Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer Model D ship dates keep slipping

GRollins

My sympathies, man.

I won't say, "it's worth the wait." I've always hated that expression. How are you supposed to quantify the cost--by any metric you might choose--of a waiting period?

But it's a fun li'l booger...

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who might be interested, the Behringer Model D shows as "In Stock & Ready To Ship" at Musician's Friend. I have not checked other retailers.

The last time MF showed the D as being in stock it only lasted a few days before they sold out again. From comments Uli Behringer has made about their backorder situation, I would assume that the pattern will remain for the foreseeable future.

I haven't watched Sweetwater, et. al. so I don't know if they get their stock at the same time as MF or if it alternates, or what. Those who have it in mind to get a D might want to check the retailer of their choice and order while they're available, because the backorder periods seem to be considerably longer than the in stock periods and I doubt that their stock is all that deep.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Ok, just was lukcy yesterday. Walked into a music store for something and saw the BOOG standing there. It was 40 euro more than my pre-order. Managed to talk 35 off of it, so for 5 euro more I didnt have to wait 8 more weeks. Pre order cancelled and ready to go!

I like it so far!

Rudy

• 2 months later...

Well, here we are in the latter stages of July and the Behringer Model D is still in short supply on the retail market. Musician's Friend is currently saying 7/31/18, but the price remains the same at $299.99 w/free shipping.

So...

I just watched a used one go down on eBay for $290 + $40 shipping...that's $330 for a used D when you can get one brand new for $300 if you're willing to wait a bit; $250-260 if you're willing to wait for a sale.

Hmmm...

I swear I'm going to put in an order for, like, ten of the things, then eBay them as new as soon as they come in. I mean, really, the worst case scenario is that I end up keeping the silly things at which point I can poly chain them--if memory serves, you can chain up to sixteen of the buggers, right?

I'm still liking mine, by the way. It ain't perfect, but it's cheap and it's fun.

Grey

For what it's worth.... I preordered a Model D from Sweetwater. Told that they expect them ~ August 13th.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

Still wanting a Subsequent 37 ......

I've got a Little Phatty, the ancestor of the 37. I think it's a pretty good package.

Grey

• 4 weeks later...

So, My Behringer Model D arrived yesterday. This thing is a blast. Found some Minimoog patch sheets on the internet to get me started.

Next project will be to figure out how to interface it with all my other stuff (especially the Microbrute, Beatstep, and all of the Eurorack modules that I built). Have to get ready for some other gigs, though. I had to take my Yamaha V50 out of the studio to make room.

The filter is incredible- when I used to listen to Wendy Carlos' Switched on Bach, I was amazed how the sounds just sparkled. You can find a sweet spot on the cutoff to make this sound. To my ears, this is the real deal.

One comment-- Mine only came with the "Quick Start Manual", not the full Users Manual. Downloaded the users manual, so no harm.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

At least as of a few days ago, Musician's Friend actually had them in stock, ready to go. Don't know about Sweetwater, et. al.

I still like mine, though I haven't used it in a bit--been recording (or trying to) and the tracks I've been doing haven't required a pure synth sound. Still, fun toy and the price (especially if you get it on sale) is nice.

Grey

• 2 weeks later...

OK- I really am enjoying playing and programming this thing. One comment- the manual sucks. Hasn't been an issue, because I have been able to figure out the routing etc using my ears.

One thing that I haven't been able to figure out- Oscillators 1 and 2 have a "LO" range on the frequency selector. This lets each of these oscillators to go way below audio frequencies and implies that they can be used as an LFO. How could either of these oscillators be used as a mod source? I guess this question would apply to the Minimoog as well.

(I understand how OSC 3 can be used as a mod source)

How could either of these oscillators be used as a mod source? I guess this question would apply to the Minimoog as well.

You cant - unless you borrow CEB's drill :o. You can frequency modulate those oscillators at their low frequency with Osc 3 for some gnarly bass sounds. On the original mini you have very limited range with only the upper notes giving you anything melodic. But using CV input allows more notes to take advantage of this. Of course you also get this with midi.

Great question.

Archived