so are saved when the Patch is saved. The Master Turnover Frequency EQ is a Global Adjustment so the values are automatically recorded as they are selected. All EQ adjustments on both pages have the following note: The sound may distort if gains are raised too high. Adjust accordingly.

Page 100 has notes that explain the Middle and Turnover frequency adjustments and their use.

It can be hard to generate a high velocity value on the SK keyboards without really smacking the keys. This can cause some of the EVs to sound somewhat lifeless and dull since the attack and other velocity dependent harmonics don't get produced very much if at all. I think this causes people to crank up the treble to compensate. Hammond added a Velocity Offset Parameter (Pg. 81 #25) in one of the early OS updates to allow the musician to adjust the velocity value generation to their style of playing. This makes a huge difference in the sound of the EVs (IMO). I found that I usually generated a value in the mid-80s when I hit the keys hard. I adjusted the VO to where I could generate a value of 127 with little effort and still generate a low value when I wanted to. It made a big difference in how the EVs sound.

Additional Info: The Velocity Curve (Pg. 77 #7) is in addition to the VO adjustment, they work in tandem.

Archived