Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blue Collar Man - Styx

midinut

Anyone playing this? Or have played it in the past. A new project I'm working with has it on my list of things to learn. The music is not a problem but I'm not happy with the organ sound I'm using. I've got my organ clone set to 888708008 and distortion is up about 8 out of 10. It's close but is just off enough to make me ask for help. Any suggestions?

Also. This band has only one guitar so I'm comping the chords that the rhythm guitar is playing behind Tommy Shaw's parts. I'm using the same organ without the distortion and I switch patches when I need the growl. Just curious how you guys would do it if you were me. Fun tune.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Considering Dennis had no idea what settings they used in the studio on the DDL I'll just experiment with it. Maybe start with a short slapback?

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

It's close but is just off enough to make me ask for help. Any suggestions?

I used to play this when it was fresh in 1978 with a Farfisa VIP 400 through a Leslie 145. If you are close with what you have now, were it me, it would be OK with it. :cool:

:nopity:

Considering Dennis had no idea what settings they used in the studio on the DDL I'll just experiment with it. Maybe start with a short slapback?

I ended up layering 2 CX3 patches in my Kronos, obviously distorted Leslie patch, slapback with a lot of tweaking, and EQ. Never exactly got it, but probably close enough for most people

Cell phone video one of the first few times we played it:

[video:youtube]K6srr3lN4BA

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I ended up layering 2 CX3 patches in my Kronos, obviously distorted Leslie patch, slapback with a lot of tweaking, and EQ. Never exactly got it, but probably close enough for most people

Cell phone video one of the first few times we played it:

[video:youtube]K6srr3lN4BA

Dan, that sounds great...both the organ sound and the vocals. It's a high damn song to sing, but you pulled it off well!

Dan, that sounds great...both the organ sound and the vocals. It's a high damn song to sing, but you pulled it off well!

Thanks. Funny thing that makes me cringe but a good lesson: this was early enough on after first learning it that I still had to look down at my hands for that organ part. After the first verse when I am holding that note, you distinctly hear it go flat as I look down at my hands. I think it was a combination of shifting my focus from vocals to keys, but also subconscious that you tend to look up for higher notes and down for lower notes, so when I looked down my pitch dropped. Later I always made sure my hands were already in position so I didn't have to look down. The other thing was that our drummer at the time had some tempo issues and it got pretty fast by the end, which was a bit uncomfortable.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Depends on the amplification. But I never played it with a sim. The left hand is important because its notes you play as much as mashing the gas that causes the character of the dirt and growl. I would play a octave Ds or a spread D5 in the bass. Depended on the clean headroom. I used a ridiculous Low Boy with a huge amp back in the day that would keep up anybody but it had too much clean headroom compared with most Leslies that were used on rock recordings. That big left hand pedal tones helps make the right hand sounds the way it does. It might be harder if you are playing the guitar part.... I don't know.

With the fake digital stuff if you get close I would be fine with it. With the real thing you figure out how to squeeze things out of your particular Leslie. Same with the drawbars. There is no set formula.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Depends on the amplification. But I never played it with a sim. The left hand is important because its notes you play as much as mashing the gas that causes the character of the dirt and growl. I would play a octave Ds or a spread D5 in the bass. Depended on the clean headroom. I used a ridiculous Low Boy with a amp back in the day that would keep up anybody but it had too much clean headroom compare with most Leslies that were used on rock recordings. With the fake digital stuff if you get close I would be fine with it. With the real thing you figure out how to squeeze things out of your particular Leslie. Same with the drawbars. There is no set formula.

That's exactly how I played it in the above video (LH Octave D's) and even with the Kronos Leslie Sim, it makes a big difference in the sound.

Dan

What I always liked was the way the attack distorts and makes it sound so heavy. A great sound. Those early Styx albums were produced so well. I chased this exact sound for years and never got much closer than your video. Great song.

Incidentally this song was not originally written as a heavy rocker but more of a working mans lament. Try this version next time!:

[video:youtube]

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

What I always liked was the way the attack distorts and makes it sound so heavy. A great sound. Those early Styx albums were produced so well. I chased this exact sound for years and never got much closer than your video. Great song.

Also remember that DDY didn't use a standard leslie. He used a Wilder speaker cabinet, which were made in Chicago where Styx came from. DDY says those cabinets are the key to his sound and he has yet to hear a cabinet as good as them. Wilder ceased to exist in the 1970s so they would be very hard to find. A Wilder rotating cabinet did surface on the 'bay some years ago.

Unfortunately when DDY split from Styx, the stipulation stated that the Styx warehouse and its contents belonged to his former band and he neglected to retrieve his keyboards cabinets and amps from the warehouse before he closed the deal.

Also I'm just going to go ahead and admit that whenever I hear the intro to this song, I mentally substitute the intro to "Just the Way You Are," which I think markedly improves both (annoying) songs.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Archived