Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using a UPS for your Live Rig

SensationLive

Hi. Just purchased a Kronos 2 LS. Love the sound but hate the boot time. I was thinking of adding a small UPS dedicated to the Kronos so as to avoid any issues with power surges or unexpected visitors on stage knocking out my power cable. Does anyone use one and does it cause any buzz or degradation of sound. I am not concerned with it lasting for 1 hour on UPS, just handling the "oopsies" I was looking at this unit but if anyone has suggestions or recos would be much appreciated. Thanks.

https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/computers-and-tablets/computer-accessories/back-up-power-supply/cyberpower-cp425sg-battery-backup-%28ups%29/p/6114019

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not have a UPS but you will probably get plenty of responses from people who wouldn't use a Kronos without one. There are two related but separate issues concerning power:

a) any flavor of power interruption will result in the dreaded Kronos boot time.

b) beyond actual power outages, there are issues of surge protection and power conditioning (i.e. getting clean power). This has more to do with preventing damage to your equipment.

A garden-variety UPS will solve a) but may be totally inadequate (despite manufacturer claims) for b).

I was more concerned about b) than a). So my solution to a) is "play a song that only requires my Nord during the reboot." My solution for b) was to buy a fairly expensive, reputable power conditioner (SurgeX 1810).

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I recommend you read through this thread:

Clonk

..particularly the comments by Mark Schmeider.

I know you were asking about UPS/boot time issues..but I just want to make sure that you don't think you are necessarily getting adequate power protection with a consumer-grade UPS.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

If you gig with a Kronos then you would be crazy not to gig with a UPS. I run my entire keyboard rig off a 900VA 480W UPS. I have automatic voltage regulation correcting brownouts and overvoltages from 83V to 147V.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Tripplite seems to be the better for musician or audio equipment needs. SurgeX makes UPS's too but very pricey.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I saw where someone used a lithium power supply to power the Mojo. They thought it would be a good idea where power was dodgy. Might be an idea for your Kronos

link

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Yeah I've been gigging the original ver. 1 Kronos 73 since I ordered it pre-release, and have been using a small APC UPS for almost the same amount of time. My primary concern wasn't power quality, but preventing reboots for short power interruptions.

Because I freelance and gig in several different bands / gigs / calls, the main concerns were 1) keeping the keyboard rig powered (both boards), and 2) schlep factor.

The unit I chose is a small unit that looks like a normal power strip on steroids, not a rack mountable or more robust one. This little guy is enough of a nuisance to stick in the gig bag as it is.

It has saved me countless embarrassing headaches, as so many venues (even the upscale ones) are subject to momentary power losses due to every imaginable factor (including human error - mine or someone else's).

If you have ANY keyboard with a boot cycle (I don't imagine Kronos is the only offender here), my opinion is a gigging pro should include the UPS in the necessary column, just like spare cables, etc.

I've used APC UPS units for decades, very well built units (and they do take care of warranty issues quickly).

PC3 doesn't take as long as Kronos, but still too long to reboot.

Get something that has user replaceable batteries, they go bad in 2-3 years. Most APC units can very easily be replaced.

I've got UPS on the HDTV in the living room, especially the cable box that takes 6 minutes to reboot. UPS on all the computers, both PC and Mac. Ranging from 300VA to 1300VA. The smaller ones will generally handle one or two keyboards with no problem. Larger ones get heavy. Don't try to run the amplifiers with UPS unless you go to a really large one.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

you can set up the UPS outlets to power down by timer. there's usually 2 banks so you could

set the high current users to shut down early if not immediately.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Never thought about it, and I'm not shy about buying gear when needed.

My Nords reboot fast (and handle dirty power quite well), I'll be back on the air before the guitarists figure out what happened. Hundreds of gigs, no issue. Power glitches, minimal impact.

I do have surge protectors though.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

When I first bought my Kronos I got the APC UPS that looks like a large power strip with as I recall 3 outlets protected and 3 not. It worked just fine but ended up getting damaged (mechanically - physically broken) and I never fixed or replaced it, I've played without it for a few years now and have never had an issue with the Kronos, but maybe I've just been lucky with good power. Only time I ever actually needed it was a rehearsal for a wedding at an outdoor gazebo in a park. They hadn't turned on the power. I didn't even plug in the UPS. I plugged the Kronos and K10 into it, running my keyboard and the vocal mic into the k10, and we rehearsed on battery power.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

My Nords reboot fast (and handle dirty power quite well), I'll be back on the air before the guitarists figure out what happened. Hundreds of gigs, no issue. Power glitches, minimal impact.

Oddly enough, I purchased my SurgeX 1810 because I was having lockups on my Stage2 which seemed to be related to power fluctuation. It would play but would get stuck on a Organ section screen. I haven't had this symptom since getting the power conditioner. However, I freely admit that it is possible that subsequent firmware releases (and not the power conditioner) have been the cure.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Archived