Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

From PC3 to Forte

Dave Bryce

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure that you'll find the help you want from here.

If you want more opinions, also check Mastering VAST... :)

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen,Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9,Osmose

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

I'm in the middle of switching. Basically, I'm going to keep my PC3K7 since it can't be beat in terms of control, but for most of my gigs the Forte 7 will be my main board.

Pros;

- Awesome pianos, EP:s, more clarity to the sound. More fx, an audio LINE IN. 76 weighted keys that are playable for most kinds of sounds, fits in a 61 key case. 3GB empty flash memory.

Cons;

- QA banks are gone. I used those a lot. No ribbon jack. I used the ribbon all the time. No sequencer/riffs, fewer assignable controllers.

All in all, the Forte does 90% of what the PC3K7 does, and it excels in almost every way sound wise. It took me about a week to feel comfortable using it for gigs, and it's a whole new machine. Unless you're a bigger midi geek than I am, I doubt you'll be looking back if you switch.

I hope you don't mind me chiming in. I own neither but have long wanted to own either!

I remember a while back, Dave Weiser explained the pros and cons of both. However, if memory serves me right, he was speaking before the updates in terms of 16 way zoning and VAST editing.

With these additions, it is difficult to see past the Forte. I understand Dave himself is set to switch over the theatre rigs from PC3k8 to Forte in due course.

I personally am looking to find out more about the differences between the fully fledged sequencer on the PC3k8 and the step sequencer on the Forte. This may or may not be an important feature to you.

Finally, the Forte is slightly lighter than the PC3k8. Surprisingly, the Forte 8 is bigger in terms of dimensions than the PC3k8. And, I personally prefer the look of the PC3k8 as well as the name. (That is really a moot point. It's just I have always preferred boards with pro sounding names composed of letters and numbers rather than a whole word such as "Forte".) Not a dealbreaker, clearly! Then again, I quite like the name "Artis", so I have no consistency in my views really!!

Will be interested to hear from those who have made the switch...

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

- QA banks are gone. I used those a lot.

Are you sure? I thought they had one touch Favorites banks...10 favorites per bank, 50 banks.

I remember a while back, Dave Weiser explained the pros and cons of both. However, if memory serves me right, he was speaking before the updates in terms of 16 way zoning and VAST editing.

Oh, so they can do 16 zones now? Not just four? Can PC3 banks and setups be ported over?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Yes, there are 16 zones now. And Dave, you are correct - 10 favorites per bank, 50 banks.

As to missing QA banks, I though I miss them coming from a K2600. Not so for me, I'm fine with the new display and favorites. Super easy to use. You won't regard moving to the Forte.

If my PC3x dies where it's not worth repairing I would replace it with a Forte. Nothing else comes close to its capabilities imo. However for my purpose the differences between the PC3x and Forte are negligible. Again, for my purpose ;).

Dave, you are correct - 10 favorites per bank, 50 banks.

Ah! I didn't know there was more than one bank. How do you toggle between banks..?

You use the Channel/Zone Up/Down. You must be in Advanced user mode to use the 50 banks. Display will tell you which bank is active.

Forte has all the same sliders/buttons/pedals/wheels as the PC3K but also has opened up the buttons above the sliders as assignable controllers as well.

On my EP and Clav programs the sliders on the right control effects - reverb, delay, amp distortion, phaser, etc. The buttons above each slider enable/disable the effect.

Having twice the FX horsepower is great, love the new screen... but I do also love the little touches - the LED ladders next to the sliders and the fact that "reverse info" is always active, meaning that when you move a controller, the screen tells you what it's doing. This is available In the PC3K, but it has to be selected on the Master page.

Very excited about the 3GB of user sample memory, mainly because it's a great opportunity for 3rd party sound developers. Purgatory Creek has already released a killer vintage keys collection, can't wait to see what else they and other developers release.

Now that they have 16 zone and full VAST/FX editing, my Broadway shows will be making the switch over the next 6 months or so. Our latest batch of custom road cases was built to fit 4 x PC3K8 and/or 4 x Forte. ;)

Hey, Dave -

Can you import PC3 banks into the Forte?

dB

PC3 programs import pretty seamlessly. The Forte already has all PC3/KORE64 sample, keycaps and fxchains.

Setups import fairly well with one caveat: since the Forte does not include all of the 1000+ PC3 programs, you'll need to save any programs in your PC3 setups as user programs.

QA banks do not translate to favorite banks as far as I know.

I currently have the PC3 & Forte7 while I'm transferring all of my programs/ combis. I first played the Forte several years ago at Dave Weiser's house (thanks Dave!) & a lot of improvements in the OS has been made since. This is one killer board!

I was a little concerned about the heavier action in the Forte since I play a lot of organ and so many other weighted actions are spongey & unresponsive. Well this action took me a while to get used to but it is beautifully playable & very responsive. I do note that it is physically rather noisy but that only bothers my neighbors late at night.

My other concern was the extra few pounds compared to the PC3 but since the Forte is shorter I find it easier to carry. It is hard to find a case that fits which isn't quite heavy. I don't need a road case & wanted a case that wasn't too bulky. Anyway I got a custom case made by Mooradian which fits perfectly & weighs 6 lbs. This was my first experience with them & I rate their customer service second to none.

Dave provided me with his custom sound set & that is a must! In addition to his custom piano, bass & broadway sounds he fixed the organ programs with the double leslie. These sounds are inspiring to play. Thank you Dave & thanks for always answering my messages!

I need to send another shout out to William Busch for the excellent job on the Vintage keys set. I already had this for the Kronos but the Forte makes these sounds come alive! Bill is extremely helpful & deserves a big thank you.

