Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In on a CP4...

keyguy

I have searched for ideas to no avail. My band has to cover this for a 50th class reunion. I have tried different sounds on my CP4 and haven't hit the right combination to cover the horns/strings and other weird parts. I don't expect it to be perfect, just not awful. The other alternative is to play the parts on my SK-1. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jim, I'm a CP4 owner and fan, but I just don't think you're going to get these particular original-song-mimic sounds out of it. I'm very happy with the CP4's sounds for it's main pianos, excellent acoustic bass, 4 or 5 of the EPs, a couple strings and a couple pads for subtle layering - but, to my ears, it falls short in all sounds beyond those. I guess it's all about perspective though, in that I feel the CP4 is a great value for its action, portability and the quality of the sounds that I DO like from it.

Inferring from your post that a SK-1 will be in place along with your CP4 and that you're not going to have any other keyboards there (something like the MX49 would be very handy in this instance), FWIW, I would use a ballsy SK-1 organ setting coupled with a phased EP layered with one of the rock APs on the CP4 for those chorus accents, and sell it with a peace sign and a smile. :)

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / Nord S4 88, S3 88, S3Compact, S3 76

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KS212s / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112s MB115 MB210s Neo410

Moe, I think from around 3:14 to end is what the OP is talking about; in my memory, I remembered it being more pronounced than in this video:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPK7ZF6jfJE

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / Nord S4 88, S3 88, S3Compact, S3 76

Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

Rent a keyboard with better sounds in those areas for the gig? Korg Kross, Yamaha MOXF, etc?

Or, if you have n iPad, grab SampleTank Free or Korg Module and trigger the sounds from that.

Rent a keyboard with better sounds in those areas for the gig? Korg Kross, Yamaha MOXF, etc?

Or, if you have n iPad, grab SampleTank Free or Korg Module and trigger the sounds from that.

Thanks!

I have an iPad. Never thought about that. Any preferred MIDI interface?

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Hi Jim, I'm a CP4 owner and fan, but I just don't think you're going to get these particular original-song-mimic sounds out of it. I'm very happy with the CP4's sounds for it's main pianos, excellent acoustic bass, 4 or 5 of the EPs, a couple strings and a couple pads for subtle layering - but, to my ears, it falls short in all sounds beyond those. I guess it's all about perspective though, in that I feel the CP4 is a great value for its action, portability and the quality of the sounds that I DO like from it.

Inferring from your post that a SK-1 will be in place along with your CP4 and that you're not going to have any other keyboards there (something like the MX49 would be very handy in this instance), FWIW, I would use a ballsy SK-1 organ setting coupled with a phased EP layered with one of the rock APs on the CP4 for those chorus accents, and sell it with a peace sign and a smile. :)

I am happy with the CP4, for sure.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

. . .

Thanks!

I have an iPad. Never thought about that. Any preferred MIDI interface?

You can grab a camera connection adapter from your preferred retailer and run iPad apps via your CP4's USB port.

You can grab a camera connection adapter from your preferred retailer and run iPad apps via your CP4's USB port.

^ This.

Make sure you get the legit Apple unit, like RickP linked above, because cheap knockoffs are consistently inconsistent/flaky where USB-MIDI is concerned. Save yourself the headache and just get the real deal.

(...he says, knowing full well that someone will come along with an apocryphal tale of the $0.99 adapter they got off Amazon that works "perfectly"... for them.)

Or adding a cheap rack unit. Korg, Yamaha, Roland. Lots of choices for good deals on older racks.

Now there's an idea...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

One song for one gig ... I wouldn't spend any money on hardware in an effort to do a bad imitation of the original orchestration.

Work up a piano arrangement based around cool voicings. Maybe something that bounces between some 2nd inversion iii/4 and sus2/3.... put some of those old Steely Dan covers to use. Maybe you can throw some spread Mu chords in there.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'm sure that made no sense. I think in terms of slash chords meet the Nashville number system.... Hillbilly Pig Latin theory.

One song for one gig ... I wouldn't spend any money on hardware in an effort to do a bad imitation of the original orchestration.

Right? He's already got an iPad, a Camera Connection Kit is useful beyond just this specific application, and a free app. Not sure why any other course of action is easier than this... ?

I would still do a slick piano part. Channel some inner Rubalcaba. That would be cooler.

I'm going to give the iPad idea a try. Headed to Best Buy for the official camera kit. We have no Apple store here...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

I'm going to give the iPad idea a try. Headed to Best Buy for the official camera kit. We have no Apple store here...

Sounds good. One word of caution though, especially if youre on a tight timeframe and expecting to simply use a 1/8 trs patch cable to run the iPad into your CP4s 1/8 aux in; if you do, there will be no joy in Mudville, only a nasty ground loop. Youll need to find something like this or this to feed it into your mixer (or stereo volume pedal if you want volume control in the iPads signal chain).

Sounds good. One word of caution though, especially if youre on a tight timeframe and expecting to simply use a 1/8 trs patch cable to run the iPad into your CP4s 1/8 aux in; if you do, there will be no joy in Mudville, only a nasty ground loop. Youll need to find something like this or this to feed it into your mixer (or stereo volume pedal if you want volume control in the iPads signal chain).

3 week timeframe, and I already have the patch cables. I actually never considered running the iPad output through the CP4. Thanks for all of the advice!

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

I have searched for ideas to no avail. My band has to cover this for a 50th class reunion. I have tried different sounds on my CP4 and haven't hit the right combination to cover the horns/strings and other weird parts. I don't expect it to be perfect, just not awful. The other alternative is to play the parts on my SK-1. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

For the horns, you might get by with the Yamaha factory CP4 Performance named "RichBrass1" (#23 in the original factory Performance line-up), or create your own version of it. It's a combination of:

Main Part: BRS:09:BrassSect1

Layer Part: BRS:12:MellowBr1

Mike

Archived