Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

IK Multimedia Leslie collection now released

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the difference between AmpliTube and T-RackS?

Will the Leslie sim run in an iPad, or is it strictly Mac/Windows?

I wonder how much latency could be an issue if you wanted to perform live with a clonewheel run through this Leslie sim, especially considering all the glissandos and other "high speed" maneuvers that can come into play in organ playing.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm totally blown away from this, judging from the demos only. I can imagine the results after tweaking the parameters to my liking.

Gear: Nord Stage 3 76HP, Moog Little Phatty Stage II, Hammond XK5, Solina String Ensemble

My Bands: Aperco, Ummagumma, Amity Band

iOS version please!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I got this last night in the T-Racks 5 version.

Wow.... even just playing around a bit, it is fantastic.

Testing it with Mainstage B3.

I turn off the Leslie sim in B3, and run it thru the IK Leslie.

So far it is the best software Leslie sim I've ever used/heard.

Good stuff

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

ISo far it is the best software Leslie sim I've ever used/heard.

What about hardware (short of actual moving speakers)?

Also, does this do the overdrive as well? Or would you use something else for that?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Can this be used with a clonewheel somehow? Or just software emulators?

Of course. You need an audio interface for your computer, take the audio out from the keyboard into the interface, then inside the software route the signal through the Leslie and out to the outputs on the interface and into your amp.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Can this be used with a clonewheel somehow? Or just software emulators?

Of course. You need an audio interface for your computer, take the audio out from the keyboard into the interface, then inside the software route the signal through the Leslie and out to the outputs on the interface and into your amp.

Bob

Sounds good if you want to bring a computer to your gig to serve as an effects unit! I think this Leslie is designed more for software organs. Not to mention there will be round-trip latency  not latency just on the output, like with a VI Hammond.

It was asked if a hardware keyboard can use this and the answer is yes. Whether a person wants to or not is a different question and latency is not an issue if everything is set up correctly.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

It was asked if a hardware keyboard can use this and the answer is yes. Whether a person wants to or not is a different question and latency is not an issue if everything is set up correctly.

Bob

Exactly. In my Mainstage setup, there are a couple sounds I use from my PX5S, running thru Bluecat Chorus plug in. I am sure there is some latency, but I work a long time to get it setup and if there is, it is imperceptible to my ears, and my band mates never think I am behind them, timing wise.

David

ISo far it is the best software Leslie sim I've ever used/heard.

What about hardware (short of actual moving speakers)?

Also, does this do the overdrive as well? Or would you use something else for that?

It sounds better than my Lester K. I can't compare it to Vent or MiniVent. I've never had those.

Overdrive? Yes, the Gain control let's you overdrive the amp, before you adjust the separate volume control. Plus, separate controls for horn and rum volume, frequency adjustments, and so forth.

David

Do you need to have Amplitube installed to run this, or, is it a "standalone" effect VST that doesn't require anything else to be installed? It wasn't clear from the website description.

Thank you.

Did anyone answer this question, perhaps I missed it?

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Yes you answered the question, although I might take issue with the idea that latency wont be an issue if everything is set up correctly. What do you mean by that? I presume a powerful computer that can get the buffer small enough to avoid any feeling of lag as you play. I believe its quite possible for someone used to a hardware keyboard to notice a difference if theyre suddenly playing that same exact keyboard and patch through a computer that adds even a small amount of latency which it definitely will in this case, since the Leslie is an insert effect, not a send effect. I only wanted to add my opinion that this concept might be a little impractical. However, if this new Leslie plugin is so great that connecting a computer, booting and loading a software setup, cabling an audio interface, and dealing with the additional latency which will definitely result is not bothersome, then go for it!

Exactly. In my Mainstage setup, there are a couple sounds I use from my PX5S, running thru Bluecat Chorus plug in. I am sure there is some latency, but I work a long time to get it setup and if there is, it is imperceptible to my ears, and my band mates never think I am behind them, timing wise.

You mention your Mainstage setup so you're already playing a virtual rig and have a computer setup. I was commenting on the utility of adding a computer-based virtual rig to a hardware-only setup solely for using this Leslie effect. But once again on the subject of latencies, I would chuck any virtual rig in the river before a bandmate hears me playing behind them due to latency issues! Uncomfortable latencies are in the milliseconds range, and are perceptible to the player, not anyone else. A musician that naturally plays behind or on top of the beat is going to be off, timing-wise, much more than could be accounted for by software latencies. Actually it's being "off" that accounts for feel but that's another thread I think.

Do you need to have Amplitube installed to run this, or, is it a "standalone" effect VST that doesn't require anything else to be installed? It wasn't clear from the website description.

Thank you.

Did anyone answer this question, perhaps I missed it?

It is not standalone. It is a module that runs in either Amplitude or T-Racks.

You need one or the other, and you need to purchase the version that goes with your IK program. They are offering an Amplitude, a T-Racks, and a combination version right now.

David

You mention your Mainstage setup so you're already playing a virtual rig and have a computer setup. I was commenting on the utility of adding a computer-based virtual rig to a hardware-only setup solely for using this Leslie effect. But once again on the subject of latencies, I would chuck any virtual rig in the river before a bandmate hears me playing behind them due to latency issues! Uncomfortable latencies are in the milliseconds range, and are perceptible to the player, not anyone else. A musician that naturally plays behind or on top of the beat is going to be off, timing-wise, much more than could be accounted for by software latencies. Actually it's being "off" that accounts for feel but that's another thread I think.

In what you describe, my setup has no perceived latency by me, the player.

In my setup I use a Focusrite 18i20 2nd gen. It is my audio interface and my mixer since it is designed to work as both.

Yes I already have the setup, so that makes it easy. Any effects I use on hardware boards come from Mainstage.

Anyway, back to the new IK Leslie sim. I am loving it.

I am getting ready to test it with my VR-09 to see how it works with that "clonewheel"

David

I have it. It's amazing. The best Leslie sim I've heard, hands down. More later...

Looking forward to comparisons IK's Leslie sim with:

VB3 and its Leslie sim;

B-5 and its Leslie sim;

Blue 3 and its Leslie Sim;

Logic Vintage B3 and its Leslie Sim;

All of the above with:

Melba's Rotory Sims; and

PSP's L'otary; and

UVI's rotary sim.

Guess then we will an idea of how much IK have improved on these existing software Leslie Sims.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

It is not standalone. It is a module that runs in either Amplitude or T-Racks.

Damn, I guess I'll pass. That makes the cost 3 times what I paid for the VB3 I'd use it on.

Bobby, I think the T-Track CS is free. Then you just buy the modules you want.

I upgraded my T-Rack CS awhile ago for other reasons.

Again, as far as I can tell the basic T-Racks is still free.

No need to spend $299 to be able to spend $99 on the Leslie sim.

David

This might be helpful, though it still seems confusing to me:

http://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?t=14883