Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aretha �I Say a Little Prayer�

Jazz+

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That Rahsaan Roland Kirk video of Say A Little Prayer is my absolute fave of his. Unfortunately, it's not available on utoob in the U.S. When I click on it in the above post, it says "This video contains content from Eagle Rock. It is not available in your country." If anyone knows a workaround, let me know. I used to post it to friends and other boards every so often but can't do that any more.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I don't see the video in either of those. It's a still pic that says Roland Kirk/Volunteered Slavery. It's the video of the live performance that makes it killer. Do you see the video of the performance?
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

The Aretha vid led to this one. Listen to the long piano and organ intro, then the playing throughout. Backing vocals are excellent, nice sax fills. And then of course there's Aretha.

[video:youtube]

I don't see the video in either of those. It's a still pic that says Roland Kirk/Volunteered Slavery. It's the video of the live performance that makes it killer. Do you see the video of the performance?

Yes, both posts above link to the same RRK video. I clicked on both, they're videos not stills.

The Aretha vid led to this one. Listen to the long piano and organ intro, then the playing throughout. Backing vocals are excellent, nice sax fills. And then of course there's Aretha.

This vid has shown up here before, I believe as an iconic example of gospel playing in the pop context. It's so soulful and good I always need a minute for a smoke and a cuddle after hearing it.

Presumably that's Queen A on the Wurly (?) as well...

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Yes, both posts above link to the same RRK video. I clicked on both, they're videos not stills.
Hmm. No matter how I load it, I don't see the video. I wonder what's going on ...

That dailymotion link works. Thanks!

Gawd I love that video. It's so ... out there.

I had exactly same experience using Firefox on Android, YT, still pic, audio played fine, Daily Motion full vid.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Burt Bacharach penned this one! My problem with this otherwise excellent tune, is it is too short.

There's a short documentary (around 6-7 minutes IIRC) out on YouTube someplace (couldn't find it this time) about Bacharach recording "Alfie" with Cila Black (and George Martin producing). Bacharach wrote the orchestration for the session, flew to London for the session, then conducted the singer and orchestra. Bert had them doing something like 40+ takes, perfectionist that he was. George Martin asked Bert what it was he was looking for in these takes. Bert said "that little bit of magic". George Martin said "I think that happened around the 4th take".

That's a great version. However I actually prefer this version from her Live At The Filmore album. It's more "electric" and having the live audience to play off (stoned out hippies that they were :) ) of course doesn't hurt the electricity either. I forget if it's Donny Hathaway or Leon Pendarvis on the studio date but it's Billy Preston on the live one. Aretha dug his playing because you can hear her say "Play it, Billy" around the 0:42 mark. There are a couple videos from the actual camera recording on YouTube as well but their audio mix is even worse.

This vid has shown up here before, I believe as an iconic example of gospel playing in the pop context. It's so soulful and good I always need a minute for a smoke and a cuddle after hearing it.

Presumably that's Queen A on the Wurly (?) as well...

I'm sure this vid has been around before. KJust happened across it again tonight. Some very expressive Wurly playing as well as Bonnie's slide playing.

Archived