Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Hang in there, brother Joe!!!!!

Dave Bryce

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a night.

We are fine here, but friends, including some at the other end of our block, got water in their houses. (Most are all over town and I can't say what parts got hit and what didn't.) Some places got over a foot of rain in the last 24 hours, and more is coming. I feel really lucky, but the unending rain can be anxiety-inducing. I look outside and rationally can tell myself that we're okay because right now, the water is nowhere near the house unlike some of my friends.

I'm tired of "historic weather events" though. :(

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Those are some crazy rainfall numbers! I keep up on the DC area rainfall totals throughout the year- published daily in the Washington Post. But I do this with an eye towards potential drought conditions (we're above our average this year with unusual rainfall in July/August). I picked up this strange "habit" having lived in LA in the 90s through years of drought. It just kind of stuck.

I have no concept of what 12 inches or more of rain in a day is like, but I do appreciate how devastating it can be. I hope you're fortune holds out for the duration Joe. Even knowing you will fare OK I can imagine the stress this brings.

Thanks, Mark. In 2011 we had a record heat and drought. The extremes suck.

Houston has lots of bayous that normally don't have more than a trickle in them. Now, they look like real rivers and some have topped their banks.

Heck, I just "paid off" my Kawai last week so it would really tick me off if something happened to it now. ;)

(It's long been paid for, but we did a "loan to ourselves" kind of thing to buy it.)

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

So sorry to hear about your floods Joe: Houston was featured at length on the BBC news tonight. Looked pretty scary. Very worrying indeed if it has reached your block! Is there any good way of protecting a piano in this situation? I am wondering if a groundsheet from a tent could somehow be eased underneath it and positioned to keep it dry....... Nothing must happen to your beautiful Kawai!!

Wising you and yours a safe and dry week. xx

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Right now my immediate area looks fine. I mean, we haven't had any significant rain in a while, and water levels right around here have receded. I can't say for the bayous that are where that water goes - most of them were over their banks last I saw. (I just checked - the closest ones at least are back in their banks).

Really, it depends on the forecast of what the remnants of Harvey are expected to do next.

Anne - I'm not sure what I could do to protect my Kawai and my Hammond/Leslie. I would think if we did have a problem here, it would be inches of water, not feet. That would be bad, but not a total loss depending on how things go. Fingers crossed and all that.

And really, with so many roads and highways flooded, we can't go anywhere anyway.

It has been pretty stressful and made me wonder where I might want to live. Like, another state or something. Someplace that isn't in tropical storm or hurricane territory. That knocks out one of my favorite places, New Orleans, but I think you guys can see why.

I know this is not the best time to be making decisions, but it's not a decision. Probably.

it "must" be bad, Walton and Johnson are in reruns :rolleyes:

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Lived through Katrina and Wilma. Fence was blown down, car mirror smashed off from a falling tree branch. The real problems happen after the storm. No power for 2-3 days, cold showers, the water stings after doing it a few times.

If you have a generator then you need gas to run it. Everyone makes runs on the gas stations and grocery stores. In my case I drove 150 miles to get food and gas, did this twice. That's a 2.5 hour drive to get supplies, filling up 4 jugs of gas, ice, food, then a 2.5 hour drive back. It was basically leave in the morning, get home at night, and other people were doing the same thing.

Traffic is a nightmare because the lights won't be working. Every intersection is treated as a 4 way stop which slows things down. Hard to sleep because everyone has generators running, it's hot, no AC, maybe a fan.

It takes 2 weeks before things get back to normal in terms of traffic.

Korg 01W/FD, Hammond XK-2, Neo Ventilator2, JBL Eon, Rhodes 88

Hoping things are tolerable for family and Kawai, Joe.
Thanks, John.

It's been raining all morning BUT it didn't rain much overnight after my last post, which allowed the area to drain a bit. Combine that with the lower rainfall rates we're getting and the water levels on my street don't appear to be rising. I'd rather the rain just stop already, but I'll take this over rising water levels.

