Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer Model D ship dates keep slipping

GRollins

2/9/18

The Behringer Model D has arrived. The box looks to be in good physical condition, but I'm going to work on the bathroom for a little while longer before succumbing to the temptation to mess with the little booger. I've waited 78 days...I can wait another hour.

(...maybe...)

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2/9/18

The Behringer Model D has arrived. The box looks to be in good physical condition, but I'm going to work on the bathroom for a little while longer before succumbing to the temptation to mess with the little booger. I've waited 78 days...I can wait another hour.

(...maybe...)

Grey

so, 700 posts about a product you have been waiting for being late and now you are going to do something else for a while before you decide to get to it. :facepalm::D

When you gotta go, you gotta go...

I got the shipping confirmation after my impulse buy yesterday. Should receive it on Tuesday.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

I was a good boy and put in almost 2 1/2 hours on the bathroom before starting on the D.

First impressions:

--Fit & finish are a little less than you might expect, or at least wish for. The aluminum centers on the knobs show some minor marring. The wooden(?) end caps have some very small dings on the sharp edges. The inner poly bag was a little haphazardly sealed.

--For your money you get the synth, a wall wart, a pair of 1/8" cables to patch with, a ribbon cable (I assume that it's for Euroracking), an owner's manual and a Behringer sticker.

--I DEFINITELY don't ever want anything smaller than this...ever. I keep hitting the tuning knobs when I go to change waveform or whatever. The Roland SE-02 is hereby, completely and forever, off the table. For the record, my hands are average to perhaps slightly larger than average, but certainly not huge, by any means. My weight is under control; my fingers are not fat.

--That said...this thing is fun. Lots of fun.

Back to fiddling. More later.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

6 pages of thread and you post this measly review once it arrived?

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Sorry, but I'm having to sneak down to the Dungeon in between other things.

Blame it on my age if you must, but I find the D's knobs & buttons control panel to be far more intuitive to use than the hybrid half-knobs/half-selection strategy on the Little Phatty.

Still liking it, even if it is mere mono. Right now I'm just playing it by itself, using the Fatar keybed/midiboutique encoder. I have yet to try deep oscillators in conjunction with the Little Phatty or poly chaining.

My reservations about the finish notwithstanding, I find the feel of the knobs and switches to be reassuringly firm. It has enough heft that it doesn't feel completely like a toy, but not so much that it would be difficult to carry around for those who have to worry about weight.

Yes, the knobs are as tight as I can stand, spacing-wise. They're just on the verge of being too small, but not quite. They're right on the hairy edge. One size smaller and I'd be bitching. As it is, I can live with it. I do wish they'd opted for a little larger format, physically, but I'll get used to it. I'm guessing that if I decide to go the poly chain route I'll be thankful that it's no larger than it is.

Speaking of poly chaining, I'm not sure how much I'd relish all the tuning I'd have to do to keep several of these puppies tracking together. I'm not yet sure how stable the tuning is yet--I keep twisting things on purpose or bumping them by accident.

Grey

Oh.

My.

Gawd.

What I'm calling "deep oscillators" is friggin' orgasmic. I've got the D running in parallel with the internal oscillators in the Little Phatty. That's five oscillators, total. And all I can say is...it's better than I'd dreamed. Rich, chocolaty, and so thick you could fluff it and use it as a pillow. Seductive. I'm likin' this.

My initial impression is that the oscillators in the D are hanging pretty tight. Granted, it's in a temperature-controlled environment, not an outdoor gig, but it's doing at least as well as the Phatty. I'll keep an eye on it and report again later, as I know that this will be of interest to many.

Grey

Perhaps this would be a good time for Grey or anyone else who got one to start the "Behringer Model D first impressions" thread.

I'm on it.

Grey

... put in almost 2 1/2 hours on the bathroom ...

Blame it on my age if you must ...

Oh.

My.

Gawd.

... friggin' orgasmic

I'm on it.

I know that this will be of interest to many.

Actually, no. Most of us find this TMI. :o;)

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

Always heartwarming to hear from my fan club.

Glad you could make it. Here's an autographed photo. I'll see you at the next scheduled event, okay?

Grey

My Sweetwater rep told me on Friday that they will be getting their initial shipment soon and that he wasnt sure when hed be able to ship a unit to me. I called MF, got 15% off and it will ship tomorrow. I called my Sweetwater rep and left voicemail to cancel my order.

