Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I was the only person on the planet who didn't see Rain Man when it came out in 88'. So I bought it and watched it the other night.

Dustin Hoffman gave an incredible performance. Two thumbs up for Dustin. :thu::thu:

Now, beyond that great performance, what's the point of this movie? I enjoyed it but I don't see what all the noise was about. Cruise's character goes through a change. Ok. But on the box it says, "An Odyssey" and "A Deep and Provocative Delight". It won best picture that year and I just don't see it as anything special. Am I missing something?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My memory of Rain Man:

No you're right, it is a good story but the script isn't.

Not only do the movie last forever, Tom Cruise acts like as if this is another Top Gun and the script is revolving around his character Charlie rather than Raymond (Dusin Hoffman). Hoffman's acting is simply so much better than Cruise's that it's embarrasing to watch. It feels like we are watching another Hollywood movie designed primarily for boxoffice success, I wasn't very moved by it. Luckily, the ending isn't very Hollywood-esque and that might be what saves Rain Man from feeling too shallow. Not bad, but not good either. B+

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I too enjoyed the movie because of Dustin Hoffman, but geez, I'm glad SOME people besides me think that Tom Cruise is a really lame excuse for an actor. The guy is about as deep as a cookie sheet. He was cute in "Risky Business" precisely BECAUSE he was supposed to be kind of a shallow yuppie kid... ditto I suppose for "Jerry MacGuire," but any attempt he's made to play a serious role just totally falls flat IMO, and a LOT of people seem to think he's a fine actor. Blah.

I was playing keys at Ceasars when they filmed it. They shot a couple scenes in the room where I played, but they replaced all of us musicians with actors. I walked through a few scenes, but ended up on the cutting room floor. Oh well, their loss.

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

I'm glad SOME people besides me think that Tom Cruise is a really lame excuse for an actor

any attempt he's made to play a serious role just totally falls flat IMO, .

Have you seen "Interview With A Vampire", "A Few Good Men", or "Minority Report".

I thought he did a great job in those films. Add "Mission Impossible" to that list -the first one, not the second...I didn't see the second one, so I can't comment on it. I'll have to see "Eyes Wide Shut" again. That was a strange movie. I think there was a lot of symbolism there that I missed the first time around. I think it would have been a tough film to act in.

I like Tom Cruise. Yeah, he did "Top Gun" and "Cocktales", which I couldn't stand. But when he finally came around and stopped doing chick-flix and started getting serious, I think he's done a great job.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Have you seen "Interview With A Vampire", "A Few Good Men", or "Minority Report".

??

His acting in "Interview" was atrocious. What was with that affected accent? Was it supposed to be a Boston accent or what?

In "Minority Report" he played the same action hero character he always does. It worked for the film but he doesn't have much range.

Haven't seen "A Few Good Men" so I can't comment.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Super 8:

Not the last, but the first two. As well as "Born On the Fourth of July." Ugh. Good films and good roles, but yikes... Cruise's acting failed to convince me at all. And kinda like Hoffman's great acting was such a stark contrast in "Rain Man," I felt the same about Brad Pitt in "Vampire." Pitt made Cruise look like a chump, IMO. Oh well.

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

??

His acting in "Interview" was atrocious. What was with that affected accent? Was it supposed to be a Boston accent or what?

In "Minority Report" he played the same action hero character he always does. It worked for the film but he doesn't have much range.

Haven't seen "A Few Good Men" so I can't comment.

It was supposed to be a French accent. Yikes.

I completely agree with all of you about Cruises awful acting. But there was one film I thought he was pretty damn good in...Vanilla Sky.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Cruise suffers from the "pretty boy" effect. It's easier for filmgoers to take, say, Malkovich more serious because he's not a male model. Cruise has the chops, when script and director are the right mix. "A Few Good Men" was one example. So was "Vanilla Sky", although the REST of the movie sucked.

I was one of those who thought Cruise was NOT an actor until his performance in "Born On The Fouth Of July". If you saw it, you'll know what I mean when I mention the part where he's giving a speech in his hometown after returning in his wheelchair(at a Fouth of July picnic), and in the middle of his speech, he hears a baby cry. The sound(you'd have to see the film to understand why)causes him to get lost mid sentence, and the look Cruise put on his face showed me he can damned sure act if he needs to!

Just pick better scripts, Tom!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Not the last, but the first two. As well as "Born On the Fourth of July." Ugh. Good films and good roles, but yikes... Cruise's acting failed to convince me at all.

Well, I don't know what to say about that, actually. I thought he did a great job in those films -I didn't see the "4th of July". He never came across to me as a poor actor in the least. But then, what do I know? I think William Shatner is a good actor. :eek: I also think Neil Peart is a good drummer :D ...

Tom's not like my favorite actors.... people like Jack Nicholson, or Marlon Brando, or Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor in Star Wars, or Gene Hackman. These are people who put a certain something into their acting roles that is so cool, I don't even care about the movie....I'd just pay to see them act.

But then, a lot of actors aren't really like them, and they are still considered to be good actors.

Cruise isn't like that, but neither is Brad Pitt...and I like Brad Pitt too.

I dunno. I guess different strokes for different folks.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Uh oh...

Tom Cruise was in Magnolia. That movie freaked me out. He did alright in that one. There is something about him that makes it hard to take him seriously a lot of the time. It's kinda like when Sting tries to act. It's like, "Hey that's Sting!" instead of buying into the character.

I watched CastAway this week. Pretty slow film. Touching in spots.

It's funny, 'cause:

A)Rain Man is on TBS right now, and

)As much of a movie freak I am, I've never seen this film in its entirety.

I'm no Cruise fan, but I thought he did a darn good job in "The Last Samurai". I do agree that it's more about him picking the right role IN the right movie. Although I think Crowe is a better actor, they both seem to like movies where they have to yell alot...like that's their thing.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Archived