Harvey is offshore again, not expected to strengthen too much, and then move east which should help, eventually. I cannot wait until we're on the other side of this storm, and hope that it doesn't do more damage to anyone.

Lived through Katrina and Wilma.
We went through this after Ike. This is worse than Ike was, which was mostly wind damage here. I was just telling my wife that after this finally blows through, everyone will be out due to cabin fever, and there will be almost no place to go because so many places are water damaged and the ones that aren't will have big lines.

OTOH, Ike knocked out power nearly everywhere, whereas this hasn't. In that regard this will be better. I guess we will see.

Also weird about this storm are the helicopters flying by. I think they're mostly Coast Guard doing rescues. Those guys rock. :thu:

Hoping things are tolerable for family and Kawai, Joe.
Thanks, John.

It's been raining all morning BUT it didn't rain much overnight after my last post, which allowed the area to drain a bit. Combine that with the lower rainfall rates we're getting and the water levels on my street don't appear to be rising. I'd rather the rain just stop already, but I'll take this over rising water levels.

Harvey is offshore again, not expected to strengthen too much, and then move east which should help, eventually. I cannot wait until we're on the other side of this storm, and hope that it doesn't do more damage to anyone.

Lived through Katrina and Wilma.
We went through this after Ike. This is worse than Ike was, which was mostly wind damage here. I was just telling my wife that after this finally blows through, everyone will be out due to cabin fever, and there will be almost no place to go because so many places are water damaged and the ones that aren't will have big lines.

OTOH, Ike knocked out power nearly everywhere, whereas this hasn't. In that regard this will be better. I guess we will see.

Also weird about this storm are the helicopters flying by. I think they're mostly Coast Guard doing rescues. Those guys rock. :thu:

Good to hear that things have apparently peaked for you we've been watching the reports and it's another reminder for us on the left coast that the "Big One" is imminent. Prepare as best we can, all of us.

Good luck there, Joe & family.

Rod

Here for the gear.

My last day job came to a close on July 14th after 21 years. The position was eliminated due to a massive restructuring. I'm fine. I have a new job with the company and the severance package was good.

Well... The timing was such that HR couldn't complete the setup for the new position before my release date. My return was delayed till 9/5/17 to get all my data access security setup. Data Security is in Houston.

One of the hats I wore in the old job was Business Continuity Planning for domestic life operations. We've had to enact short term closures of Houston Operations in the past for flooding from mundane rain storms. Houston floods easily but the drainage and sewer systems make for a fast recovery. I've never seen anything like this. I'm out of the loop because technically not employed right now. Who knows when non critical Operations will be back online. I wish I could help. Who knows when I will return to work.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It has been pretty stressful and made me wonder where I might want to live. Like, another state or something. Someplace that isn't in tropical storm or hurricane territory. That knocks out one of my favorite places, New Orleans, but I think you guys can see why.

I can certainly understand why you'd mull this over while waiting this out. Of course it's kind of a matter of picking your own poison as there's a downside to each region.

You could move north into the heart of tornado alley, or you could head further north to a region where you could freeze to death during a power outage, or you could head to the desert southwest where there are the fewest natural disasters but the oppressive heat feels like a year round disaster, or you could hit the temperate west coast, where the big one could happen at any time.

For the moment though, you're in the worst region there is in the US. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you, Joe, and everyone else there as well.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

You could move north into the heart of tornado alley, or you could head further north to a region where you could freeze to death during a power outage, or you could head to the desert southwest where there are the fewest natural disasters but the oppressive heat feels like a year round disaster, or you could hit the temperate west coast, where the big one could happen at any time.

For the moment though, you're in the worst region there is in the US. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you, Joe, and everyone else there as well.

Thanks, Geoff! I had many of the same thoughts - eliminate half the country because it's too cold (sorry, Jason. Part of me would love to come back to NY or near there) and I'm left with tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, fires, locusts, where's a guy to live without any disasters? :idk:

Thanks, Rod. I think the whole city is ready for this to be over. I hope the rains all day today haven't made anything worse for anyone.

