Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Galileo II, updated iOS tonewheel software

Bobby Simons

The original Galileo has been the only realistic iOS Hammond option - unexpectedly good. I'm assuming this could even be better. Also, it is now universal.

Warning: Yonac makes great instruments, yet are notoriously clueless as to how to present them. Watch this at your own peril, if you didn't know Galileo you'd have little idea of the potential. . .

[video:youtube]

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Warning: Yonac makes great instruments, yet are notoriously clueless as to how to present them. Watch this at your own peril, if you didn't know Galileo you'd have little idea of the potential. . .

I concur; I watched that video, and thought "they've taken a step back from Galileo to this..."

Somehow I doubt that's the case, because I've bought every single one of their offerings and have not been disappointed with any of them. I have no doubt this will be similarly brilliant, in spite of the video above. ;)

These are the comments from Yonac, for those not watching the video on YouTube:

"A modern classic reenvisioned! The best organ on iOS just got even better in the form of an all-new, universal app. New modeling technology for even more realistic tones, more organ models, more FX, more parameters, more customization, more of everything. Extensive MIDI features, Inter App Audio, and yes, glorious AUv3.

Landing in the App Store on June 20th."

Still not thrilled with the rotary effect.....too phasey compared to the Garage Band Hammond. I do like the new layout and presets, but Id rather use my Lester K downstream.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Thanks for the heads up.

I have the first version, so will likely upgrade. It's an incredible app for organ tweakers - so many options just to control the sound of the Leslie.

However, I would like to hear some demos with more of a Jimmy Smith 'Root Down' or early Meters vibe - that's the sound I need.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Still sounds like a Gulbranson.

Had to web-search...is this what you mean?

Ellen Gulbranson (4 March 1863 2 January 1947) was a Swedish operatic soprano with a strong, dramatic voice best suited to the works of Richard Wagner.

Still not thrilled with the rotary effect.....too phasey compared to the Garage Band Hammond. I do like the new layout and presets, but Id rather use my Lester K downstream.

Jake

Did you purchase the expansion, which is where the new Leslie sim is? If not, its more than likely the same sim as version 1.

Ellen Gulbranson (4 March 1863 2 January 1947) was a Swedish operatic soprano with a strong, dramatic voice best suited to the works of Richard Wagner.

Nope - they were an organ maker.

Link

Link

The problem was the spelling... Gulbransen, not Gulbranson.

Link

Sarcasm is quite challenging to subtly convey in text. However there are many Galileo presets that are very Wagneresque. :laugh:

Jake

Did you purchase the expansion, which is where the new Leslie sim is? If not, its more than likely the same sim as version 1.

How much is the expansion?

Can't seem to find it....

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Thanks for the heads up! Just purchased.

Curious, it wasnt offered as an in-app upgrade within the original. But thats fine, the $6.99 price is half off the full price and includes half of their in-app Organ Essentials bundle that goes for $4.99. A tremendous bargain no matter how you look at it!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

So is everyone agreeing that this is a substantial improvement over the original? And where are people most noticing the improvements (or any lack thereof)? i.e. basic tone? percussion? C/V? leakage? key click? rotary effect? overdrive?

From my minimal playing with the original, I found it to be a good usable clonewheel substitute if I didn't have one elsewhere in my rig, but I don't think I'd have rated it as good as even the "second tier" clonewheel hardware like Kronos or VR09. I wonder if I'd feel differently about the upgrade. (In fact, sonically, I actually liked the Garageband organ better than Galileo, but it lacked hardware drawbar mapping or MIDI channel assignment.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Well I haven't AB'd them but after playing it for around 30 mins I'd say it's the same underlying organ engine. The models are the same "Clean", "Loved", "Used" etc. The Percussion is still going through the CV - which is the same as version 1 - despite the fact I emailed them about that when I bought Galileo about 2 years ago. The front end is cooler but I would still prefer to have big drawbars and other controls and ditch the keyboards - unless I've missed something. The ability to add extra Yonac FX is a plus - so you could add the 2122 which may be a better alternative.

I always felt the GB keys (organ, Ep and Clav) were pretty good because they seemed to be stripped down versions from Logic.

One thing that is nice for those that need it is that Galileo supports two manuals and pedals from an iOS device. I think Garageband's organ is only one manual from an iOS device (but two from MacOS GarageBand).

Jake

How much is the expansion?

Can't seem to find it....

Last button top right corner......Store. I bought the works for 5 bucks.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

UI is vastly improved. However, full screen mode is in the settings menu, now. I really dig how the new registration buttons are actual displays of the drawbar settings!

Only got to dink around a bit at band rehearsal last night, but found a preset in the Blues/Jazz bank called Hunchback. That one is a great starting point for me. Still need to slightly tweak many params for my tastes. Nice key click and improved overdrive to my ears from what I can tell so far.

Yeah, that flew right over my head... sorry.

Link

Sarcasm is quite challenging to subtly convey in text. However there are many Galileo presets that are very Wagneresque. :laugh:

I am not too impressed considering the alternatives... but for $7?

For those who remember the early VR clones, can you imagine this coming onto the market back then? $7?

So what is better/worse than the original?

1. The drawbar preset indicators are cool.

2. Leslie sim still sucks.

3. Better overdrive, but you have to pay $5 more all the amp sims. Saying that... I splurged. The Marshall overdrive alone is worth $5!

4. Percussion is pretty bad...

5. C3 sounds too warbly... C2 not too bad.

6. Tone engine sounds good. Don't know if this is an improvement from the original.

7. Cool Ring Modulator

So for $7 bucks... BUY IT.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I haven't upgraded yet, but was interested to note that there is a better Leslie sim available with an in-app payment.

Are there any comparisons of the old/new Leslie?

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Not bad at all. I keep waiting to see someone appear on stage playing four or five iPads in a semi-circle. Several of the apps that have appeared in the last year or so have been scary-good, so it seems inevitable. Its certainly a high-wire act, but no more so than a Jarre stack or a live set of Eurorack madness.

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

UI is vastly improved. However, full screen mode is in the settings menu, now. I really dig how the new registration buttons are actual displays of the drawbar settings!

Nice key click and improved overdrive to my ears from what I can tell so far.

Hmmmm..... am curious about the UI improvements. Yes, registration buttons are super cool, useful. However Im a bit at a loss over whats been done with the rest of the UI and would appreciate everyones feedback on it and as well as sonic improvements.

Ive got both the original and now the II. Ive never been much of an organ guy, but with the UI of the original i dove in and found it very relatable, knowing enuf to make a lot of tweaks on existing programs. I found the original very user friendly, most of the settings could be accessed from one screen in full screen mode, with the bottom most part of the screen able to access Arps/FX 1&2/Prefs/Tape. For me it worked very well.

This new UI is throwing me for a loop. Full screen mode is not a simple toggle now, and even in full screen mode theres only 2 panes of control, not 3 like the original. And within the new full screen mode youre limited to working with two pages of organ controls (plus the draw bars), instead of easy access to almost all parameters.

And the fx, while theres more to choose from, now they take up a lot of screen real estate even when they are just a few controls.. I liked the fx as they were setup before, fewer choices compared to what was is on offer now, but fixed panes of pre-grouped fx makes it faster and simpler. I can understand why Yonac did this, they can sell new fx in their store, but for me its a high price to pay. They could have kept the original UI and instead of FX 1&2, youd buy FX 3&4 as pre-configured blocks so that it was optimized for the ipad screen like the original was.

So... obviously i prefer the UI of the original, so Im wondering if you think the sonic improvements of the new version makes up for these new UI shortcomings? I very well might stick with the original.

Randy

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Archived