Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hiromi is a monster: new BBC live

Jazz+

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:pop: She always blows me away when she plays. The first time I heard her play Desert On The Moon in 2006, I knew she was not going to disappoint in her performances. Thanks for the post Jazz+ :like:

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

There are free transcriptions of her performing that tune . It is " I Got rhythm" by Gershwin. Some German pianist transcribed her very similar previous rendition and shares it along with a bunch of other transcriptions bundled as the " hiromi collection" transcribed by Andreas Haberlin.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

Haha. The Proms is a major Brit event. An annual musical celebration! A promenade festival if you will. ;)

Described really well by Wikipedia actually, the Proms "is an eight-week summer season of daily orchestral classical music concerts and other events held annually, predominantly in the Royal Albert Hall in central London, England, UK. Founded in 1895, seasons now consist of concerts in Albert Hall, chamber music concerts at Cadogan Hall, additional Proms in the Park events across the UK on the Last Night of the Proms, and associated educational and children's events. The season is a significant event in British culture. In classical music."

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

This is not a slam or anything like that, but some of those fast parts remind me of Bugs Bunny cartoons. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I went about 4.5 minutes in. Does she ever get to the Gershwin tune?

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I marvel at her jaw-dropping technical brilliance while experiencing no emotional or visceral connection to her music. Maybe its just me. Ive seen her at Newport in a few settings and cant make it through more than maybe 10 minutes or less.

I marvel at her jaw-dropping technical brilliance while experiencing no emotional or visceral connection to her music. Maybe its just me.

No, I think this "kind" of player is about something different from emotion (other than exhilaration and awe). I think of it as the difference between, say, acrobats and dancers. They use the same "instrument" (their bodies), but one is a "display" and one is an invitation.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I think of it as the difference between, say, acrobats and dancers. They use the same "instrument" (their bodies), but one is a "display" and one is an invitation.

I like that analogy. I think the temptation of possessing such a phenomenal technique is to explore it fully at the expense of musical expression. There are players who have gone in this direction then returned more to the emotional side, resulting in perhaps a richer palette at their disposal e.g. Gonzalo Rubalcaba.

This is not a slam or anything like that, but some of those fast parts remind me of Bugs Bunny cartoons. :)

Seriously ..... That is one of the greatest compliments you can pay to a composer/performer. This would be an interesting premise for a thread on what happened too great composers.

My premise is the line of great composers continued but they are not the modern composers classic music geeks promoted. ( Though I do like Bernstein and Stravinsky) They are people like George Gershwin, Carl Stalling, John Williams, etc.... Carl Stalling and some of the other Looney Tunes composers were titans.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived