Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does aural perception change day to day?

rickzjamm

I've noticed some days my digital AP sounds great & other days very plastic. It's the same set up but for some reason some days are different than others, also certain keys on the DP sound fine one day & out of tune the next...

am I crazy or does anyone else go through this?

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It even goes to certain tone colors, intervals & chord structures. Most days they are what they are & other days... questionable. So is it day to day change or something deeper... emotional state, stress, progressing age?
You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

There are any number of things that can alter your sensorium. Obviously, alcohol and pot fall into that category, but also more mundane things like lack of sleep (that's me) or whether you've experienced loud noise that day (do you work in a boiler factory?), which would cause hearing fatigue.

Or perhaps you were wanting something more external? The condition of your AC line changes hour-by-hour. RF and digital hash get thrown into the line. The power supplies in your audio gear don't necessarily filter all of it out, so it ends up as low level distortion and noise. (None of this matters for a 7' Baldwin...obviously.)

Sometimes it's just a matter of mood. If I'm wanting to rock out then I'm a lot more tolerant of distortion than I am if I'm feeling more jazzy. The settings you had yesterday may simply not fit your current head space.

Choose some, all, or none of the above, throw in a pot, add a pinch of salt, simmer for an hour...then throw it out the window and play some music that sounds good to you.

Or take a nap. Me? One of the kids came and woke me up an hour after I'd gone to sleep last night, said he wanted to puke, did so, then promptly passed out on the couch, leaving my wife and I wide-eyed for most of the remaining night. Sleep deprivation is normal for me, but that doesn't mean I like it. Today, nothing sounds right because I'm fatigued, but at least I know what's wrong and why and how to fix it.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

My aural perception changes by rate of pay. For some reason it can tolerate a lot more cr@p when it means I can eat. ;)

7 foot Baldwin - of course this is going to change with weather, tuning and regulation. Wood, strings, felts, etc sound a lot different damper <-> dryer, cooler <-> hotter.

Temp and humidity also affect modern electronic amplification methods as the sound needs to travel through air to our ears either way.

And of course, all kidding aside, our perception of how "good" something sounds definitely involves the psychology of perception. If we're tired, irritated, have already been listening to grating timbres for some time, etc. we're not going to be happy with what we hear unless we are open to the notion that the stimuli can alter our perception. If that makes any sense... For example, doing a gig without your own amplification and trying to get feedback from the vocal monitors about timing and velocity, eq, timbre, etc. can be very frustrating and you can easily be disheartened about what's happening and it can ruin the night for you. On the other hand, if the sound guy is doing his/her job out front - the audience may very well be really pleased with the gig regardless of how you feel about it.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

We hear an interpretation of the vibrations our cochlea receives. (This is different from the eye, where the calculation takes place right at the optical nerve, PRE-brain. That's one reason sight leads sound for humans and not vice versa.) Many factors can effect that interpretation, and some were mentioned above.

But a few things can also effect the vibrations themselves. The cochlea is a fluid-filled environment. But we don't hear sound as if it is in liquid. That's because the nerve fibers there are perfectly tuned for the amount of fluid they are in. So even the slightest bit of an increase can alter your hearing. And simple things can result in that increase: too much salt (which you can easily experience just from taking a daily antacid), or allergies, or minor irritations or infections. In other words, things we can all encounter every day.

So yes: it's not unusual for similar sounds to seem different day to day, and sometimes the reason is simpler than we suspect.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I've noticed some days my digital AP sounds great & other days very plastic. It's the same set up but for some reason some days are different than others

Environment can play a role. Humidity and ambient temperature affects how fast sound will move through the air.

MPCX, RD-800, Vsynth, Matrix 12

My aural perception changes by rate of pay. For some reason it can tolerate a lot more cr@p when it means I can eat. ;)

:like:

Temp and humidity also affect modern electronic amplification methods as the sound needs to travel through air to our ears either way.

My aural perception sometimes changes several times a day and even when using the same cans.

Also the/my impression of "fingers to keys connectivity" varys day and nite and even I play the same keys.

The timeframe between midnight and ~4:00h a.m. is the worst for me ...

Sometimes I really found my Minimoog D sound boring or felt completely disconnected from my prefered weighted 88-keys action, which changed again after I had a break, some sleep and a breakfast (or lunch).

I think, getting tired and losing concentration is causing this, too much other stress too.

A.C.

To this day I am convinced that burglars broke into the studio where my band was recording an album in the '90s, moved a bunch of faders, then left and locked up without taking anything. Multiple times. Sometimes nightly.

It is the *only possible* explanation after hearing the mix on the following day. ;)

Archived