CEB - will your new position ever bring you back down here? Let's meet up if it does. After we've leaned up a bit, of course. ;)

Good chance I will travel to Houston from time to time. My new boss in from Houston. I just saw some pictures of Houston. It's sick.

Nowhere is safe though. Up here the New Madrid fault is due to wipe out the Midwest. The Yellowstone Super Volcano could get us all. The Earth is dangerous.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I can certainly understand why you'd mull this over while waiting this out. Of course it's kind of a matter of picking your own poison as there's a downside to each region.

Best,

Geoff

Oppressive heat ? Not true. Chicago was a miserable summer for me

NYC brutally hot

San Diego has to be concerned about earthquake, but we have AC, and it has been a mild summer so far.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Hang in there Joe and stay safe. Hopefully Harvey passes in the next day or two for you as it shifts east and Houston ends up on the drier west side of the storm. As you know, I'm a 15 year veteran of Houston, as well as an 8 year veteran of New Orleans, and went through a few of these storms. It sounds like this one is even worse than Allison in 2001 in terms of quantity and duration of rain. I swore after that one that I was going to move but I stayed in Houston until 2010 and am glad I did. Even with the storms and flooding, Houston is still a great city and has a helluva lot going for it especially in terms of its music and its strong multicultural vibe.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Hey Scott, it's definitely worse than Allison. If this article doesn't blow your mind, nothing will.

I'm becoming convinced this will be a very different city after this storm. This may be Houston's Katrina, where somethings will come back, and some things won't. Same for the people. I won't begrudge anyone who says they are done with living here.

Oppressive heat ? Not true. Chicago was a miserable summer for me

NYC brutally hot

San Diego has to be concerned about earthquake, but we have AC, and it has been a mild summer so far.

No doubt, any region with a marine layer isn't a typical part of the desert southwest. Coastal California is part of the temporate earthquake prone west coast I was referring toalthough, due to its southern loacation, San Diego is the least temperate of the US West Coast coastal communities.

To exemplify the desert southwest you need to travel at least as far inland as the Central Valley or Palm Springs. I had Phoenix in mind when I used the phrase "oppressive" heat. They spend a good chunk of the year with highs in the 110-120 degree range and lows in the nineties. But the worst weather event they face is summer monsoon flooding, which is rare and tame compared to the flooding we're witnessing now in Houston.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Wow... The rainfall data maps in your linked article speak for themselves WRG to Harvey relative to Allison. Sadly, you may be correct that this event may fundamentally change Houston much like Katrina did to New Orleans.

I still occasionally travel back to Houston for my geological consulting work; it will interesting (and perhaps depressing) to see the city the next time I'm back in October or November. My wife and I have actually considered moving back to Houston during the last couple of years, but we may have to seriously re-consider this in light of what's happening.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

All of my family and friends safe and accounted for there.

Living here we escape most earthquakes (if we get them, they are very minimal), flooding (we live 5,000 feet up), tornadoes (maybe one every few years), no hurricanes or monsoons, though October 2016 we got hit with remnants of Typhoon Songda, *but* we get bad wild fires. This year we have only had a couple of days in the last two months where the sky did not have a brown tinge to it and the fires were only miles away from us.

We need to find a planet that does not have all of this stuff going on.

Continue to stay safe, Joe, and all in the area.

:(

We saw sun and some blue skies this evening!!! :w00t:

The power went out a couple of times today, maybe because they were doing other repairs in the subdivision. That was the worst thing because at first, I thought we might lose it for ages.

Cable modem service is out, and some rumors don't have us back until next week, but I guess it depends on the specific outage. I'm currently using a personal hotspot from my iPhone.

Big sigh of relief here. I don't know what's left of Houston, lots of friends got water and some evacuated, but we are doing okay. Lots of restaurants were actually open tonight, albeit limited. We're getting reports of them as lots of people are stir crazy and wanting to get out. That says a lot of places are coming back. We haven't ventured far, though.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this thread...

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this thread...

Can't tell you how thankful all of us are that you're ok!

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Archived