So my bass player is buying my PC3 which means I can borrow it back anytime I want but I think I've mentally, physically & emotionally made the Forte switch. Goodbye my old friend...

Cheers,

Larry

Kurzweil Forte 7, PC3, PC4, Hydrasynth, Kronos 61, UltraNova, Rhodes, Clavinet D6, MiniMoog, GSI Burn, ELX112Ps, SpaceStation, Assorted Weapons

I currently have the PC3 & Forte7 while I'm transferring all of my programs/ combis. I first played the Forte several years ago at Dave Weiser's house (thanks Dave!) & a lot of improvements in the OS has been made since. This is one killer board!

I was a little concerned about the heavier action in the Forte since I play a lot of organ and so many other weighted actions are spongey & unresponsive. Well this action took me a while to get used to but it is beautifully playable & very responsive. I do note that it is physically rather noisy but that only bothers my neighbors late at night.

My other concern was the extra few pounds compared to the PC3 but since the Forte is shorter I find it easier to carry. It is hard to find a case that fits which isn't quite heavy. I don't need a road case & wanted a case that wasn't too bulky. Anyway I got a custom case made by Mooradian which fits perfectly & weighs 6 lbs. This was my first experience with them & I rate their customer service second to none.

Dave provided me with his custom sound set & that is a must! In addition to his custom piano, bass & broadway sounds he fixed the organ programs with the double leslie. These sounds are inspiring to play. Thank you Dave & thanks for always answering my messages!

I need to send another shout out to William Busch for the excellent job on the Vintage keys set. I already had this for the Kronos but the Forte makes these sounds come alive! Bill is extremely helpful & deserves a big thank you.

So my bass player is buying my PC3 which means I can borrow it back anytime I want but I think I've mentally, physically & emotionally made the Forte switch. Goodbye my old friend...

Cheers,

Larry

Always a treat to have killer players come by and play my sounds - I'm tired of my own licks! And It's very helpful for my sound design work.

Regarding size/weight: In general the Kurz boards have been getting lighter. The Forte 88 is 48lbs, the older PC3K8 is 54lbs, and the much older K2600x before that was something like 300lbs. :P

The Forte7 is tough to compare because it has the heavier hammer weighted action. At 41lbs though it's very light for a fully weighted board, and I've seen that it fits into some 61 note cases, which is very cool. (Gator ATA 61 is one I know of for sure.)

Back when I worked at Kurz R&D the requests for fully weighted 76 were overwhelming. So glad that they followed through and delivered it. Reminds me of my beloved KT76 from the 90s. :)

Larry, please come back anytime! The house is overflowing with toddler swag, but thus far the music room is still intact. Open invite for anyone nearby or traveling past Boston on Rt 95, drop by and we'll get some fabulous grub here:

https://www.moodyswaltham.com

The Forte7 is tough to compare because it has the heavier hammer weighted action. At 41lbs though it's very light for a fully weighted board, and I've seen that it fits into some 61 note cases, which is very cool. (Gator ATA 61 is one I know of for sure.)

Back when I worked at Kurz R&D the requests for fully weighted 76 were overwhelming. So glad that they followed through and delivered it. Reminds me of my beloved KT76 from the 90s. :)

Gator 61 fits perfectly, the SKB military grade unfortunately doesn't. I'm loving the format - this week I had a couple of corporate gigs and also had to drop the kids off at school. My entire rig fits in the back of my Voyager with all seats up. That's seven seats and my whole rig (Forte7, Kronos 61, space station amp w. sub, keyboard stand and a bag with pedals.

PC3 programs import pretty seamlessly. The Forte already has all PC3/KORE64 sample, keycaps and fxchains.

How well do PC3 user FX chains import into the Forte when imported together w/ a single PC3 program OR all together w/ p.ex. a PC3 "Everything" file ?

How well do PC3 user FX chains, being stored as isolated PC3 (.PC3/ .3fx) files import into Forte,- and how well will those adapt to already existing Forte (electric-piano) programs when replacing the factory FX chain(s) ?

How well import kb3 user FX chains into Forte,- I did my own single- and double-leslie tweaks and created chains w/ ringmod, wah, amp sims and rotary for PC3, single FX on/off switchable etc..

Is there a difference, p.ex. in gain staging, so it has to be re-done all manually ?

I´m asking because for the PC3 I made my own programs and FX chains and for EPs I just only used the raw layers and factory keymaps, then added insert FX chains using the max of 8 blocks.

Now, when using a Forte and not being satisfied w/ the original PC3 program´s sample sets since they don´t play well w/ velocity,- I´d be interested in using the Forte´s new EP sample sets/keymaps, but together w/ the insert- (and aux) FX chains I previously created in PC3 for EPs.

A.C.

Forte 7 in da house. :cool:

How well do PC3 user FX chains import into the Forte when imported together w/ a single PC3 program OR all together w/ p.ex. a PC3 "Everything" file ?

A bunch of my imports worked, but some did not. My biggest problem seems to be Zone 2 in some of the multis, which is wrong on a bunch of them and for some reason won't let me change the program or deactivate the Zone.

All the custom samples from the PC3K all seem to have transferred and mapped perfectly, and all my custom programs appear to be intact.

BIG thumbs up to brother Busch for his Purgatory Creek Vintage Keys set! Loving that...and Dave Weisers custom set is way killer - no surprise there. :2thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Larry, please come back anytime! The house is overflowing with toddler swag, but thus far the music room is still intact. Open invite for anyone nearby or traveling past Boston on Rt 95, drop by and we'll get some fabulous grub here:

https://www.moodyswaltham.com

The food seems delicious but Hellas i little far away, don't you think, Dave ? :)

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen,Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9,Osmose

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Archived