I'm not sure what's up with Behringer's shipment strategy. They shipped at least two batches to Germany that I know of before the US got any. I'm not fussing about that, per se, I just wish they were more transparent about their intentions.

I would have thought that they would ship some to Musician's Friend and Sweetwater at the same time. I guess I was wrong. Musician's Friend told a number of people (including me) that they had 500 on order, of which 300 were sold, leaving 200 as stock. By the 200/day figure that Uli was giving out, that's only 2 1/2 day's output for them. You'd think that if push came to shove, they'd send 3-400 to MF to at least cover the preorders, and slip Sweetwater a few at the same time, to avoid the appearance of favoritism or something. Then ship in another batch to be stock.

I haven't tried to estimate how many D's would fit on a standard 4' x 4' shipping pallet, but maybe it's 500. It may turn out that they only ship in lots of 500, because that's a pallet's worth.

Grey

Dude, you have no idea...

(Of course, there are people here who are already convinced that I'm full of it. Maybe this will improve my reputation.)

Grey

I would have thought that they would ship some to Musician's Friend and Sweetwater at the same time

If MF placed their order earlier, it would not be inexplicable that they would receive stock sooner.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Jeez...

There's a Behringer Model D "new" on eBay for...wait for it...$399.00...

...and there's a bid.

Uh, should someone break it to the poor bidder that he/she is overpaying by $100, relative to list price, and that with even minor effort the thing can be bought on sale for even less?

And to add insult to injury, they'll pay for shipping when they could have free shipping, and they'll have to wait until the auction is over, then wait for delivery, when the unit could be half-way there if they'd bought at a retailer...?

It makes me wonder about people. Don't they do even rudimentary homework?

Grey

It makes me wonder about people. Don't they do even rudimentary homework?

There were iPhone X's on eBay selling for premium prices back in November. No doubt for those unable to wait a month for the next shipment at the Apple store (or wherever). Folks with more dollars than sense.

Just remember P.T. Barnum's famous words...

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Folks with more dollars than sense.

A group that no doubt includes me, but still...

It just goes to show--at least in my case--that no matter how little money you have, you can have even less sense.

Grey

• 2 months later...

ow man... I'm having the same Behringer woe's as you Grey.

My Boog model D should have arrived this week. Instead I heard today it will arrive beginning of July.......

Rudy

I've been posting a few things about this in the First Impressions thread.

Uli indicates that they've just shipped their 10,000th unit and that they currently have orders for another 15k (up from 10k). He says at the rate that orders are coming in, he's not sure when they'll get ahead of the curve.

You have my sympathy. I waited over two months for mine, which wouldn't have been a problem if they had simply said, "Dude, it'll be about two months." But, noooo...they had to have all this silly stuff with ever-changing ship dates. I just didn't appreciate the head games (intentional or otherwise).

That said, I still like my D. I'm glad I ordered it when I did because at this point I've been able to mess with it for a while and, yes, it's a nifty toy.

Just wish I had more time to play, but they don't sell that in stores.

Grey

P.S.: I'm of two minds as to how to handle the preorder thing for the (presumed) eventual ARP 2600 clone. Order one the first day and hope to get a spot near the head of the line, or wait until they're actually in stock. At this moment, I feel that I'd rather get in early. If they're as popular as the Moog D clone, there's no telling how long it would be before they're actually available in the sense of order and have it ship the next day. All subject to change without notice, depending on how grumpy I am when they're officially announced.

• 3 weeks later...

Two notes as of this evening:

1) I was looking at (real) Moogs on eBay, but was cross-listed to a Behringer Model D because the ad's text compared it to the original Moog. Out of curiosity, I waited an hour until the auction ended--it went for $320.00. Yep. $20 more for a used piece than they're selling for new. (When you can get them.)

--which brings me to--

2) I looked at Musician's Friend...they're supposedly going to be available 5/18/18. Assuming that to be correct (not really all that good a bet, based on past experience, but...), you could order a new one and have it ship next Friday for free, thus saving the $17.87 that the eBay sale was charging for shipping, and get the unit itself both new and cheaper. And if you could catch a sale, then you could get it even cheaper still.

Grey

Archived